IPS Rack time

AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
Can anyone recommend an online rack rental that has a 5.x IPS appliance running?

Cheers.
We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Most of the CCIE Lab rack rentals still seem to be using the IDS running 5.x

... but NLI ( www.ccbootcamp.com ) says they have
    Cisco 4235 IPS 5.x Sensor (for Security)

:mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Excellent, many thanks sir.

Edit: Probably a stupid question but how do these things usually work, I'm guessing you VPN into their lab network and go from there?

Edit Part Ducks: Had time to actually do some rooting this morning and saw it was telnet. I've emailed them to see if they have provisions for GUI access.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Simplest case you may just telnet to an access server.....

VPN access to a rack network gives you access to remote power, remote PCs and servers, in addition to an access server (or a management network for individual device access).

There could also be a web application server interface -- configured for access to various devices, servers, etc.

I think Darby said he was setting up his racks to give you remote access to a rack PC.... and then you work from there.

There could be combinations.... telnet to an access server, but a web page may give you access to remote power... etc.
    Yup they replied and said they can setup VNC or RDP access for the GUI. Sooooo looks like I'll be giving this a go in a week or 2....or 3....laziness has set in ;).

Thanks again Mike.
    Just an update. I rented one 6 hour block to do some practice. It was very useful but be prepared to do some work in setting the network up before you start - no fault of the provider since the previous user is supposed to blank the configs but the unit I was on did not have a default config or match the supplied IP details (Of course this is a CCIE level rack so it's functionality first, hand-holding 2nd)...While frustrating at the start this was actually good in the end since I got to do some troubleshooting that was at least as valuable as my planned study. Really all I did was work on navigating the different service modes in the CLI, making some basic changes and then having a good look around the GUI. For the last 2 hours I sat down with the study guide and walked through each of the configuration examples. Not as handy as being able to pick up and use a unit at will but overall I'm glad this service was available, I'd recommend it to anyone else who doesn't have access to an appliance.
    Exam's tomorrow and I don't have a good feeling about it...if only they'd left the release of Supreme Commander until the weekend icon_redface.gif Time will tell ;).
    Ahriakin wrote:
    Exam's tomorrow
    Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    Thank you sir. Ah well if I don't pass it's a practice run. I pushed pretty hard before Xmas knocking out 3 exams in 2 months and just kinda burned out so I'm not as stressed about this one....still I'll be pissed if I fail ;). 5 hours to go...