Options

What is your employer-sponsored annual training/conference budget?

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
edited September 2019 in Professional Development
Based on conversations in my circles, I am curious what sort of annual training budget people have out there. Feel free to discuss details.

What is your employer-sponsored annual training/conference budget? 26 votes

What is "training"? (a.k.a zero budget)
42% 11 votes
Under $1000
23% 6 votes
$1001-$2500
3% 1 vote
$2501-$5000
11% 3 votes
$5001-$10,000
15% 4 votes
$10,000+
3% 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Which of these are you referring to?
    • Money that I spend on my own to pay for training/conferences?
    • Money that my agency/company spends as a whole?
    • Money that my agency/company spends per person?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Employer-sponsored; clarified question.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    edited September 2019
    All employers I've been with so far didn't have a fixed budget. One time I got lucky and I got a SANS training, but usually it's nothing. I requested a conference and got reimbursed for it this year
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From what I can tell we have a training budget that is not utilized. My boss goes to some conferences and has expressed the desire to get the team involved moving forward. I won't know till next years budget if it happens.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited September 2019
    I've been averaging a SANS class every six months in the grad cert program and doing one on tuition reimbursement then one on training budge. All travel expenses on the training budget.  So probably in the $5k - $10k range but its close.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    You might get more answers if you add an "I don't know" option to your poll. I have no idea what my employer's training budget is for my branch of the corp org chart. It probably changes as budgets are rebalanced over the course of the fiscal year.
  • Options
    DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It also depends on the employee performance that takes into account on whether you're able to attend conferences or not. I would approximate that you're able to go to at least 1 conference (out of country) a year if you're above average. Same thing goes with taking a infosec course.