Pursue CISSP or go for Azure/GCP certs?

rs23rs23 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone. Over the past 6 months i have been able to get Security+, AWS Solution Architect and AWS Security specialty certification. I am 10 years in to federal consulting and kinda pivoting into the Cloud Security space. I have a masters in Cyber security too from 2008. My every day tasks revolves around IAM, Content management, Federal cloud space, Sales IT and solution architecture using Microsoft tools like Office 365.I have a year's experience in NOC/SOC environment too.  My question is this : Option 1 or Option 2 . Which will make me more marketable with 10 years Federal consulting experience with my current certs. 

Option 1 : Go for CISSP 
Option 2 : Go for Azure and GCP Certifications (Security) so i can demonstrate i have multiple cloud vendor knowledge. 

Thanks for taking the time out to respond! 
Tagged:

Comments

• DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi OP, 

What I would recommend is to go study for the CISSP first and then start to look at the CCSP or CCSK as an extension to your security certifications. The CCSP is a high overview of cloud security which tends to fall towards managerial thinking vs the CCSK is more hands-on and technical in nature. I wouldn't necessary would certify for Azure or GCP certifications (as they're vendor specific) unless you work with that technology immensely and you want to demonstrate that you have the working knowledge baseline based on the vendor's criteria. Leveraging the CISSP tends to get you through the resume review easier since everyone posts job descriptions require CISSP; it gets you far enough to have the first interview. 
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Both, but CISSP now since you can draw on your extensive experience to assist in passing. Then you're clean slate to begin AWS.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    DZA_ said:
    Hi OP, 
    The CCSP is a high overview of cloud security which tends to fall towards managerial thinking vs the CCSK is more hands-on and technical in nature. 
    The CCSK is an open book exam that you could probably study for in a week imo.  Zero hands on and not that technical.  Just my opinion from passing the exam a year or so ago.   I think of it more as just a smaller CCSP
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    DZA_ said:
    Hi OP, 
    The CCSP is a high overview of cloud security which tends to fall towards managerial thinking vs the CCSK is more hands-on and technical in nature. 
    The CCSK is an open book exam that you could probably study for in a week imo.  Zero hands on and not that technical.  Just my opinion from passing the exam a year or so ago.   I think of it more as just a smaller CCSP
    Interesting, thanks for the correction @NetworkNewb
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited October 2019
    DZA_ said:
    Hi OP, 
    That is interesting, and I trust you NetworkNewb.  According to the "unbiased" person on the Cloud Security Alliance site, CCSK is this "terrifying" thing (and be sure to sign up for training from his company, otherwise you won't pass . . .).

https://blog.cloudsecurityalliance.org/2018/04/24/ccsk-vs-ccsp-unbiased-comparison/

A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited October 2019
    Agree with NetworkNewb, CCSK is fairly high level (been a couple of years since I took it).  It's open book but the time allotted didn't allow a lot of time to search for the answers, but a couple of weeks should be enough time for studying.  CCSP is based on the same material as the CCSK (ISC2 + CSA collaborated) just more obtuse wording for the questions on the exam.  If money isn't a factor, you could leverage studying for the CCSK to then take the CCSP afterwards.

If you like focusing on security and plan to stay in those roles, probably best to go ahead with CISSP before moving on to other certifications.
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When you purchase the exam attempt they give 2 chances as well.  Which you take at home and can use any resources.
  • craig009craig009 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @yoba222 how much do they charge if booking with them .
    Seems am interested. 
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think there is one more thing to note AFTER the exam. The CCSP requires CPE's and Annual Maintenance Fees while the CCSK is one of those certs that is 'forever' but versioned and up to the person to update their knowledge periodically.
    ISC2 partnered with the CSA to create the CCSK.