AWS Solutions Architect - Passed

odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
Its been a few years since I took a certification. I finally made it goal to pass the AWS Solution Architects exam this year. I gave myself 90 days which was more than I needed, 60 days would have been enough.

I used A Cloud Gurus videos. I did have access to Linux Academy and was going to use their videos as well but I started them too late to get through all 52 hours. ACG will get you through the exam, LA will better prepare you for working with the services for your job. I just changed jobs and I only need to speak about AWS at a higher level now.

I also used the practice tests below and they were a great resource along with the **** sheets.
https://www.udemy.com/share/101WdwBUASc1Y=/
https://tutorialsdojo.com/aws-****-sheets/

The exam was difficult and at first I wasn't sure I was going to pass. There was quite a bit on classic load balancers and almost none on ALB. 10 questions into the exam I started worrying I had book an old, dated exam and not the 2019.

I did end up passing and in the days to come I will know my passing percentage.
Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Comments

• itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Did you have any previous experience with AWS before your 90 days of study? How would someone with mid level IT skills go with a 60 day plan and access to LA?
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I had partially studied for the exam in the past but would get off tracked. I never had real working experience prior to studying for the exam. Linux academy usually has a sale around black Friday to a annual subscription for about 300.00.  You usually can get the ACG videos on Udemy for 10 bucks on sale.My background was a VMware admin so many of the virtual concepts I already understood.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • unrealbeachbumunrealbeachbum Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I just passed the Associate looking to take the Professional before the end of the year!
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats and thank you for posting! How were you performing on those udemy Bonso/Dojo practice exams, if I may ask?

I'm actually doing this studying right now. Did a free week on ACG and am slogging through the Linux Academy course. I jumped the gun a little bit and took a practice exam from that pack just to see what I'm in store for. Got 75%, but didn't feel great about it. That said, I'm only 50% through the LA course.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
    LonerVamp said:
    Congrats and thank you for posting! How were you performing on those udemy Bonso/Dojo practice exams, if I may ask?

I'm actually doing this studying right now. Did a free week on ACG and am slogging through the Linux Academy course. I jumped the gun a little bit and took a practice exam from that pack just to see what I'm in store for. Got 75%, but didn't feel great about it. That said, I'm only 50% through the LA course.
    When I first did the Bonso tests I was 50-60%. After I read through the incorrect answers I was 75-90 percent. Make sure you read his **** sheets and the AWS FAQ's. I feel had I read them in depth and done the LA course I would have gotten a higher mark, found out today I pass with a 755. Anyways, my job changed and I won't really need AWS at this time besides talking points as I am technical sales engineer and my current product does not interact with AWS at all. My previous company's software did work with AWS and is what sparked this study path. No matter what, the cloud is here and cloud certs are the hot new shiny object.
  • craig009craig009 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @odysseyelite congratulations. Well done .
    May I ask this : How many questions is the exam ,
    What's the pass mark and time duration .
    Have been hearing alot of my work colleagues trying to get into AWS solutions architecture exam and also the security aspect.
    Could you advise on the and was the question simulation or situation based or a bit of both .
    Hope to hear from you soon. 
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    craig009 said:
    @odysseyelite congratulations. Well done .
    May I ask this : How many questions is the exam ,
    What's the pass mark and time duration .
    Have been hearing alot of my work colleagues trying to get into AWS solutions architecture exam and also the security aspect.
    Could you advise on the and was the question simulation or situation based or a bit of both .
    Hope to hear from you soon. 
    All of these can be answered by the official exam guide here: https://aws.amazon.com/certification/certified-solutions-architect-associate/

I take it you didn't bother looking at anything about the exam before posting? I mean, you could Google each question and get the answer quickly.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @odysseyelite Thanks for the great post and your process!!! I will probably take this exam within the next 4 or 5 months.
  • craig009craig009 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @odysseyelite I did but couldn't find it .
    Perhaps I should have tried alternatives 
    craig009 said:
    @odysseyelite I did but couldn't find it .
    Perhaps I should have tried alternatives 
    I have to agree with LonerVamp on his assessment of you not researching the questions before asking. One of the best advice I received was from an old boss. I was a FoxPro programmer and he taught me to research my problems before coming to him asking for the answer. He would only assist after I told him what resources I tried to find the solution and most of the time he would point me to a reference that would provide the answer. 

This process has helped my career dearly including studying for certifications like AWS.