CISA Exam - 2019 - Career Change

deitz11deitz11 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi to everyone, I'm fairly new to this forum just found this forum, because I was searching something on CISA.
Just checking in if anyone had experience working in Engineer line and would or have managed to secured a job in audit after taking CISA, and if you don't mind to share, was that a very hard or impossible task to do?
I have been working in System and Network Engineering for quite sometimes - about 10 years, and I found an urge of interest in audit and security, after my last job in Financial sector, being part of a team that has to do internal audit process and mitigation as well as security hardening and rectification of vulnerability.

Had a little discussion with my internal security team back there but was discourage because as they shared, ISACA may need an experience working in audit or security line before they will grant the certification.
While in my country, at least where I work, they need to see the certification at least, to land me a job interview

So, at the moment, I'm just studying CISA as part of my interest was using Sari Greene material from Safari - Anyone had use this before? I found that the earlier part was quite brief but pack of information. Hope one day I could pass this CISA exam and maybe land me in an audit job.

Cheers

Ray

Comments

• Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    Hi Ray, and welcome to the community! The CISA is a great place to start when pivoting over into auditing, especially given your prior experience.

I can't personally speak to the quality of the Sari Greene material, but it looks like it's well regarded by other TechExams members in this thread. If you're looking for some other study materials to complement it, @sumeetgandhi gave some great insight in his exam postmortem back in January. Hope this helps, and good luck with your studies! And if you ever have any questions about the subject or the exam specifically, feel free to throw up another post!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • deitz11deitz11 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Sam for the warm welcome and information, have look into the exam postmortem by @sumeetgandhi very detailed indeed.

Thanks again hopefully, I would be able to pass this exam soon :smile:

Cheers
    Hi All

Thank you everyone for the response, I have decided to continue my journey and attempt to take CISA.
    Wish me luck :-)
  • sumeetgandhisumeetgandhi Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    deitz11 said:
    Hi All

Thank you everyone for the response, I have decided to continue my journey and attempt to take CISA.
    Wish me luck :-)
    Hello, 

I am based in Singapore too, if you want we can meetup sometime. Even I am trying to change tracks from current technologies to Audit / Compliance / Risk lines. I may learn few tricks from you I guess.

-Sumeet
    ---
    With Regards
    Sumeet Gandhi
    CISA, CISM, PMP, PMI-ACP, AWS Certified Solutions Architect, Office 365, SharePoint Online, SharePoint (2016 / 2013 / 2010 / 2007), MCTS, CSM, ITIL, PRINCE2
    Hi Sumeet

I had no luck yet on changing lines :-) , but decided to take CISA as part of my hobby and interest at the moment.
    Sure thing, let's meetup sometimes. Do you have linkedin ?

deitz11 said:
    Hi Sumeet

I had no luck yet on changing lines :-) , but decided to take CISA as part of my hobby and interest at the moment.
    Sure thing, let's meetup sometimes. Do you have linkedin ?

Have pm'd you.
    ---
    With Regards
    Sumeet Gandhi
    CISA, CISM, PMP, PMI-ACP, AWS Certified Solutions Architect, Office 365, SharePoint Online, SharePoint (2016 / 2013 / 2010 / 2007), MCTS, CSM, ITIL, PRINCE2
    Hi All, I've decided to go for End Oct Exam - wish me luck! :cold_sweat:
    I'm currently using Hemang Doshi material, his material is fantastic and easy to understand, to the point of the lesson. However, when it comes to practice Q&A, I'm lil bit lost here, was hoping someone can share a good Practice Q&A material.

Appreciate your help in advance
    deitz11 said:
    Hi All, I've decided to go for End Oct Exam - wish me luck! :cold_sweat:
    I'm currently using Hemang Doshi material, his material is fantastic and easy to understand, to the point of the lesson. However, when it comes to practice Q&A, I'm lil bit lost here, was hoping someone can share a good Practice Q&A material.

Appreciate your help in advance
    Even if the qna is bit dry or looks crappy or scary, go through it atleast once, properly. See what options are, and why the correct one is correct from from isaca point of view. If you manage to do 100 q in a day you should be done in about 10 days. I dont think there are any other materials out there. 
    ---
    With Regards
    Sumeet Gandhi
    Thanks Sumeet ; btw when you say dry QnA are you referring to the official ISACA QnA?
    Have you tried any others (3rd Party) 
    Hi everyone, just want to say thank you to every one of you, who have shared the information about CISA exam.
    I decided to go for the Exam today, and I had the preliminary PASSED today, Glad that I could achieve that.
    It will take another 10 days for me to know the result but at least I saw the Passed word on the screen today.

Just to break down lil bit, hopefully this will help everyone who is trying to pursue this certification.
    My preparation mainly from the material below
    • Hemang Doshi material, mostly from CISAExamstudy that he has in his blog
    • Q&A official ISACA - I do not have too much money to splurge on this one so I had this from my friend from the 2011 material
    • Bought a Q&A as well from Udemy, by Md Jahangir Alam - I would say, the question most of the time you can find this not exactly the same from official Q&A, it does help with the scoring system to gain my confidence
    • Last one is the CRM 2019 that I barely had a chance to read. Just probably couple of lines.
    In term of professional experience, my main exposure has been always on IT Operation (Infrastructure) but for at least past 4 years, I had been involve in Audit specially in financial sector. I would say that experience always the best resource when it comes to CISA exam.

Shout out to everyone here, thanks again, next stop CySA+; hopefully I could ace this one too.

Cheers guys, God bless
    Raymond 

• Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Awesome @deitz11 - Congratulations!
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!   Not that bad of an exam right?
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
    Thanks John
    Thanks Lucky0977 - yeah, I won't say it's easy but certainly, you can at least, eliminate those answer that out of your common practice or senses.