Does anyone get to the point

diablo911diablo911 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
When your done with studying, just Bsing through whatever you can just to make it through the class. Im taking my last science class requirement in ocean science and just look for the answers cause i have no desire to learn the material, even if i did i would soon forget it. I took a geology course for example two semesters ago and if you asked what type of random rock on the ground was, i couldn't tell you to save my life. I even looked back on some Trig problems from the class i just got an A in this summer and completely forgot how to do it.

Comments

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    diablo911 said:
    . . .  I took a geology course for example two semesters ago and if you asked what type of random rock on the ground was, i couldn't tell you to save my life . . . 
    This reminds me of a Python course I took on Udemy by Ardit Sulce. His course dug a bit into getting the webcam of a Raspberry Pi to recognize faces because of their shape, with the idea being to create a human motion detector. Ardit's into geospatial/geography type stuff. I guess where I'm going with this is that with the right attitude and a whole lot of persistence, you could probably teach a computer to do that -- to look at a random rock on the ground and tell you what it was.

https://www.udemy.com/user/adiune/

A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly when you are young and in school it is hard to see the value in it.

It is much easier to see the value in a degree when you are older and do not have one.

None of this implies you learned anything. I am talking strictly about value at this point.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you don't see any value and hate it, drop out?

In the end, especially when you're filling electives and doing requirements, you're not going to be given life-valuable lessons every 30 minutes in every class. Sometimes you're just not going to retain or need everything. The same probably happened in high school. I took calculus in high school and I can't say I've ever truly used it since.

On the flip side, if you have an interest in it and *want* to study and put some time in, you will. But, sometimes you gotta want it. And if you can't find that, you're going to have to push yourself and find ways to be happy on the side (exercise, friends, or a hobby usually help the most) or risk burnout and poor performance.

Eventually your job will be somewhat similar. There are things you'll be asked to do that you don't want to do or be enthusiastic about. Or things you just have to do because, well, you have to. This is a great time to learn how you will handle those things and push past them. :)

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The point is (at least to me) that I have a desire to learn, a passion to understand. When I took electives that had no relevance to my degree, for instance art, that is the moment that I would "channel" the artist in myself - and believe me, I had very little understanding for art. But I studied the material, went to a few galleries and did the best I could in the subject. For me, earning my degree also included having a fundamental understanding of other subjects other that my major.

Now that I'm older, I have an appreciation for Art. When I travel, I usually visit an art museum. Everyone is different, but that is me.

Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jon_Cisco said:
    It is much easier to see the value in a degree when you are older and do not have one. 
    And when you have to pay for it yourself.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited September 2019
    diablo911 said:
    When your done with studying, just Bsing through whatever you can just to make it through the class. Im taking my last science class requirement in ocean science and just look for the answers cause i have no desire to learn the material, even if i did i would soon forget it. I took a geology course for example two semesters ago and if you asked what type of random rock on the ground was, i couldn't tell you to save my life. I even looked back on some Trig problems from the class i just got an A in this summer and completely forgot how to do it.

Why You Don’t Need a College Degree to Earn Big in IT

https://blog.itpro.tv/earn-big-in-it/

This is why you need a degree:

A degree lets an employer know that you covered a wide breadth of knowledge in a broad field of study and that you had the discipline to follow through with it over a long period of time. This, however, does not in itself demonstrate real-world experience, proficiency, or mastery of the very specific needs being demanded by organizations today. This is one of the major differences between degrees and certifications offered for different areas in IT.

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jon_Cisco said:
    Honestly when you are young and in school it is hard to see the value in it.

None of this implies you learned anything. I am talking strictly about value at this point.
    I totally agree!!! 

As far as the job market goes....
    I have my associate degree, but honestly I wish I would have gotten my bachelors degree.   There are several companies that require a bachelors degree.  You just need a Bachelors degree in anything just to work there!!  You could be a smart girl, or guy with a CCIE, but if you don't have that Bachelors degree, then you cannot work there.

When a job candidate is compared to another job candidate, everything is taken into consideration.  Often a job posting may say, preferred Bachelors degree, but in reality they really want someone with a Bachelors degree.   

diablo911
    If the classes are boring, then mixed the classes up a bit.  Try taking some classes you like, and some you don't like at the same time.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□

diablo911
    If the classes are boring, then mixed the classes up a bit.  Try taking some classes you like, and some you don't like at the same time.
    Know this: When you get on the job, you're going to have to perform tasks that you both like and dislike. A manager, especially a senior manager, will not be happy at all if you complain about having to do work that you don't like. In fact, they'll likely replace you with someone who doesn't complain.
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    carenator said:
    School is useless. The only worthy skills to learn from classes are reading, writing and any skill trade like programming. The rest is just waste of times and efforts.
    I wholeheartedly disagree. If nothing else, Philosophy 101 will teach someone that absolute statements are foolish at best.

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited July 2021
    diablo911 said:
    When your done with studying, just Bsing through whatever you can just to make it through the class. Im taking my last science class requirement in ocean science and just look for the answers cause i have no desire to learn the material, even if i did i would soon forget it.
    I've posted about this before, the point is your proving to an employer can you be taught. They are not going to care if you know one rock from another, but getting good grades to telling rocks apart is important to an employer, simple shows you can be taught. It's expensive to hire and train an employee, if you have a college degree, then the chances you are not a complete moron are considerably lower. I knew guys without a college degree that were very intelligent, motivated, could think outside the box. and I knew people that have the degree, but were not particularly intelligent and lazy. But over all people who complete a college degree, generally fall int the former category than latter. In short those with degrees are a safer bet for employers than those without, it's still a gamble, but why not stack the odds more in your favor.    

Still searching for the corner in a round room.