Prices going up...

StormiCyberStormiCyber Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys!

It looks like the prices for SANS courses will be going up during SANS Cyber Defense Initiative 2019.

For example check out FOR572 before and during SANS Cyber Defense Initiative 2019:

FOR572 Advanced Network Forensics: Threat Hunting, Analysis, and Incident Response 
Dates: Mon, Dec 02 - Sat, Dec 07 (6 Days)
Fee: 6,610 USD
GNFA Certification Attempt - 769 USD OnDemand Bundle - 769 USD 
NetWars DFIR Continuous Bundle - 1,340 USD

FOR572 Advanced Network Forensics: Threat Hunting, Analysis, and Incident Response 
Dates: Thu, Dec 12 - Tue, Dec 17 (6 Days)
Fee: 7,020 USD
GNFA Certification Attempt - 799 USD OnDemand Bundle - 799 USD NetWars DFIR Continuous Bundle - 1,420 USD

I just thought I'd share this for those who may not know. It may not go up much for some people but if you or your company are paying for it this may be important information. 

Degree: B.S. in Industrial Engineering
Current Certifications 
: Security+, ITILv3, CASP, CEHv10, GCIH
SANS Courses Taken: GCIH, GSEC, GPEN
Next Course: GCUX - Sept 2019
Studying for
 : GPEN [In-Progress]
Future Certififcations : GCIA, GSE, GCWN, GCFA, eJPT, GWAPT, GWAN, GXPN, OSCP

Comments

• shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • MrsWilliamsMrsWilliams Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited August 2019
    Hey Guys!

It looks like the prices for SANS courses will be going up during SANS Cyber Defense Initiative 2019.

For example check out FOR572 before and during SANS Cyber Defense Initiative 2019:

Dates: Mon, Dec 02 - Sat, Dec 07 (6 Days)
    Fee: 6,610 USD
    GNFA Certification Attempt - 769 USD 
    OnDemand Bundle - 769 USD 
    NetWars DFIR Continuous Bundle - 1,340 USD

Dates: Thu, Dec 12 - Tue, Dec 17 (6 Days)
    Fee: 7,020 USD
    GNFA Certification Attempt - 799 USD 
    OnDemand Bundle - 799 USD 
    NetWars DFIR Continuous Bundle - 1,420 USD

I just thought I'd share this for those who may not know. It may not go up much for some people but if you or your company are paying for it this may be important information. 

Nothing new my friend. The prices go up every single year. It's probably a post about the SANS prices going up on this forum going back 5 years. The prices will go up next year as well.  B)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Yeah, this come up occasionally. I've done 7 work studys and a few days ago i was looking at the historical increases. Going nowhere but up given that they are simply the elite in infosec training out there. No secret that they cater to .gov, .mil, and.com with deep pockets. 
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□

Looking back on the way back time machine, the GSEC was once around 2 grand, but it was a 2 day class. I just renewed my GSEC, $445 was painful enough.

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□

Looking back on the way back time machine, the GSEC was once around 2 grand, but it was a 2 day class. I just renewed my GSEC, $445 was painful enough.

Yea, my GCIH expires next year and think this cost is ridiculous. 
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Just renewed my GSEC and was lucky work agreed last second to pick up the tab. I've signed up for Work Study once more. It's the only way to afford to take the classes. It's a shame, but with classes still filling, they'll only continue to go up because they can.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Someone told me SANs is a non-profit organization so....
  • Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, this come up occasionally. I've done 7 work studys and a few days ago i was looking at the historical increases. Going nowhere but up given that they are simply the elite in infosec training out there. No secret that they cater to .gov, .mil, and.com with deep pockets. 
    Actually, that really isn't the case. Government is just in a place where they can buy hundreds of vouchers as opposed to many private sector companies. Government needs to keep the courses under $3k otherwise it has to go through more oversight because of budget constraints (recall, the federal government has been in a CR for like a decade now...which means typically no new money is allocated). They also do private events for many universities where they send out an instructor and teach like 40+ the material. Had a friend do it in Cali and said it was amazing. 

Where they cater the most to is academia. I'll continue to harp on it :) -- go through their STI program and it is significantly cheaper! They are literally the same classes, the only difference is you HAVE to pass the cert to pass the class. Most companies have Tuition Reimbursement and it can be leveraged outside of a training budget that almost no company outside the Global 100 could afford to send more than like 4 people to a year. 
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    [quote] Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old and when you do you'll fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable

baz-luhrmann-lyrics-everybody-s-free-to-wear-sunscreen[/quote]
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□

Wow!  Holy Sticker Shock!

Last SANS course I took was GCIH in 2016 and that was a tough pill at $6K!

Looking at the GISP now at $7K.

• Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BillHoo said:

Wow!  Holy Sticker Shock!

Last SANS course I took was GCIH in 2016 and that was a tough pill at $6K!

Looking at the GISP now at $7K.

Yeah, I know. That's why I've never paid for a SANs course and won't unless the job pays for it. I've having issues paying for certs out of my own pocket since like the only thing I find affordable is like CompTIA ones. I just have difficulty swallowing a $100+ book (ISACA) and then a $500+ test, especially when its like not a guarantee pass (or at least my mindset isn't like its 100% pass when I go take them). With a family, its rough to try to keep justifying the prices out of pocket. I mean, its cutting into my wifes MK purse purchases and her Audi A8! (Just kidding about those two)