CCNA Exam

Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I need a favor from someone recently gave CCNA exam or knows about it. I am planning to give CCNA test end of this month(DEC). Somebody told me that IPX is not tested any more in CCNA exam.
Is that correct ? I have Cybex third edition book and it is included in CCNA objective but I didnot find IPX from Cisco online site CCNA objective. Any suggestion for test ? icon_confused.gif:
Thanks,
Ang

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes, I noticed as well IPX disappeared completely from the objectives... nevertheless, I need to recertify for my CCNA within 4 months and to be sure I'm going to re-read the following basic IPX topics: (and I suggest anyone preparing for the CCNA exam to do the same, even if you won't get questioned on this it may come in handy since there are still many IPX network out there)

- IPX encapsulation types (which, why, when)
    - IPX address format (80 bits. 32 bits for the network number and 48 bits for the host part. Host part is usualy the interface's MAC address )
    - Purpose of the ipx maximum-paths commmand
    - IPX access lists ranges ( 800 to 899 - standard access lists, 900 to 999 - extended access lists, and 1000 to 1099 - SAP filter access lists. )

I hope this helps!

Johan icon_study.gif
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the 607, and there was IPX

www.ciscotrack.com/ lots of stuff
    Did you take this exam recently (After November 02) ?
    Thanks for the web site.

davidb wrote:
    I took the 607, and there was IPX

www.ciscotrack.com/ lots of stuff
  • Brando146Brando146 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Rumour has it, and remember, it is only a rumour, that the CCNA required passing mark will be reduced drastically because industry apparently is crying for CCNA's but not enough people are passing it. Now, I cannot give you a link for the rumour, but I heard that it was gonna happen in the new year. That's a major statement if so.

Anyhow, I got a good tip regarding the 607 exam. When you are doing the "tutorial", apparently you are required to interactively change a "password" in the lab simulation that the exam wants you to understand before you hit the start button for the actual exam.

The tip I heard was, while you were doing the lab simulation in the "tutorial", you should write down all the commands on the erasable board or paper that the test administrator supplies for you. When you get to one of the two labs that you will be required to do, (in the cert itself)one of them is always(apparently) a password change.

I was told that by two guys who failed on their first attempt, but passed the second time around. So take that for what it's worth. I think you should know the commands anyways, but if you are into finding an "easy" way out, this may help some, but not all. icon_wink.gif
    I wouldnt put a lot of money on that rumor, about there being a lack of CCNA's
    Only about 8% pass the CCNA the first time?
    Macro1 wrote:
    Only about 8% pass the CCNA the first time?

Surely the percentage is higher than that. icon_confused.gif
    8% does seem low although i along with 3 others failed in december. 2 of those had been on the cisco accredited course. cisco have made changes to the exam and made it harder to pass probably because there's so much material available on the net. shame in a way, because its now all about how many questions you can remember as opposed to knowing the cisco product itself.
  • teamanimalteamanimal Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all. I just stumbled in while looking for some good cert communities. I have taken the CCNA twice now, no luck yet.

The first time I took it, I knew I was nowhere near ready, but I wanted to check out the test for real. I have been doing everything the self-study way with some Sybex books, the internet, two 2501's and a cat 1900. I have been working for an ISP for over two years now and am quite experienced with modern networking, mostly broadband. I just took the exam yesterday for the second time, but no go. I am going for it again in one week. What kills me is that I only missed the passing score by about three questions... And! two of them I knew the answers to, but accidently pressed the next button. I was a bit on edge. Next I am trusting in the third time being a charm, because as much as I love this stuff, I think it is time to move on to the next level. Anyway, this is moreorless just an introduction since I am new to this forum. I just have one question for now and probably more later...

On trying to set access-lists via a telnet session to my fully functioning 2501, I am somehow constantly killing it. Here is what I am placing on it, if you can imagine:

-at the global

access-list 1- deny 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255

-hit return and seconds later I lost my connection. What gives? I know this entry means to deny everyone, but I haven't applied it yet. It doesn't even give me the chance to add any permits after. Is this what happens via telnet or is my old 2501?

Thanks!
    Kuma
    Welcome to the forums teamanimal,

The access-list (-group) is not yet bound to an interface? icon_confused.gif (the one you are connected through)

I actually never configured access-lists on a router via telnet, only in the field using a console cable or preferably by creating the full config in advance and uploading it later, still I can imagine this being a problem...

Makes me wonder though, what happens when you bound the access-list to another interface than the one you are connected to, then can you access the router on another interface?

With your kind of lab and experience + study it seems to me all you need to do is relax icon_wink.gif get a good night sleep and a descent breakfast and don't try to put stuff you already know in your head a couple of hours before the exam.

Good luck on the next try!
    Thanks for that. I think that is good advice. I have always heard that as soon as you go into the test start righting everything you know about stuff like the OSI down on paper. This is great advice, but this is something that I know very well and probably don't need to think about much. Well, I am probably going to go for the test again this week or early next week.

On to other things... I am a little stuck on these access-lists..

What I want to do is try out restricting access to my router from everyone exept those on my LAN using standard and/or extended access-lists. I tried this:

access-list 1 permit 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255
    access-list 1 deny 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255
    int e0
    ip access-group 1 in

This worked in blocking all inbound access and even still allowed my internal's to communicate with the router. But.. it also blocked all outbound traffic as well. I could no longer get anything out side of my network... Any ideas??

I have three networks setup on my LAN:
    192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
    192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0
    192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0

Thanks!
    Kuma
    I think I may have figured it out.

Due to the nature of TCP/IP and the fact that IP standard access lists block everything out, my previous access lists blocked everything in/out unless otherwise permitted.

TCP is a three-way hand shaking protocol. I created a block all inbound filter and expected that I could still ping and telnet to other sites not on my list. But when you send a ping out, you receive an echo response, which can't get past my current access list because I block everything inbound. Same goes with every other protocol you might try. To fix this a CCNP coworker of mine suggest I try this:

router(config)#access-list 100 permit tcp any any established
    router(config)#int e0
    router(config-if)#ip access-group 100 in

This will block all outboung connections unless otherwise requested.
    Kuma