Interview Attire Trendy Tech Company (FANG)

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
Does anyone here work at any big tech companies, particularly FANG? I did a video call for initial interview and noticed it was very casual there. Now I'm scheduled for an in person interview. T-shirts with shorts/jeans are the work attire. I'm not all that comfortable showing up in shorts for a job interview but the recruiter told me not to wear a tie. What would you all suggest? Sorry if its a dumb rehashed question but I've never interviewed somewhere that wasn't that casual.

Comments

• MrsWilliamsMrsWilliams Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited September 2019
    Does anyone here work at any big tech companies, particularly FANG? I did a video call for initial interview and noticed it was very casual there. Now I'm scheduled for an in person interview. T-shirts with shorts/jeans are the work attire. I'm not all that comfortable showing up in shorts for a job interview but the recruiter told me not to wear a tie. What would you all suggest? Sorry if its a dumb rehashed question but I've never interviewed somewhere that wasn't that casual.

First and foremost good luck on the interview. Secondly, I feel that the first impression means the world. It's like a first date, you have one time to ensure what someone thinks of you is good.

Assuming you are talking about Fang Consulting, everyone on the website is dressed like they are going to Walmart. If this is the company, the assumption can be made that you don't have to dress up. Personally, I would still do a business casual type of look. That is just me though.

Lastly, I haven't done much research on Fang Consulting, nor am I sure we are talking about the same company. But, a job or two that I've worked in my life had days of the week where people dressed extremely down, like where anything to work days. Your interview day could have been on one of those days.

Either way, good luck..

• BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would reach out to them, and ask what the attire should be. Anything we say here, is pure speculation....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited September 2019

First and foremost good luck on the interview. Secondly, I feel that the first impression means the world. It's like a first date, you have one time to ensure what someone thinks of you is good.

Assuming you are talking about Fang Consulting, everyone on the website is dressed like they are going to Walmart. If this is the company, the assumption can be made that you don't have to dress up. Personally, I would still do a business casual type of look. That is just me though.

Lastly, I haven't done much research on Fang Consulting, nor am I sure we are talking about the same company. But, a job or two that I've worked in my life had days of the week where people dressed extremely down, like where anything to work days. Your interview day could have been on one of those days.

Either way, good luck..

FANG(it's really FAANG) as in Facebook Apple Amazon Netflix Google...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited September 2019
    I would ask the recruiter what the appropriate dress attire is for this company. 

I have always wore tie,  except when a recruiter invites me to their office for an interview.  Often times they will say "we don't have any jobs for you, but we will keep you in our database.  If we find any jobs that match your skills, then we will give you a call.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should wear flip flogs, cut off daisy dukes, bandanna, and tank top... :D
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited September 2019
    Well the recruiter pretty much told me people come in anything but did recommend not to wear a suit or tie. I didn't want to delve further with her 'cause it's really a dumb question. I guess this question is directed more at people who made it into FAANG. I just wanted to hear some firsthand experience with people employed at any one of those companies. I'll be interviewing on site with different managers and team members for a role as a direct employee.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nothing worse than someone who can't follow basic dress code instructions. If asked not to wear a tie - then don't. Dress business casual. Good luck.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    I've heard that bro tanks and headbands are making a surging comeback in the business casual realm. Definitely go for that!

In all seriousness, in an ultra casual environment, I would consider something like this to be appropriate for an interview. Button-down shirt or polo, no tie, nice jeans or khakis, and business casual shoes would be my choice.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I'd still dress nice. 
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If they told you not to wear a tie, dont wear a tie.
    Wear khakis or some dark jeans a shirt and blazer. that would be fine.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My recommendation

Shirt: Long-sleeve button-down, collar open
    Pants: Khakis
    Suspenders / Belt: Belt
    Shoes: Dark, clean. No sneakers or highly polished
    Jacket: No
    Tie: No
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Business casual.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Business casual .  Then see what your co workers wear to work.  When I worked for an engineering firm, everyone wore jeans and polo shirts.  I wore khaki pants and dress shirts to meetings  and polo shirts Monday-Thursday. 
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always ask how I should dress for interviews. I've interviewed in suit and tie, business casual, and jeans with casual dress shoes and button-up shirt. Just ask.