Options

Job interview coming up soon need some advice asap!

Murder after MidnightMurder after Midnight Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have about 7 years experience in the IT field, as a administrator and a network engineer/voice engineer with some data center and wireless experience also.

They are gonna be conducting a oral exam, for the interview.   What questions do you think will be asked?????? any advice or tips??????

Here's the desricption below.

The position is for a Network/Enterprise Engineer.

Major Duties And Responsibilities
  • Communicates with system users to ensure accounts are set up properly or to diagnose and solve operational problems
  • Coordinates network operations, maintenance, repairs, or upgrades
  • Designs, builds, or operates complex equipment configuration prototypes, including network hardware, software, servers, or server operation systems
  • Determines specific network hardware or software requirements, such as platforms, interfaces, bandwidths, or routine schemas
  • Designs organize and deliver product awareness, skills transfer, or product education sessions for system users
  • Designs, builds, implements, oversees and supports wireless technology (i.e. 802.11 a/b/g)
  • Secures network system by establishing and enforcing policies
  • defining and monitoring access
  • Monitors network performance and ensures system availability and reliability
  • Coordinates and prepares design presentations and proposals
  • Researches and tests new or modified hardware or software products to determine performance and interoperability
  • Maintains networks by performing activities such as file addition, deletion, or backup
  • Participates in network technology upgrade or expansion projects, including installation of hardware and software and integration testing
  • Develops strategies, proposals, and budgets for network equipment replacement
  • Attends conferences and training sessions to keep up with changes in technology
  • Trains other DoIT personnel to resolve redundant network problems/issues
  • Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
  • Ability ToMinimum Qualifications
    • Apply the principles, practices, and techniques of systems programming to the installation, modification and maintenance of databases, and operating and telecommunication systems
    • Maintain multiple information technology systems that may have different databases and use different programming languages and operating systems
    • Evaluate, test, implement, and support new network systems
    • Research, develop, design, implement, and maintain complex operating systems
    • Work with sensitive information and maintain the confidentiality of such data and information
    • Use project management methods, principles, and tools (software) to schedule projects and monitor progress
    • Lead efforts in implementing configuration management and systems change management
    • Provide technical advice/guidance to management for system use, i.e., capacity and resource utilization
    • Write computer program operating instructions
    • Create models, diagrams, or visuals to illustrate enterprise architecture direction
    • Make decisions based on factual data and to evaluate the progress or success of systems
    • Provide information technology-related advice and assistance to technical and non-technical individuals at all levels of the City
    • Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent educational and/or work experience
    • Must have 10
    • years supporting global enterprise network across data center, LAN and WAN technologies.
    • Multiple successful implementations of (including the ability to setup, configure, upgrade, manage and troubleshoot) Routers and switches, Wireless Access Points, Avaya Telephony and Firewall
    • Excellent verbal and written communication skills to all levels of the organization.
    • Strong experience working in cross-functional team.
    • Proven ability to identify problems and develop recommendations to address.
    • Supplemental InformationSubjects And Weights
      • Oral Appraisal Examination: 70% maximum
      • Evaluation of Training, Experience and Personal Qualifications: 30% maximum.
      • Total: Oral Appraisal Examination and Evaluation of Training, Experience and Personal Qualifications: 100% maximum.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not sure what is on the Oral Exam.  When preparing for job interviews, I try to use S.T.A.R stories.  
    All About the STAR Method for Behavioral Interview Questions (Plus Examples)
    https://fairygodboss.com/career-topics/star-interview-questions

The interview process is difficult enough when you’re preparing for standard questions, but what about behavioral questions? These interview questions ask you to draw on past experiences to demonstrate to the recruiter or hiring manager how you might approach a similar situation in the future.

The STAR method is an ideal approach for responding to these types of questions and scenarios. So, just what are STAR interview questions, and how do you answer them? We’ll tell you everything you need to know.

The job candidate should follow the acronym to format her response:

• Situation: Describe the experience.

• Task: Explain what you needed to do.

• Action: Go through the actions you took to resolve the problem.

• Result: Tell the interviewer what ultimately happened.

How to prepare

No one knows what questions her interviewer will ask. She may use the STAR interview method, a more traditional approach (such as “Tell me about yourself”), or a combination of behavioral questions and standard questions.

That’s why you need to prepare for a range of questions. Still, you should incorporate the STAR method into your planning.

1. Make a list of your qualifications and skills.

Using the job description and your own resume, write down the skills you have that apply to the job in question.

2. Match examples and experiences to each of your skills.

Come up with at least one concrete example for each of your skills.

3. Apply the STAR method to each example.

For each qualification and example, identify the situation, tasks, actions, and results.

4. Roleplay.

Have a friend, colleague, or family member act as the hiring manager in a mock interview, asking you common behavioral questions.

5. Ask for feedback.

Ask your mock interviewer for specific feedback about your response. What worked? What was unclear or needed more clarification? What points did she glean from your response? This will help you modify and hone your response accordingly.

------------------

What are the common interview questions?

Here are 10 STAR interview questions that you’ll frequently encounter.

1. Tell me about a stressful situation at work and how you handled it.

2. Describe a time when you disagreed with your supervisor on how to accomplish something.

3. Describe a time you had a conflict with a coworker and explain how you resolved it.

4. Tell me about a time when a project you worked on did not meet expectations. What did you do?

5. Describe a time you made a mistake with a colleague or client. How did you work through it?

6. Have you ever missed a deadline? How did you handle it?

7. Tell me about a time you received criticism from a superior. What was your response?

8. Describe a time when you had to work under a tight deadline. How did you handle it? 

9. How have you prioritized when you were handling many assignments or projects at once?

10. Tell me about a time you were dissatisfied with an aspect of your job. What did you do?

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This document has helped me in the past:
    Preparing for the Job Interview 
    http://mikenation.net/files/Preparing_for_the_Job_Interview.pdf

Explain and Sell Your Relevant skills

*Prepare specific examples of your experiences, accomplishment and personal skills, which will help to explain and support what you have to say and what you posses in each of these areas.

*Remember, it’s more important and powerful to prove what you’ve done and are capable of doing through real world examples.Write down examples that clearly explain and support everything you’ve written on your resume, it’s easier for people to understand and relate to examples. Describe your employer(s) business, where your area fits into the company, what area and who you report to, what your area does, specifically what you do now and what you’ve done in the past.

*Write down what you believe are your best relevant technical and personal skills. Write down examples that you can use to support and prove these examples.

*Write down the accomplishments that you are most proud of in the positions you have held, and be ready to explain in detail how you achieved these accomplishments.

*If you don’t have the skills, or the skills you possess are weaker/lighter in the area most important to the interviewer, be prepared to discuss actual work situations where you didn’t have the required skills/experiences desired by your employer and how you successfully completed these new responsibilities by using your intelligence, determination and work ethic. This is how you communicate how you accomplished tasks assigned to you even though you didn’t have the ideal requirement
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I try to use  the flowing 

Cause:
    Action:
    Result:

Hope it helps. 
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've done a STAR interview once. Good thing they actually told me of what the format will be ahead of time. Even if it's not a STAR format, still a good idea to write down a list of accomplishments/work stories you can talk about if asked.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux