cybersecurity

khaledit2015khaledit2015 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
hi guys where to start the good path to cybersecurity and is GCFE  worth it and what is it for

Comments

• MrsWilliamsMrsWilliams Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited September 2019
    hi guys where to start the good path to cybersecurity and is GCFE  worth it and what is it for
     :/ 

So, you want to know is GCFE worth it. You also want to know what is the certification for.

You haven't even taken the 5 seconds to figure out the second part of your question. Try the link below (spend some time clicking around), then come back and I'll answer the first part of your question.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=GCFE+Certification&iie=1

edited September 2019
    Check out this article:

Ok. I am back. 

Either way,

Here are a few things to read/watch: ->
    https://www.newhorizons.com/article/4-cybersecurity-career-paths-and-the-training-to-get-you-there

https://www.edx.org/course/finding-your-cybersecurity-career-path-2

https://www.cybrary.it/course-paths/

https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/cybersecurity-career-paths-overview/#gref

I glanced at each site, for about 3 seconds just to make sure it helped you with the good path question. So, I didn't read any of the information from the sites listed above. So, I can't say it's good information or bad. Nor can I say I agree with it. Just come back with where you want to start and I, or someone else will help you.

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Here's the thing, the "how to get into cybersecurity" thing gets asked EVERYWHERE, ALL the time. The challenge here is that there's no ONE path to follow. It's not like med school that is very linear and everyone does the exact same. You provide zero insight into where you are at in your career and what your specific interest within cyber is. If you expand on that, you may get quality feedback and MrsWilliams wouldn't give you a hard time (not like that is not fun for me).

The GCFE thing... maybe something got lost in translation? Are you really asking what is GCFE?
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you can't use Google, you might be in for a steep climb in the infosec world...

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would start with looking at some community colleges, see what classes they offer (or extension courses). Typically, they have per-requisites - so that you have some sort of foundation to begin with. Depending on your experience with computer basics (networking/hardware), you may want to look at the Security+ certification.
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're not yet in cybersecurity getting a forensic cert--a $7000 forensic cert at that, is not a good approach. Nobody will hire you with no experience. A good path to cyber would be to start with tech support or software development.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • khaledit2015khaledit2015 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□

Thanks A lot for your comments i read them all specially Mr.willims the first link is very good .Anyway i spent 4 hours reading about the subject . because the subject is broad . everybody knows google since years . but before i was trying to get short answer to the point . 

LonerVamp said:
    If you can't use Google, you might be in for a steep climb in the infosec world...
    @LonerVamp Don't say that take that back. :D

@NetworkNewb Come get him! >:)

edited September 2019

--->>>Thanks A lot for your comments i read them all specially Mr.Williams <----the first link is -->>very good <-- .Anyway i spent 4 hours reading about the subject . because the subject is broad . everybody knows google since years . but before i was trying to get short answer to the point . 

Thanks @khaledit2015 o:)  @NetworkNewb didn't think so  :# The poster and I accept your apology for not contributing to the thread whatsoever @NetworkNewb :/ . Don't let it happen again or I'll have to flag your irrelevant to the topic post and report you as SPAM LOL

MrsWilliams' first comment is how I initially react to these posts in my head as well. (try and bite my tongue each time)  Cyberguypr's comment is the correct way to respond though.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pffft, this is why you won't ever see me a mod here. :)

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?