CySA+ Beta Exam

Comments

• shahlapirniashahlapirnia Registered Users Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wogmail said:
    I'm getting the same error 
    This application has encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please start over.
    Tried different browser.  Not sure what it's about.  
    Just tried again today - getting the same message: "This application has encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please start over."
    @Johnhe0414

Have you tried to use different web browsers like Chrome and Firefox?
    WIP: Security+ 601
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited October 2019
    wogmail said:
    This application has encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please start over.
    Just tried again today - getting the same message: "This application has encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please start over."
    @Johnhe0414

I have tried IE and Firefox ... guess i will try Chrome next :)
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I will be taking vacation to do the cut score workshop for these. Downers grove in winter..  Brr... 
  • camerono808camerono808 Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kbizk It does not give you any information at the end exam.  It prints out a piece of paper that states you completed the exam, and that you'll need to wait till the beta ends to get your results.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I am waiting for some kind of code to be sent back to me so I can register for test. It has been 4 days and still waiting!

Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • TuncartoonTuncartoon Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi, everyone.

I can't quite grasp the concept of this "beta exam", even if I tried to google and look for answer. So please help me confirm my understanding:

1. If you managed to pass this beta exam, will it be certified and recognised at the same level and extent as other non-beta exam of CompTIA certification? Is this some kind of inferior grade than the normal CySA+ of something like that?
    2. If not, then effectively this is your chance to get certified as CySA+ and will cost you only USD 50?
    3. If I decide to pursue this beta exam, what is the study material that I should reference to? Can the current version of CySA+ ebook and CertMaster be used for this beta exam preparation?

Thank you everyone :)

• trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi, everyone.

I can't quite grasp the concept of this "beta exam", even if I tried to google and look for answer. So please help me confirm my understanding:

1. If you managed to pass this beta exam, will it be certified and recognised at the same level and extent as other non-beta exam of CompTIA certification? Is this some kind of inferior grade than the normal CySA+ of something like that?
    2. If not, then effectively this is your chance to get certified as CySA+ and will cost you only USD 50?
    3. If I decide to pursue this beta exam, what is the study material that I should reference to? Can the current version of CySA+ ebook and CertMaster be used for this beta exam preparation?

Thank you everyone :)

1. Yes, you will be certified same way as you pass normal exam
    2. Yes, it's just a chance to be certified for 50$
    3. There is no official preparation materials. The main point of beta exam is - experts should sit them evaluate questions
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

I'm clear on 1 and 2. That being said, for 3 even if the "official" material is not available, can the current version of CySA+ preparation material be used as a reference, just to give you some kind of general idea of what going to be in the exam?

Thank you :)

• shahlapirniashahlapirnia Registered Users Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm clear on 1 and 2. That being said, for 3 even if the "official" material is not available, can the current version of CySA+ preparation material be used as a reference, just to give you some kind of general idea of what going to be in the exam?

@Tuncartoon

You can use the training for the current version of the exam in addition to the exam objectives of the beta exam and the current exam in order to prepare.

The free PDF exam objectives of the beta exam and the current exam can be downloaded from:

https://www.comptia.org/training/resources/exam-objectives

You can compare the two PDF documents to see which items on the beta exam are new and which have been carried over from the current version of the exam.
    WIP: Security+ 601

I decide to give it a try. Not sure about the outcome, but I'll do what I can :)

I wrote a few of these questions back in June during the exam development workshop at downers grove.   If you are very well versed in the existing exam objectives, you will be fine.
  • wogmailwogmail Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    By the way, folks who can't register on the website, call in and they will register you.  It's kind of a pain, but it works.  
    wogmail said:
    By the way, folks who can't register on the website, call in and they will register you.  It's kind of a pain, but it works.  
    I also tried to register on my iPad ...and still got the same error message. Thanks for this info!
    wogmail said:
    @Johnhe0414

Yes.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Have the people who haven't been able to register because of an error opened a trouble ticket with the Pearson Vue webmaster yet? It's now starting to sound like there is a configuration problem with your Pearson Vue account, which may be correctable by you on the front-end or only on the back-end by the application team.
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did anyone figure out how far out you can schedule this beta exam? I figured I might go in and try it just for shits and giggles when I get back in town in a month.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was able to successfully register.  Tentatively booked for Nov 1st but Im wonder what the latest date I can book it?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guess I'll find out once I'm able to sign in and try to book it in December.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • kbizkkbizk Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was able to register for the beta exam as well. First few times I got an error (probably the same mentioned above), but then it went through.  
  • kbizkkbizk Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The last day to take the beta exam is January 9th, 2020.
    Finally! I was able to log in and register. I figure, why not? 
  • jwdk19jwdk19 Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
     just finished the CySA+ beta exam less than an hour ago. I passed the CySA+ about 1.5 years ago. I think this beta was more difficult than the original CySA exam. I like the way that CompTIA seems to be moving to more simulation based exams. 

Without breaking NDA; Id recommend knowing basic nmap usage, how to interpret/breakdown CVSS scores,  basic linux commands, dlp, data privacy concepts, how to analyze a pcap and be able to tell what is actually occuring, hashing algorithms, weak/strong ciphers. 

Basically the exam objectives 😂

I enjoyed this exam
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jwdk19 said:
     just finished the CySA+ beta exam less than an hour ago. I passed the CySA+ about 1.5 years ago. I think this beta was more difficult than the original CySA exam. I like the way that CompTIA seems to be moving to more simulation based exams. 

Without breaking NDA; Id recommend knowing basic nmap usage, how to interpret/breakdown CVSS scores,  basic linux commands, dlp, data privacy concepts, how to analyze a pcap and be able to tell what is actually occuring, hashing algorithms, weak/strong ciphers. 

Basically the exam objectives 😂

I enjoyed this exam

Good point about aligning your studies to the exam objectives.  You can review them here: https://www.comptia.org/certifications/cybersecurity-analyst
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    Comparing the CS0-001 domains and objectives to the CS0-002 domains and objectives shows the following differences:
    • Threat Management and Vulnerability Management are now combined into a single domain.
    • Cyber Incident Response was renamed to Incident Response.
    • Domains added: Software and Systems Security & Security Operations and Monitoring.
    • Domain removed: Security Architecture and Tool Sets.
    These changes definitely show a movement away from security architecture/engineering and more into security operations for CySA+ v2. The v1 domains Threat Management and Vulnerability Management were a combined 53% of the v1 exam. v2 combines them into a single domain that is only 22% of the exam. The long listing of tools in v1 is not present in v2 and there is more emphasis on techniques instead (especially in digital forensics). Dropping "cyber" from the Incident Response domain may indicate a realization that SOC work is also about the physical and human side of security too. To me, it looks like CySA+ v2 is closer to what CASP+ now covers. I wonder if CASP+ will be getting a significant overhaul soon too.

• jwdk19jwdk19 Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited November 2019
    Great points. The beta was definitely more vuln/threat management focused than I remember CS0-001 being. 👍

Will be interesting to see what happens with CASP+. I've been considering going for it. Might hold off for awhile.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I signed up the 1st day it was open. I got lucky I guess. 
    I was finally able to schedule for my exam - so happy :)
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @JDMurray
    Where do you think we could find resources for the added domain?
    JDMurray said:
    Comparing the CS0-001 domains and objectives to the CS0-002 domains and objectives shows the following differences:
    • Threat Management and Vulnerability Management are now combined into a single domain.
    • Cyber Incident Response was renamed to Incident Response.
    • Domains added: Software and Systems Security & Security Operations and Monitoring.
    • Domain removed: Security Architecture and Tool Sets.
    These changes definitely show a movement away from security architecture/engineering and more into security operations for CySA+ v2. The v1 domains Threat Management and Vulnerability Management were a combined 53% of the v1 exam. v2 combines them into a single domain that is only 22% of the exam. The long listing of tools in v1 is not present in v2 and there is more emphasis on techniques instead (especially in digital forensics). Dropping "cyber" from the Incident Response domain may indicate a realization that SOC work is also about the physical and human side of security too. To me, it looks like CySA+ v2 is closer to what CASP+ now covers. I wonder if CASP+ will be getting a significant overhaul soon too.

When I was at CompTIA in June, they were getting ready for a CASP workshop at the end of the month.  So I think it should be out soon?
    bigdogz said:
    @JDMurray
    Where do you think we could find resources for the added domain?
    On the Internet. Start with Wikipedia and go from there.  ;)

As for a possible CASP+ beta, I'm all in for that too!  :D