Options

Passed ICND1 936/832

deltzydeltzy Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited September 2019 in CCNA & CCENT
Took the ICND1 today and got a score of 936/832. I thought I did a lot worse than I did, however the simulation exercises I did really well in so that could have bumped up the score.

What I used to study:
  • CBTNuggets - watched these videos initially twice over and followed along with all the labs which gave me my foundation knowledge.
  • CCENT Offical Cert Guide - only really used these to cover topics I couldn't get my head around. Did all the questions in this book.
  • Boson Exam - these are really good and made me understand the concepts. However this probably was overkill for the type of questions I got in the exam. The simulations in the exam were ALOT easier.
For labbing I just had some Cisco 1800/3560's in my house and did the labs that Jeremy provided as part of the CBTNuggets course.

For subnet practice I used packettrackerlab.

Good luck on your exams, and thanks for all the tips provided in previous threads on this forum!

CISSP | OSCP | CREST CRT & CPSA | CCSKv4 | SEC + | CCENT | CISMP | AZ-900
In Progress: CCSP, AZ-500

Comments

• Options
    SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great job! If your moving on to CCNA don't take to long of a break.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing and thanks for the update. I am a few weeks away from trying the ccent. I usually do well on certification exams, because I never think I am ready enough and end up going longer than I need in studying. This time I am time-restricted, so I am hitting it pretty hard.

I too am using the Official Cert Guide but not as hard as I have used books in the past. I'm glad you mentioned that you use it to wrap your head around certain topics because that is exactly how I am using it. I was worried I might be missing things by not using it as the core of my study.  I'm using CBT Nuggets really heavy, along with Chris Bryant's Udemy courses. I have a lab at home consisting of 3560G switches, 1841 routers, and a 2500 series access server. I like having the hardware more than the software only, but I do have and am using Boson Exam sim as well.

Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    deltzydeltzy Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing and thanks for the update. I am a few weeks away from trying the ccent. I usually do well on certification exams, because I never think I am ready enough and end up going longer than I need in studying. This time I am time-restricted, so I am hitting it pretty hard.

I too am using the Official Cert Guide but not as hard as I have used books in the past. I'm glad you mentioned that you use it to wrap your head around certain topics because that is exactly how I am using it. I was worried I might be missing things by not using it as the core of my study.  I'm using CBT Nuggets really heavy, along with Chris Bryant's Udemy courses. I have a lab at home consisting of 3560G switches, 1841 routers, and a 2500 series access server. I like having the hardware more than the software only, but I do have and am using Boson Exam sim as well.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things! I just tried to do every single question I could get my hands on, including the additional exam practice questions you get as part of the Official Cert Guide, just have to register the book online first.

Best of luck!
    CISSP | OSCP | CREST CRT & CPSA | CCSKv4 | SEC + | CCENT | CISMP | AZ-900
    In Progress: CCSP, AZ-500

• Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats.

@Lunchbocks I think you'll find Chris Bryant does more than enough of a great job to get the pass for you. I love his courses and the guy is so in depth and makes things so easy to understand it's great. Used him back in 2011 and still use him now. He can be a bit monotone, but that guy is smart at how he presents material. I wouldn't stress it at all. Just do his labs/practical exercises with him over and over.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @advanex1 Thanks for the reply. I do feel like I am getting it fairly well. I got my CCNA many years ago when I was new to IT; it was tough. Now I have a solid understanding of the fundamentals (networking), so the Cisco portion is what I am learning.

I agree that Chris Bryant's videos are really good. Between him and Jeremy from CBT Nuggets. I am really getting it quicker than I expected. And I like that both of them teach beyond the exam, explaining topics that will help solidify the information that we need to know for the exams.

Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well done and good score