Options

Is working as IT/System Admin worth it? getting calls in the middle of the nights

eppixx7eppixx7 Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
I dislike
-getting calls in the middle of the night
-rude customers
-work weekend without overtime pay

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nop, I would stick to being a goat herder
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    eppixx7 said:
    I dislike
    -rude customers
    You might encounter all of those things, just depends on the environment.   You will run into more rude customers or end users in a smaller environment.  This is because the smaller (2-500 end users) environments have the admins do a little bit of everything, so they have more interactions with the end users. However, this doesn’t mean everyone in that environment is rude

Most admins are salary, so I don’t think you will get overtime pay. With that said, I don’t think you will work every weekend

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    What do you like?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    eppixx7 said:
    I dislike
    -IT
    There; I fixed it for you.

-scott
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    eppixx7 said:
    I dislike
    -rude customers
    I guess you could grossly generalize. I find if you already have these reservations, then IT/Sysadmin is likely not for you.

But it's not because you'll for sure encounter those issues. It's because this seems to be the most important thing to you, moreso than the IT work.

If you encounter these things in your job, then get another job within the industry IT/Sysadmin industry.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Some people are more suited for the policy/governance type stuff. Just throwing that out there.