Getting Drained and Tired...

Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited October 2019 in General Certification
Is it me or have others seen that it is getting a little ridiculous with the certifications now, the prices of just taking a test, CPEs and the like? I mean, I'm getting burned out trying to study and keep up. It seems like the only thing I'm doing to keep certs is take classes to count towards CPEs and get another cert. Then again, topics that I would like to become more proficient in allude me because of the need to study for tests. I know how to manage time properly but between working 40+hrs, a wife, house, two daughters in cheer/gymnastics/tumbling and another teenage daughter, its just getting to where I'm like, "blah... I don't want to do it anymore."

Especially with the prices of stuff. Bootcamps of $3K+, tests costing $400+ which just seem to be due to the fact of the ANSI certification that the companies want to keep so they stay on the DoD radar.

Comments

• advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, prices are a little absurd but I'm not burned out necessarily. It's the field I chose.. which means you have to constantly grow.

I'm sorry you're struggling. I always look for my companies to pay for my CPEs, Bootcamps, etc. If I can't get them covered then I'll pay for them but that's typically what drives me to various contracts.. the fact that they will pay.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hear ya. I mean, like you, it is the field I chose so I understand that. Its just after having, what I think is a fair number of certs (like 6) and having to do all the CPEs for them, even if they count towards multiple, its just draining. Like I would love to learn Python better than I know it but I just can't seem to find extra time between work, family, studying for certs, boot camps. So its like when do you have downtime? When I get my 2-3.5hrs of sleep a night!
  • mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah i was just talking about being overall drained from trying to balance everything...
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nothing wrong with taking a break from studying, if you time it right get your CPEs done early then take a break for 6-12 months before getting the next batch done.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited October 2019
    Why isn't your employer paying for the continuing education of your skill set they are benefiting from?  Have you asked them to?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    iBrokeIT said:
    Why isn't your employer paying for the continuing education of your skill set they are benefiting from?  Have you asked them to?
    That's funny. I know people (me) who are contractors for the government and they can't even get their companies they're contracted through to keep them in compliance with 8570.1! So they have to pay all out of pocket to just keep the CEUs up.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds to me like your employer sucks.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Grafixx01 said:
    iBrokeIT said:
    That's funny. I know people (me) who are contractors for the government and they can't even get their companies they're contracted through to keep them in compliance with 8570.1! So they have to pay all out of pocket to just keep the CEUs up.
    If you are your own employer, you should be adding those items and other benefits into your billable rate.  If aren't, you are getting screwed and paid below market rate compared to a full time W2 employee that is getting those things.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Grafixx01 said:
    Not unusual, then you get people who are either willing to invest in themselves or get lazy. I have a team where several stopped doing CE and currently don't have a single cert. When I took the team over, I gave them three months to start getting back in compliance, some had multiple certs to achieve, and their employer pushed the cost on them. I learned a while back I much prefer working with people willing to invest in themselves than with those who have to be pushed.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Grafixx01:
    I was unemployed for over 1 year. I got laid off 2 weeks after I closed on a house. I am not the first, nor the last. My goal was to move into the new house and fix the existing house up. It took 3 months of hard work before the house was in selling shape. I will remember to keep working on the house a little every week. The market was bad in our area but we sold it and used most of that money as a down payment on the new home.

When I had time to focus on looking for a job, I did just that. I called all of my contacts and although they liked me and knew I would be a good fit, they could not hire anyone at that time.
    I finally kept calling those small contracting firms that would annoy the hell out of me (sometimes asking if I would work out if state), I decided to call them up and for the most part they were useless.... actually they were a deterrent for me getting a job because they would submit me without my knowledge in some cases. Other times I did it. I guess according to most company policies, you must wait 1 year to resubmit your resume. In most cases they wanted someone less seasoned to pay them less, I get it, but when you have to call me, you will pay for my services.... this has happened on more than one occasion.

Within 6 months, I thought I got lucky working C2C and making some decent money. After working 2 months on the contract that was slanted in the organization's favor 100%, I told them "NO... because I do not think it would be fair to me as I would take the responsibility." I may have been born yesterday, but I wasn't born last night. It turns out it actually worked out for me. I also did research on this company and discovered there was a high turnover rate in many departments. I felt like Neo dodging a bullet!

I discovered as time went on those jobs I really wanted would soon be outsourced. ...soooooo you can say that I was lucky not to get those positions to wind up unemployed. 
    I got more luck coming my way as I received a call back from a local recruiter who said I have a phone interview and if worked out I would get hired as a contractor and start work within 2 weeks.
    Now I have a second part time job and I am working 60 - 80 hours / week and I will go after the CISM and some other certs when I have time.

Good luck to you!!!

Regards,
    Bigdogz