My plan

medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
After putting off CISSP for years, I have decided to make it happen.  My Security+ (which I got in 2005) expires in May 2020 so I decided to renew it this time by getting CISSP.

My plan is this...
Currently watching the free Cybrary.it CISSP video series.  Just watching to get a lay of the land.  Not taking notes or anything yet.  Just seeing what I am getting myself into.

Next I will get the Sybex 8th Edition book (on Kindle, I'm not carrying that book around).  I plan on taking a practice test to see where I'm at and then read it in detail, taking notes, making flash cards, etc...  I will also keep working with the included practice questions.

Once I have finished reading the book, I will purchase the Boson practice test questions and work with them, reviewing areas of the book that need reviewing and tweaking my notes and flash cards as needed.  Will probably watch the Cybrary.it videos again.

Then I will take the test and win the cash and prizes.  Hope to be ready to test by Feb 2020.

I know, easier said than done.

Comments

• advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good plan. I think you can get it done way ahead of the next 4 months, but whatever you feel comfortable with. Try not to get too into the weeds on this test. Any questions - feel free to ask.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    It definitely sounds like you've done your homework on how to approach this exam. If you're looking for some more study resources, I'd encourage you to check out Infosec Skills! Our CISSP course pulls a lot of material from our boot camps, plus a pretty substantial practice exam. We're currently running a 30-day free trial for you to give it a try.

Good luck with your study plan and with the exam - we're rooting for you!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • november24november24 Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck with your journey, I am curious to know once you pass the exam what is your next move in your career?

• medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck with your journey, I am curious to know once you pass the exam what is your next move in your career?

Me too!  LOL

Hopefully to move up with my current employer.  I like it there.  :)
    Finished the Cybrary.it videos and took the first Sybex 8th Edition 150 question practice test to establish a baseline.  I got 122/150 correct (81.33%).  There were 2 or 3 "Oh yeah, duh!" moments when reviewing what I got wrong.  Not very many I would put in the "I never heard of this before" category.  I was hoping the practice test engine would give a breakdown by domain and was disappointed that it does not.  Oh well.  Can anyone tell me if the Boson practice test breaks the results down by domain?

Now to start reading...
    Finally finished reading Sybex 8th.  Exactly 2 months from when I started (Oct 13)!

Now to start the studying phase...
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck, what did you think of the Cybrary videos?
    I found the Cybrary videos very informative.  I like Kelly's teaching style.  She often suggests "don't worry too much about this on the exam" and "expect to see questions on this".  I am hoping that is accurate.  Since the video series is so highly recommended, I am assuming it is.
    I just retook the same Sybex 150 question test I took before reading the book and score went from 81% to 85%.  I was hoping for more improvement.  Still having the "oh yeah, that makes sense" moments after reading the explanations.  I think that means I need to think things through better before answering impulsively.  Still have a ton of reviewing to do.

I have tons of flash cards queued up on Qizzlet as well as my own notes.  Really need to work on memorizing lists, such as steps of eDiscovery, Incident Response steps, COBIT domains, TCSEC vs Common Criteria, etc...
  • ConflagrateCarlConflagrateCarl Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    medic said:
    Finished the Cybrary.it videos and took the first Sybex 8th Edition 150 question practice test to establish a baseline.  I got 122/150 correct (81.33%).  There were 2 or 3 "Oh yeah, duh!" moments when reviewing what I got wrong.  Not very many I would put in the "I never heard of this before" category.  I was hoping the practice test engine would give a breakdown by domain and was disappointed that it does not.  Oh well.  Can anyone tell me if the Boson practice test breaks the results down by domain?

Now to start reading...
    I have started my journey for this cert as well and have the Boson test engine. It does break down your responses and scores by domain. It's been very helpful. :smile:
    M.S.(Cyber/IA), CISSP, GCIA, CEH, CASP+, Sec+, Net+, A+, Project+, Linux+