Avoiding Filters and Tailoring Resume for IT Project Management Career Path

sensitivestoicsensitivestoic Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited November 2019 in IT Jobs / Degrees
Background: Long story short I've been aiming to quit my current job for some time. You could find more details in my Tech Exams post history but due to ethical conflicts and lack of support I am looking to relocate to Colorado and build both my professional and educational track from the ground up. My main reason is that I have my heart set on a Computer Information Systems masters program at a Colorado university and if I can just live there for a year tuition is cut in half.

The Dilemma: Do I just quit my job that has good pay but no network and forward mobility and move without a job lined up? At this point I've submitted close to 12 detailed applications with hardly a Dear John reply in return. In almost all cases they state it's because I don't live in Colorado or likely I'm filtered out due to my undergraduate being in another field. I've made every attempt to stress I will relocate in a heartbeat and to highlight my elevation to helpdesk management positions  while also emphasizing my drive in getting one cert after the other in the last 4 years.

Long-term Perspective: I just want a mid-tier MSP position or decent  tech focused job that will allow me to pursue my long-term goals for a master's degree in an IT field and certifications in the PMP and MCSE Windows paths. At this point within my limitations I don't know what more I can do to avoid filters or show that I have the grit to make it and not have to return to level 1 entry minimum wage helpdesk tech positions. I don't have a strong IT network to steer me in the right direction so I don't unnecessarily flounder and spend even more money on certs that may not make a difference when I am already overburdened with my current job. A redacted version of my resume can be found here. I wonder if it may need to be more tailored for a technical format.

This community has been a great help over the last couple of years and I welcome any constructive advise or suggestions as I look to move my professional path forward. Thank you!

Certs Achieved: CompTIA A+ | Net+ | Sec+ | Project+ | MCSA Windows 10
Currently Studying:
  MCSE Server 2016
Future Goals: CAPM/PMP

Comments

• EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You state you're willing to relocation but many firms aren't willing to pay for it. Are you willing to relocate totally on your own? If so, you might consider getting a CO phone number and leaving your location off your resume. When interviewing, if cornered, have a plausible reason for moving already thought out. "Sparky, our Beagle, is turning pro and the best Beagle trainers in the world are located in <town not far from the office being interviewed with>."
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll ask a few questions to maybe put things on a new perspective for you and hopefully this will get you to see things differently and help you decide.

1. Have you done research on What is the cost of living in the area that you will move? Rent, food, etc.

2. Can you possibly find a roommate to live with? 

3. What is your emergency funds at? Can you sustain yourself for lets say 5-6 months if you have no job? 

4. If you have enough money do you think you will be able to find a job within that period?

5. 12 Applications is hardly enough of a sample. Keep applying.  I was recently in job searching situation and sent over 60 applications. 

6. What is the timeline of your 12 application submission? Was it all in one day or spread over a week? You need to be consistent on a daily, weekly basis. Applying fast or being one of the first to apply gives you more chances to interview. if a job has been open for a month,  I'd skip it. If a job has been opened for a day, apply right away.

7. Did you use more than one site to submit your application? I'd use multiple sites.

8. Because of the small sample of applications You might be applying to positions that are no longer open and have not been removed. 

9. Be patient,  it can be frustrating that you don't hear back but a lot of companies have limited HR staff also. As an example,  I had applied for a few jobs a month ago and only received a response a month later. Some HR departments are slow but don't get discouraged, keep applying. The more you apply the more your chances increase.  It sucks to make profiles at each company site but its the price of job searching you and all of us have to pay.

• sensitivestoicsensitivestoic Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited September 2019
    TheFORCE said:
    I'll ask a few questions to maybe put things on a new perspective for you and hopefully this will get you to see things differently and help you decide.

1. Have you done research on What is the cost of living in the area that you will move? Rent, food, etc.

2. Can you possibly find a roommate to live with? 

3. What is your emergency funds at? Can you sustain yourself for lets say 5-6 months if you have no job? 

4. If you have enough money do you think you will be able to find a job within that period?

5. 12 Applications is hardly enough of a sample. Keep applying.  I was recently in job searching situation and sent over 60 applications. 

6. What is the timeline of your 12 application submission? Was it all in one day or spread over a week? You need to be consistent on a daily, weekly basis. Applying fast or being one of the first to apply gives you more chances to interview. if a job has been open for a month,  I'd skip it. If a job has been opened for a day, apply right away.

7. Did you use more than one site to submit your application? I'd use multiple sites.

8. Because of the small sample of applications You might be applying to positions that are no longer open and have not been removed. 

9. Be patient,  it can be frustrating that you don't hear back but a lot of companies have limited HR staff also. As an example,  I had applied for a few jobs a month ago and only received a response a month later. Some HR departments are slow but don't get discouraged, keep applying. The more you apply the more your chances increase.  It sucks to make profiles at each company site but its the price of job searching you and all of us have to pay.

1. Yes, I've been conducting extensive research for the last 1-2 years between areas of relocation and grad schools. Cost of living isn't an issue.
    2. I've been exploring that side, but am hesitant to make the jump without a job lined up.
    3. Emergency funds aren't an issue as I've been conservative and using my current position to the full in the hope that if/when I had to pivot to continue in my growth I could without issue. I'll be good for at least a year at the challenge of cutting into funds I hoped to use for grad school.
    4. I'm confident I could find a job, but my hesitation is finding a job that helps my professional path and gives me a good network for acceptance into the grad program of my choice. Funds and getting a job is less the problem, but rather building a strong technical trajectory so I don't spin for many years with entry level 1 tech positions.
    5. I could spam apply, but because of my position I know I can be a bit more "selective."
    6. It's been spread out over a couple of months. Largely it's a monumental undertaking because my current professional position is overbearing and toxic, that it's a challenge enough to have personal time with the work load that is placed on me. Much less trying to pursue certs and new opportunities at the same time.
    7. I'm on Indeed, ZipRecruiter, Monster, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, and more trying to make the most of all the research while not landing in another position that just as toxic or dead end.
    8. That was the case for some, but it's also why I'm asking for someone who is well versed in the industry to give feedback on my resume to help me understand if I have unrealistic expectations or if there's something glaring and out of place for an industry that wasn't my original background. Really I just don't have any technical mentors I can trust for objective feedback to guide me in the right direction.
    9.I know and I'm trying so hard to be patient. I've just been spinning and burnt out for the last year at this toxic situation in my company where I'm treated like dirt. If it were up to me I would have left already if I wasn't looking to move anyways. It doesn't make sense for me to quit if I plan to move in less than a year and also lose out on notable financial benefits for projects that are coming to a close. Part of it I get: I'm being a bit selective but at the same time if I'm patient and can line up my next "big steps" I feel I can remove notable filter barriers that exist on my resume due to largely degree and location.

Thank you again for your thoughts.

Currently Studying:
      MCSE Server 2016

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited September 2019
    12 applications? That's it? I like the idea of getting a Colorado mailing address and number. If you're serious it's worth it. You used to be able to pick whatever area code you wanted in Google Voice. I wouldn't move without a job lined up though.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Took a quick look at the resume, looks good to me. Here are my two cents though time to have your PMP cert ASAP, and if possible go for CSP or PMI-ACP cert; if not already done.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
     My main reason is that I have my heart set on a Computer Information Systems masters program at a Colorado university and if I can just live there for a year tuition is cut in half.

So, why have you set this as your one goal? You can probably get similar experiences closer to home, yeah? I mean, this is the one thing dictating all the rest of your efforts and even challenges.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is the resume outline I use:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B62C7HpuIwINek1aWV9KR1U1cHc/view

I took at the  look at the resume, and I listed my suggestions below.

You should add a professional summary.

For the work section it says WORK AND INTERNSHIPS:  Why can't it be Professional Experience? 

All your jobs should have a brief paragraph describing the job, and then there should be a few bullet points that highlight your accomplishments.

Check your tenses for each job description.  For example, your current job says Supervised, but it looks like you still work there, so it should says supervises. 
    Oversaw, should be Oversees the resolution of technical incidents for 1000+............  Negotiated should be Negotiates 

Your job dates are not lined up  Can you line up the jobs, so all are in a straight row right down the page?

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • sensitivestoicsensitivestoic Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @yoba222 12 applications within the last 3 weeks. More based on the last 1-2 years.
    @promethuschow Completely agree. That is my long term goal. I'm looking to complete CompTIA Project+ next weekend, PMI-ACP and Server+ concurrently within the next year. The goal was to be working on those while attending grad university within the next 2 years. Either during or after university I was aiming for a Windows Server MCSE and PMP certification. I've accomplished the CompTIA Trifecta and Windows 10 MCSA all within the last 4 years on my own dime.
    @LonerVamp I get where in isolation the one goal seems pretty limiting. But it is difficult to convey additional context here on the forums without substantial back story. I am actually trying to get away from home. I'm "young" and not tied down to family and because of the burden of my current job I have no roots here in Illinois. Figure if I have the opportunity to redefine and rebuild my personal/professional life I may as well do it in the State of my choice. Colorado has emerged as the preferred option that aligns with my values. That doesn't mean I'll ignore other States, universities, or opportunities that resonate as a healthy place to establish roots.
    @NetworkingStudent Thank you for the suggestions. I'll consider them and adjust based on your provided outline.
    Currently Studying:
      MCSE Server 2016