Options

CySA+ Journey

mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
About to start studying for CySA+. Plan on using...

CySA+ videos on Safari Books by Jason Dion
CySA+ Study Guide Book by Chapple
CySA+ Practice Exams by Jason Dion

anything other suggestions are appreciated....

Comments

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I benefited from doing some hands-on in a lab environment. I can't remember if the lab package I bought was through cybrary or not. I think it was around $100, plus or minus $25 for the one I did.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    yoba222 said:
    I benefited from doing some hands-on in a lab environment. I can't remember if the lab package I bought was through cybrary or not. I think it was around $100, plus or minus $25 for the one I did.
    Geez that's pricey. Was it worth it?
  • Options
    It was this one:
    https://www.cybrary.it/catalog/practice_labs/comptia-cybersecurity-analyst-csa
    At the time it was $80 for 6-months access to the labs, which was 22 hours of guided lab content/practice on live machines. I would definitely do that over again. But looks like Cybrary has moved to a monthly subscription model now so not sure on how pricing would work out. 22 hours translated out to more like 50 hours of lab time at my slower pace of doing things.

My goal with the CySA+ less about getting the cert and I didn't need to get hired either, since I was already working in security. I just wanted a solid learning journey with the added benefit of getting a cert, and the labs definitely contributed to achieving that goal.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I just received an email about a one-day-only (9/12) Cybrary sale:
    We have a 7-day trial offering if you join TODAY using the following discount: 
    50% off using coupon code INSIDERPRO50
    Apply your coupon code and start your money-back guarantee trial here: 
    https://www.cybrary.it/upgrade/

• Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Know how to read and analyze different type of logs (wireshark, syslog, firewall logs etc)
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    I actually emailed them to see if they offered any type of student discount. They didn't say it was a student discount but they did give me a code for it to be $39 a month. That's a whole lot different than $100 lol
  • Options
    I do the bulk of my studying at work. Unfortunately Safari Books videos would not play at work, but through work I do have access to CBT Nuggets by Keith Barker. I enjoyed the videos, the illustrations can be a bit distracting and I thought it was funny when he emphasized things he talked like Bill Cosby. Overall I thought they were informative, I felt like the security terms were just an add-on from other certs. What I wasn't familiar with was when they used tools, code commands and the analyzing the outputs.

So I bought the Cybrary Pro for $39 (the code is REJOIN39PRO), but unfortunately I can not access the videos at work. This kind of messes up my study plan, as I will have to spend more time outside of work to do the hands on labs which I think will be very beneficial after watching the CBT nugget videos. I have a lot of time to study at work. It's outside of work where it gets tricky.
  • Options
    A few years back I used to bring a cheap laptop/Chromebook thing to work so I could study on that at my desk. I've obtained enough seniority by now that it's not really an issue anymore.
  • Options
    yoba222 said:
    A few years back I used to bring a cheap laptop/Chromebook thing to work so I could study on that at my desk. I've obtained enough seniority by now that it's not really an issue anymore.
    I really wish I could do that, but not allowed any electronic devices. On a positive note I think I might have got it to work. I'm going to give it a try again next time I'm at work.