System Restore vs. Previous Version

anyways2014anyways2014 Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've tried google this but could not find a clear answer. What is the significance between System Restore and Previous Version? I'm aware that not all system enable Previous Version but how are these two linked ?

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    System Restore = whole system state back to a restore point, Previous Version(Volume Shadow Copy) = single files, typically enabled on a file share.  They are complementary recovery systems. 
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • anyways2014anyways2014 Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank You!!
    just to clarify, System Restore is enabled in WinXP only, and Previous Versions are enabled in all other version except WinXP.. is that correct?
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thank You!!
    just to clarify, System Restore is enabled in WinXP only, and Previous Versions are enabled in all other version except WinXP.. is that correct?
    No. 
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thank You!!
    System Restore in on Windows 7-10

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • anyways2014anyways2014 Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I google that System Restore contains Previous Versions though not all OS have Previous Versions, such as Windows? I'm just trying to understand this stuff and the more I research, the more confused I become.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I google that System Restore contains Previous Versions though not all OS have Previous Versions, such as Windows? I'm just trying to understand this stuff and the more I research, the more confused I become.
    Go through the A+  Courses from Professor Messer that I listed below.  These videos are free, and they provide a brief overview of computer basics.  The videos should help you understand how system restore works.  Good Luck! 

Professor Messer’s CompTIA 220-1001 and
    220-1002 A+ Training Course
    https://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/220-1001/220-1000-training-course/
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor