I'm new here

Christine_BoltonChristine_Bolton Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, my name is Christine and I am going through a career change I do know some networking and very much know my way around a computer I have also done some coding trying to find what excites me and I found computer forensics to be my interest but I have been trying to find out if I have to take my A +, Network + Security + before I can take the Computer forensics? I would much rather just dive into taking the Computer forensics course. Can anyone help me out with this? Also, I have been trying to find a coursebook for the CCFE exam and I can't find one does anyone have recommendations for books?

Thank you,
Christine

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just dive into a forensics course.   If you are having trouble finding an entry level position you might want to try and get one of those certs, but otherwise go learn what you enjoy. 
  • Christine_BoltonChristine_Bolton Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you I have been stressing myself out trying to figure out if I have to take the +'s first or not I am sure I can look up anything that I don't know what they are talking about such as "hashing" etc I can learn online 
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    You can certainly try to dive into a forensics course right off the bat, but you may find that you're not familiar with the underlying concepts being discussed in that course. If that happens, you may want to consider picking up your A+/Net+/Sec+, but no one is stopping you from jumping right in!

If you're looking for some training material to check out, I suggest you take a look at Infosec Skills! We pull content straight from our boot camps for you to watch at your convenience, and we've got a practice exam for you to take as well. Let me know if you have any questions!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
    I am taking the info skils CCFE course now but, I also wanted a book to read as well
    and I am getting a little lost on the hard drive part 
    think I am really lost I'm not sure who to talk to for my direction I want to go to or where to start
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Look for Security groups/meetups in your area.   Also, look at jobs you want in your area and what they are asking for.  
    think I am really lost I'm not sure who to talk to for my direction I want to go to or where to start
    If you can give us some context as to how you found IT, what your experience with technology is, and what you're interested in, I'm sure we'd be able to give you some better advice as to where to start!
    Who we are | What we do
    I have been working with computers since I was a kid since TI but, I didn't really get into computer until I was an adult and it's just troubleshooting my own machine and family and friends I have read some of the network and  A+ books just for myself I have helped people work through software programs they didn't understand. When a computer gives me a problem and I can't fix it I don't let it beat me and I figure and find out how to fix it. I was helping my mother with her computer and she suggested to me to look into computer Security I never had any interest in it. So I started reading about it and I came across Computer Forensics I just passed over it. But, I kept thinking about and decided to do some research on what it was and BOOM! that was what I wanted to do I worked for a lawyer several years back and I loved learning about the law. so the combination of my love computers and law was just what I was looking for. So I bought the Security + book and have been reading it but, some of it I don't understand and thought of starting at the bare basics of A+ it feels like a long process to get to where I want to be as a computer forensics examiner. But, When I don't understand hashing, snarfing, imaging a hard drive, etc. I'm like what the heck is he talking about?..lol which tells me I have to go back to the basics to be a really good examiner and someday open my own Computer Forensics company.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    edited November 2019
    The GCFE and GCFA are great courses but they're pricey. eLearnSecurity is a cheaper alternative and is self-pace: https://www.elearnsecurity.com/course/digital_forensics_professional/

Tackle this course and see how you go. If you're passionate about the topic, you will finish the course quickly!

Welcome to the forums! Looking forward to see where your journey takes you

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Thank you, Unfornutilly I am working contract jobs as admin asst and I am single so it's just me pulling a paycheck so funds are very slim as a matter of fact the job I'm doing right now ends today so back to the job hunt on Monday that's why I'm changing my career to computer work and I love computers and it's job security as well. 
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    your best bet in this case is free resources which there are plenty of. Source coursea/youtube and other websites for information. I do think elearnsecurity is a good value for the knowledge they offer packaged with hands-on labs (although the certs they offer aren't really recognised by most people).

I also suggest being a bit flexible in job search, so if you manage to land a helpdesk or desktop support role or a network role - take it for the experience. you can do computer forensics later while you build up your skills. In fact, I'll make getting a job in IT a priority now, and forensics knowledge the second priority.

Good luck!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Well, I just bought my A+ book going to go back to basics
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I suggest going for the A+, not just reading an A+ book, but actually booking the exam and taking a serious approach at it. Next step would be getting a job in IT--tech support or something similar. I believe salary would be similar to admin assistant, so very doable. From there reevaluate and pursue forensics if it still interests you.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    So I am trying to find simulation labs for free for the A+ and I can't seem to find any that are not going to cost me an arm and leg also, I am a hands-on type of person especially when it comes to computers. Also, how do you get a job in IT without any experience? or without your A+ yet?
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited November 2019
    @Christine_Bolton
    I think you should start with your A+, then Net+, Sec+ and start working your way to the top. Being more familiar with Net + will help with Sec+ will give you some knowledge but you may have to know quite a bit before stepping into forensics.

Good Luck
    I am doing that now I bought my A+ book this weekend and I have been studying it. and then I will follow with the rest I think it is a wise choice. You have to learn to crawl before you can walk...:) 
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To answer your questions about getting a job without experience or an A+:  you should go to meetup.com and search for any group that deals with women in tech, new IT professionals, etc.  For instance, there are several women in tech groups near where I live, in Denver.  If there is something in tech you are interested in, I can almost guarantee that there is something on meetup for that interest.  Also, look for hiring events, as well.  A google search will likely bring up at least one or two a month.  You may need to travel to them, as the size of the city/town/province you live in may make these events more or less frequent.  Lastly, just apply for jobs.  You would be amazed how many jobs don't really require experience and/or certifications.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Hi stryder, I live in Parker, co thank you for the info I will look into the meet ups
    I agree - the A+,Net+,Sec+ should be more than enough to get you an entry-level job in IT, regardless of your experience/degree. Honestly, the A+ should be enough to land you a T1 support job at the right company. Especially in roles like that, they wouldn't expect you to know everything, but it's more about having a familiarity with technology and being willing to learn.

Once you get to the point where you're ready to learn more about networking, I'd encourage you to check out our cyber range on Infosec Skills! Once you get up to the higher-level certs, hands-on knowledge is going to be more and more effective. Good luck with the A+ and your job search!
    Who we are | What we do
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Regarding certifications and training, download the exam objectives and syllabi (syllabuses?) for whatever you want to do, even if you don't think you can afford to take them. Then create your own study plan. There are plenty of free resources such as blog sites, YouTube, Professor Messer, Cybrary, etc. There are also thousands of free and inexpensive courses on Udemy, some as low as $10. Mike Meyers offers some great Sec/Net/A+ training on Udemy. I took his A+ course, not because I wanted to work Help Desk but because I wanted to learn to work on my own computer. He is a very visual teacher. No slides or PowerPoint hell for him.

Also, there may be some scholarship opportunities geared toward women who work in or want to work in security. There are plenty of great security-related groups for women and plenty of great women leaders in the field. Check these out:

Tanya Janca is one of the best of anybody in the world of security. She also big on mentoring. She has a lot of great things to offer the security community in general: https://code.likeagirl.io/@shehackspurple Create a Twitter account and follow her. You will learn a lot.

Ell Marquez is doing great things regarding tech mentoring: https://twitter.com/Ell_o_Punk

Thank you I am using prefossor Messer and I'm using the cram exam A+ book and studying each objective then taking practice tests on each objectives. Thank you for the information 😊
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the forum! Looks like you got plenty of guidance here :smile:

Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    Yes can always have more and meet more good like minded people
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forums glad to have ya here!! :smile:
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Thank you very much