Recuiter Wants Skill Sections On My Resume. What is The Best way to do This?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey Guys,

My resume has helped me land several interviews.  Now I have run into a recruiter that doesn't know my skill set.  I felt like he didn't even look at my resume.  The recruiter said they wanted me to add a skills section to my resume, before we can discuss open positions.

Have you guys used a skills sections in the past?  Do hiring mangers prefer skill sets on a resume?   What's the best way to add a skill set to your resume?

I found some examples that a previous recruiter sent me from another firm. Are any of these any good?

SAMPLE 1

TECHNICAL SKILLS     

Operating Systems: Windows XP/7/8, Windows Server 2003/2012, Ubuntu, Debian

Software Management Tools: Windows SCCM, Microsoft Management Console, Active Directory, Remote Desktop Software

Software: MS Office Suite, Symantec Endpoint protection, Novell, GotoAssist, Printer-Logic Administration, Computer Imaging Software, Service-Now, SolarWinds

SAMPLE 2

I.T. Skills

·         Proficiency in the following applications Frontier, Actimize, Accuity, Concur, Informatica, One Sumx, Director, Lawson, APG (Alogent Payment Gateway), Pay Plus, RDI(DSS), Rimage, Ricoh Print Services, ServiceNow, XMatters, Planview, IIS Manager

·         Unisys hardware and software. BLSCHED / BLLIB / WFL / IPS (Expert Knowledge)

·         10 + years IT Project Management and SDLC experience

·         Intermediate Knowledge MS Office. (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Visio)

·         Intermediate Knowledge ITIL (IT Infrastructure Library)

·         Intermediate Knowledge Agile

·         SQL (Basic Scripting)

·         Basic Knowledge Oracle / Toad

·         Basic Knowledge IBM / JCL

·         Intermediate Knowledge PC (Windows) and Server knowledge. (XP to server 2012)

·         Basic networking knowledge

·         Basic VM Ware and RDP

·         Basic IBM WebSphere MQ

SAMPLE 3

Technical Skills and Tools

·         VMWare, VPN, Citrix, Active Directory, Window Systems, ServiceNow, Microsoft Office Suite, Horizon View Client, Remote Desktop, Citrix Desktop Director, Citrix Desktop Studio, Citrix App. Center, Citrix Director, Citrix Provisioning Services, SharePoint, Outlook, Software Center

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm confused. Are you not including what you currently work on and have worked on in your resume already? Listing the technologies you know and things you have done on them? If so, I'd say the recruiter needs to read. I don't list my skills like that on a resume but others may do it differently.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think that the use of the skill set drives two purposes: firstly to list how many actual technologies you understand and have worked with.  The second reason why listing skills directly on your resume is for the OCR scanners to pick up on the keywords that pertain to the job description. Personally for my own resume, I leave them out as I see them as a page filler. 
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    advanex1 said:
    I'm confused. Are you not including what you currently work on and have worked on in your resume already? Listing the technologies you know and things you have done on them? If so, I'd say the recruiter needs to read. I don't list my skills like that on a resume but others may do it differently.
    I don’t have a skills section listed on my resume.  I do have the skills and technologies used listed in each job that I have held.

Also, it’s odd because I get several  interviews without the skills section

yeah, I did get the feeling the recruiter didn’t read my resume 
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DZA_ said:
    I think that the use of the skill set drives two purposes: firstly to list how many actual technologies you understand and have worked with.  The second reason why listing skills directly on your resume is for the OCR scanners to pick up on the keywords that pertain to the job description. Personally for my own resume, I leave them out as I see them as a page filler. 
    Yeah, having a skills section does feel like page filler

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor