Taking PenTest+ After Sec+

JSNJSN Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
Would this be a good idea, or would I experience any learning gaps?

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you get quality study material, it should be okay.  I recommend starting with a Udemy course or one of the various PentTest+ study guides.  I also suggest Georgia Weidman's book, as well.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pentester here (well about 25% of the time among other security duties). I see like 4 hits for Pentest+ on a popular online job board. Might be better to save the Pentest+ for another year or two and then take it as a convenience to renew your Security+.

I mean it's a means to learn more about penetration testing, vulnerability management, some scripting, and what not. I don't think the price of the exam is worth it if your goal is to get hired as a penetration tester though. You're still going to need to find some training and a lab environment to practice on. If I were you, I'd find some other learning course/exam/labs where you'd get more bang for your buck. I did it because at the time it was $50 and I had obtained the CySA+ like 3 weeks earlier.

A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • charismaticxcharismaticx Member Posts: 160 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jason Dion's Udemy course is great way to start studying. However, the Pentest + does require some level of experience with incident response and scripting. It's a great test and it's definitely one of their harder test. 
    Goals: PNPT; OSCP; GPYC; GSE
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For practical, hands-on training, I recommend Zaid Sabih's courses on Udemy. Don't let the prices scare you. They get cheaper when you create an account. And then periodically, they have sales for $10 and $20. https://www.udemy.com/user/zaidsabih/
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited October 2019
    tedjames said:
    For practical, hands-on training, I recommend Zaid Sabih's courses on Udemy. Don't let the prices scare you. They get cheaper when you create an account. And then periodically, they have sales for $10 and $20. https://www.udemy.com/user/zaidsabih/
    +1 to this. I have been on here praising Zaids courses for years now. They were my first step to prepping for the OSCP and served me very well.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    McxRisley said:
    tedjames said:
    +1 to this. I have been on here praising Zaids courses for years now. They were my first step to prepping for the OSCP and served me very well.
    That's very encouraging, because I hope to take the OSCP one day. Still have a lot to learn!