Anyone playing WoW Classic?

MeggoMeggo Registered Users Posts: 197 Admin
I'm toying with the idea of playing again. I keep watching streams and it's starting to suck me back in... 
Director of Product Marketing at Infosec
Who we are | What we do 

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Ten years ago I gave up all MMORPGs that required your character to be running, running, running, running, and running vast distances to get anywhere.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ya, I can get that.  That is why the retail version evolved into what it is today.    Now you barely have to move or interact and can get to anywhere and do anything pretty much. 
  • MeggoMeggo Registered Users Posts: 197 Admin
    I played...too much during Wrath. Used to go home on my lunch breaks to do daily quests so I could make raid time after work... :P

I don't mind all the running if I'm also leveling up professions and then hustling the auction house. ;) Let me know if any of you start playing regularly. I might start casually leveling a hunter and then play more in the winter. 

Director of Product Marketing at Infosec
    Who we are | What we do 
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    edited September 2019
    What's it cost to get started in WoW Classic these days? $50 for the game and $15/month to play like it was back in 2004? :s
    edited September 2019
    Not sure, I still had the old version of the game from a handful of years back tied to my Blizzard account and it didnt make me purchase Classic... Just had to pay the $15/month
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've been playing off and on since it launched last week. I have a level 18 Hunter.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□

I played on a couple of third party servers before, not sure if they still exist. It was free to play, but if you donated some $, they gave you boosts to your character. There were people that were level 200 on the servers, since there was no level cap. Also there were restrictions using certain spells as it would crash the server.  No sure what they fought to keep earning experience at the level, it was still the original game after all, no expansions. 

I really enjoyed the first 60 levels of WOW, the exploration, the endless searching for healers to join your party, This was one of the reasons I created a Priest character, there was always demands for my skills.

WOW is not the same any more, its all level up quick as possible, no one enjoys the journey to 60 anymore, even new players. While the matching system saves a lot of time finding parties, if your equipment isn't the best available, your quickly kicked and replaced. I remember many a time putting up with a marginal healer or tank because it was too much of a pain to find a replacement. Not to mention there really no skill or planning anymore in the dungeons/ instances.

Used be a lot of planning that when into a "pull". Mage you sheep the orc with the star, Priest sleep the orc with the Moon, Hunter you set a trap and pull the others while the tank attacks the orc marked with the plus. The party would gang up on the one orc, quickly kill it and on to the next Orc the tank attacks, the orc sleeping or the sheep. If things went to plan the hunter would feign death before he ran out of room kiting the other orcs and the party would be ready for the remaining orcs that returned to finish them. Crowd control was critically important, if one of the orcs or party member got too close to another group of orcs they arrgo and it usually lead to a wipe. After a successful battle, we rest for a few minutes giving the healers, mages and warlocks time to regenerate mana, heal party members.

No strategy now, the tank pulls one group after another, no rest between pulls, no planning, just attack kill them quick as possible, attack the next group right away, aggro two groups at once, all the merrier. If a healer can't keep the tank healed or other members, it's his fault, kick him, doesn't matter if the Tank aggro half the instance.  

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • BarbaradsBarbarads Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My brother's favorite, he played for about ten years.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□

I played on a couple of third party servers before, not sure if they still exist. It was free to play, but if you donated some $, they gave you boosts to your character. There were people that were level 200 on the servers, since there was no level cap. Also there were restrictions using certain spells as it would crash the server.  No sure what they fought to keep earning experience at the level, it was still the original game after all, no expansions. 

I really enjoyed the first 60 levels of WOW, the exploration, the endless searching for healers to join your party, This was one of the reasons I created a Priest character, there was always demands for my skills.

WOW is not the same any more, its all level up quick as possible, no one enjoys the journey to 60 anymore, even new players. While the matching system saves a lot of time finding parties, if your equipment isn't the best available, your quickly kicked and replaced. I remember many a time putting up with a marginal healer or tank because it was too much of a pain to find a replacement. Not to mention there really no skill or planning anymore in the dungeons/ instances.

Used be a lot of planning that when into a "pull". Mage you sheep the orc with the star, Priest sleep the orc with the Moon, Hunter you set a trap and pull the others while the tank attacks the orc marked with the plus. The party would gang up on the one orc, quickly kill it and on to the next Orc the tank attacks, the orc sleeping or the sheep. If things went to plan the hunter would feign death before he ran out of room kiting the other orcs and the party would be ready for the remaining orcs that returned to finish them. Crowd control was critically important, if one of the orcs or party member got too close to another group of orcs they arrgo and it usually lead to a wipe. After a successful battle, we rest for a few minutes giving the healers, mages and warlocks time to regenerate mana, heal party members.

No strategy now, the tank pulls one group after another, no rest between pulls, no planning, just attack kill them quick as possible, attack the next group right away, aggro two groups at once, all the merrier. If a healer can't keep the tank healed or other members, it's his fault, kick him, doesn't matter if the Tank aggro half the instance.  

This seems to pretty succinctly sum up vanilla vs current WoW. I spent about 2 days in classic when it released earlier this year. I have to say, the nostalgia was high and I was reminded of the game that I fell in love with. The problem is, I don't have that time to spend anymore, and it's not *quite* the same as that time back in the day when we were all noobs figuring it all out and you had to be social to some degree. I stayed in pretty hardcore through BC, then played casually until Warlords.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @Meggo
    Sorry I cannot play WoW. I just have too much on my plate and I don't need an expensive ex girlfriend constantly pinching me for $$$. I have certifications for that !!! LOL 
    edited November 2019

I'm leveling a character (slowly... not even lvl 60 yet.  47) and this is not how the current WoW Classic is.  Still have to rest in between some pulls.   And definitely dont aggro 2 groups at once or you'll probably be wiping.     I will say there isn't as much CC needed as before.    Players are a lot better today then they were before.    Like LonerVamp mention'd everyone was just noobs figuring out things before.  (not that the players are really good today, just that players were really really bad before)  I still have fun playing it and like the nostalgia factor that comes with it.   Try and log on a couple nights a week after the kids go to bed :)   
  • ngvtruong10ngvtruong10 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sometime i want to play that game again, but so sad that I don't have freetime as much as old time.
    Thế Giới Thợ - Ứng dụng công nghệ giúp gọi thợ sửa chữa
    https://thegioitho.com/
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sometime i want to play that game again, but so sad that I don't have freetime as much as old time.

Not that anyone was asking for it, but one thing you might be able to do to "experience" the game again without the time commit is look at acquiring the music tracks from the various zones and places from classic wow. Honestly, the gameplay brings things back as do the sounds and mechanics, but nothing hit better than hearing the beautiful music in the background of zones.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?