3 years fixed term jobs

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
What's your thought process if you decide to accept a job that's 3 years fixed-term? 

What happens after 3 years? Do you plan to stay for 2 years and start job hunting in the 3rd year so by the time the job ends you have something lined up?

Have you done this before?

Just curious.
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had a discussion with a recruiting firm about this recently and the way they explained it to me is that the recruiting firm will start looking for new opportunities for you at about the 7-6 month mark and transfer you to other long term contracts so you don't stay without a job. I'm used to full time so i didn't do anything. 
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    @TheFORCE thanks mate, that's what I thought too. It's all up in the air for me now anyway

UnixGuy said:
    @TheFORCE thanks mate, that's what I thought too. It's all up in the air for me now anyway
    Ive considered those type of roles too but in the I've passed on all of them. Just on a different stage of my life right now with tons of responsibilities.  Maybe in the future when I get close to retirement I can think of these type of jobs like long term vacations lol.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm coming from the short contract side(6 months- 1 year).  It's really gamble in the contracting game. 

I have done a few contracts, and I have completed all of them successfully.  In my case the staffing agencies were never 100% aware as to when my contract ended.  I worked one contract were the staffing agency asked "do you know when your contract ends, did you get an extension?" This happened because, the staffing agency didn't know if there was an extension or not.  Also, they couldn't reach the site contact.  To be honest, I have had a few recruiters tell me that the company ( client) that is using the staffing agency is less likely to provide feedback(when does the contract end, is this contractor a good employee ect), unless there is a problem with the contractor.  

I had to find jobs on my own, when my contracts ended.  The last time I had a contract, I etched the end date in my mind,and I started looking for work before the contract ended.   
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Exactly the reason why I avoid them. You just never know when, how, if and for how long is any of those contracts going to extend.  Now if I was at retirement age I'd go for it and just have fun.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    edited September 2019
    well this particular opportunity isn't through an agency, but direct. I'm bit worried about it because it's a senior management role (c-level/GM type role), so I'm thinking there aren't many roles like this open when the contract finish but who knows.

Truth is I haven't got it yet, it's just talking at this point. I'm tempted because it'll give me the experience that I want.

It's all a trade-off

I agree with what you all said, agency contracting is gambling..then again, if the market is good and you got the skills then why not.

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Potentially going three years without a raise would have me a little leery.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    If its a good career opportunity and I had no other obligations I would do it for 3 years. Time goes by fast.