Options

Python CompTIA cert coming?

shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
I read something about this in a tech article a few months back...anyone here know anything about CompTIA Python cert upcoming?  or is it just a rumor.

CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    I've seen a little bit of interest in a Python cert, but I haven't heard of anything that's actually in their pipeline. If they do have that cert in the works, they're certainly not telling me :(
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I haven't heard anything about this either. I would say that this is most likely not a real thing because only covering one specific language would be very uncharacteristic of one of the only vendor neutral cert authorities on the market 
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I, too, recall seeing a blurb about that.  I will be going to a conference with one of the CompTIA officials next month, so if I remember I will go ahead and ask him.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Programming certs would be an entirely new market niche for CompTIA. One wonders why they didn't go in that direction years ago.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This seems like a bad idea to me. A programming language validated through a multiple choice exam . . .   :#
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I sent an email a few moments ago and my contact said that he is unaware of any programming certifications.  So, for now, not something they will do.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From a press release dated May 07, 2019:

"CompTIA is also evaluating an expansion of its industry leading line of cybersecurity certifications by adding a new security credential linked to the Python programing [sic] language. Python is among today’s fastest growing and most popular programming languages used for software and web development, data analysis, machine learning and many other areas."

Judging from that press release and the info that stryder144 shared, it sounds like they would offer a Python-related cert from a security perspective rather than from a strictly programming angle, if at all.
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • Options
    SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I believe this may be the article in question regarding the python based certification.

https://www.comptia.org/about-us/newsroom/press-releases/2019/05/07/comptia-explores-new-certifications
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Maybe it's not a cert centered around Python but instead only features Python-based exam items. Pentest+ contains items featuring several different programming languages including Python. CompTIA may have gotten some ideas from putting together Pentest+ that they are expanding into other exams.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's right there was a bunch of scripting on the Pentest+. They pulled it off well too, come to think about it.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Last I saw anything about a new cert for CompTIA was they were looking for SMEs for a Business Analyst type exam.  It appears to be in the early stages though.