Passed the CySA+ exam

TheRedBar0nTheRedBar0n Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Decided to take on the CySA+ after getting the CISSP just to re-enforce my technical knowledge a bit and complement my day to day analyst tasks.

Passed the CompTIA CySA+ on the first attempt (cant remember my score, but was close to about 790ish). Previous test takers were not kidding when they said the exam is heavy on logs.

Had about 4 PBQs (2 were quite challenging but eventually figured it out) and 60-65 multiple choice questions but apparently this varies quite a bit.

Resources used:
Sybex book (Mike Chapple)
Sybex practice test book (Mike Chapple)
-Registered both in the online Wiley test bank
CySA+ Udemy Courses from Jason Dion (both the videos and additional exams)
CySA+ Practice app on the iOS store (seems like there is only one and the questions overlap quite a bit with the Sybex practice test book, but good nonetheless)

My work experience helped answer quite a few questions especially on logs and vulnerability reports, but did not underestimate the exam so ensured I prepped well for about 2-3 months after hours (1-2 hours per night), but still came across questions that were just completely over my head, probably beta.

Comments

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats!
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    Hey, congratulations on the pass, and thanks for the postmortem! Just out of curiosity, what was your motivation to go after the CySA+ over something like the SSCP? I'm about at the point where I need to start deciding on an intermediate security cert, and those are both on my mind.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations! This test has been on my hit list ...
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • TheRedBar0nTheRedBar0n Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, congratulations on the pass, and thanks for the postmortem! Just out of curiosity, what was your motivation to go after the CySA+ over something like the SSCP? I'm about at the point where I need to start deciding on an intermediate security cert, and those are both on my mind.
    Thanks Infosec_Sam! One of the primary drivers for the CySA+ was that my Sec+ was up for renewal in a few months and seeing as I already have a CISSP cert and status, SSCP just wouldn't be worth the pursuit. Plus as mentioned in my first post I wanted to get a cert to complement my day to day tasks and technical competence, so CySA+ was a perfect cert for this need.

From a brief check it looks like there is quite some overlap between Sec+ and SSCP exam objectives whereas the CySA+ is more focused on day to day security operations with some governance garnish added.

Btw, I went straight to CISSP after my Sec+ exam even though ISC2 reps recommended I do SSCP first (like their exams are not costly enough compared to CompTIA). 
    Congratulations! This test has been on my hit list ...
    Thank you and best of luck with the exam!
    mikey88 said:
    Congrats!
    Thanks!
  • LadyHarkenLadyHarken Registered Users Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations for passing the exam, TheRedBar0n! 
    Im preparing to go for the exam next month in October. 
    However, im feeling quite inadequate ( in terms of PBQs )  to head for the exam yet. 
    Would you be able to suggest what i should focus more on? - eg: logs review etc
    Are there any practice labs you can recommend? 
    Thanks!

Congratulations for passing the exam, TheRedBar0n! 
    Im preparing to go for the exam next month in October. 
    However, im feeling quite inadequate ( in terms of PBQs )  to head for the exam yet. 
    Would you be able to suggest what i should focus more on? - eg: logs review etc
    Are there any practice labs you can recommend? 
    Thanks!

Appreciated thanks!

Do you have the Sybex CySA+ practice test book? The logs in the questions where the closest to the exam IMO.

Jason Dion's course on Udemy was also helpful. I recall he has a longish video just on log reviews and vulnerability scanning reports.