Options

How much time for A+?

lifehouseyouandmelifehouseyouandme Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
edited August 2019 in A+
New here with a question,

I've got my Net+ and Server+, I passed A+ back in H.S (2014) when it was the 801-802 so it's beyond expired (2017), decided to say screw it and get my Server and Net+ (both this year)

Looking back on it, it kinda looks tacky having the expired cert on my resume, so I figured I'll just go retake it, (by taking the 1001 and 1002) to get a updated A+ cert

Realistically how much time should I devote to studying for this? can I just theoretically watch Messers vids and take practice tests to prep for this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think you will gain much value from re-certifying. I would suggest moving on to a new topic that brings you in the direction you want to go.

As for time I don't know 2-6 months depending on how much you remember and how fast you can read technical books.
  • Options
    Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    I agree with Jon_Cisco here — I don't think you'll realistically gain much by keeping the A+ cert around. If I were a hiring manager, I would assume a Net+/Server+ holder would have the knowledge covered by the A+. That being said, I think your time would be better spent on a different cert. Depending on what you're interested in, you could go for the MCSA, Security+, Linux+, or something along those lines. I feel like any of those would pull much more weight on a resume than a valid A+.

That's just my two cents. Good luck with whichever cert you decide to go after!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • Options
    khaledit2015khaledit2015 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    agree with InfoSec-Sam it changed very fast demand for cert also has been changed rabidly