Info Security Route

bowmattybowmatty Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys, 

Im interested in progressing into a career within Info Security.

I have desk-side and minimal networking experience (A+ and Net+ certs). 

First step is to do the Security+ to get the basics, then which certs do you think from there? 

Thanks all  

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited October 2019
    Specifically what type of info sec role are you interested in(it is a broad specialty)?  Have you reviewed job posting in your area to see what certs they are requesting/requiring for the roles you want?  Have you come up with a plan to close your skills gap in the postings you are seeing?  
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • bowmattybowmatty Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @iBrokeIT
    Information Security Analyst i have seen advertised but these required CISSP, seeing if the Security+ is the starting point? I have no experience in programming 

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited October 2019
    Yes, Security+ is a great starting point.  Find a project as a practical outlet to start learning coding.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If possible go for SANS 401 - gives excellent introduction and breadth of knowledge. You may find you know what you like to specialize in (if at all) after this (may not be the case but that's ok too). 
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
  • bowmattybowmatty Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • jwdk19jwdk19 Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited December 2019
    scasc said:
    If possible go for SANS 401 - gives excellent introduction and breadth of knowledge. You may find you know what you like to specialize in (if at all) after this (may not be the case but that's ok too). 
    Agree 100%. I am finishing up this course currently. Not new to IT or security but it definetly fills in some knowledge gaps. Awesome course. 

PS: My employer offered me the voucher. Out of pocket would be tough lol
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @jwdk19 SANS professors are hands on and will teach you a great deal.