Failed CCSP last week. How to move on?

raymondouraymondou Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□

Failed CCSP last week, had never failed in an exam before (passed CISSP in 2017), materials I used include

1. Sybex Official guide (cover to cover), do the bonus exams as well

2. CBK (cover to cover)

3. Sybex Practice test (twice, first time 70+%, second time 80+%)

4. Cybrary video

5. AIO chapter test, do the Total tester as well

The question of the real exam is not really like the above tests I have done above, some are never mentioned before, and both questions and answers are long and looks like an English comprehension test, sometimes need to read two or three times. But anyway when I submitted to complete I felt confident to pass, however the outcome is 4 near proficient while 2 above proficient.

1. Saw from ISC website that " Candidates must score above the proficiency level in all Domains in order to pass the exam", is it applied to CCSP?

2. Would like to take the 2nd chance, how to move on? Any other material? (Heard that some guys recommend CSA security guide v4 ).

Could anybody advise? Thanks.

Comments

• imnewbieimnewbie Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recommend you should look for CSA security guide. I am studying for ccsk too. Maybe you can consider to take ccsk for review and take the ccsp
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @raymondou
    Yes, use the material for the CCSK. If you read the material, it will give you a better chance of passing. As before witht he CISSP that you passed, just remember the concepts.

Good Luck!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    When I see these posts I always have to ask about the background. Do you have cloud experience? I am also curious as to what topics you saw on the test that were not covered in the books.
    I do not know the experience of the OP
    @cyberguypr
    You are right. I think a lot of people go into this exam when they do not have the experience.

I also think that if you look at the CCSK material as well as the Original ISC2 Guide, it is easier.
  • raymondouraymondou Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited November 2019
    Hi all, thanks for your suggestion. Still want to know whether "Candidates must score above the proficiency level in all Domains in order to pass the exam" is applied to CCSP or not? For the worst case, if 5 domains above the proficiency but 1 domain near/below proficiency, will still fail?

When I see these posts I always have to ask about the background. Do you have cloud experience? I am also curious as to what topics you saw on the test that were not covered in the books.

Have around 1 year cloud experience. Something unfamiliar like what OSX layer is obscured from ids, CRC vs SHX, To ensure secure when dim, use SHX or AEX (cannot specify the exact terms, using masking-X here). What do you think?
    1. Yes
    2. Yes... If you are below. You should have a passing grade for all domains.

Good Luck!
  • internutzzinternutzz Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bigdogz said:
    1. Yes
    2. Yes... If you are below. You should have a passing grade for all domains.

Good Luck!
    I'm not sure that is correct, but yes of course that should be the aim!

It's explicitly stated that for adaptive exams (i.e. the English language version of the CISSP) you need to be above proficiency in all domains, but for linear exams (i.e. all other exams) it's only stated you need to score above 700: https: // www. isc2. org / register-for-exam/ exam-scoring-faqs (I can't post proper links yet.)

• raymondouraymondou Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□

Just check it again. https: // www. isc2. org / register-for-exam/ exam-scoring-faqs

Q: What is the passing proficiency level for adaptive testing?

A: The proficiency is defined here as “passing standard.” Candidates must score above the proficiency level in all Domains in order to pass the exam.

• Below proficiency – below the passing standard

• Near proficiency – close to the passing standard

• Above proficiency – above the passing standard

Wondering is it just for adaptive testing (e.g., CISSP) or is it for all other tests (e.g., CCSP)?

That 'close to the passing standard' is just that. Another phrase 'close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades' comes to mind.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    raymondou said:

Failed CCSP last week. How to move on?

Alcohol, Lots of alcohol. Still nursing my ego after my CCNA fail.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    @TechGromit
    Maybe that is how you should take the exam!

Good luck !
  • internutzzinternutzz Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    raymondou said:

Just check it again. https: // www. isc2. org / register-for-exam/ exam-scoring-faqs

Q: What is the passing proficiency level for adaptive testing?

A: The proficiency is defined here as “passing standard.” Candidates must score above the proficiency level in all Domains in order to pass the exam.

• Below proficiency – below the passing standard

• Near proficiency – close to the passing standard

• Above proficiency – above the passing standard

Wondering is it just for adaptive testing (e.g., CISSP) or is it for all other tests (e.g., CCSP)?

As I said above the only thing that is explicitly stated for linear exams (including the CCSP) is that a scaled score of 700 or above is required. I read that as saying you don't need to score above proficiency in all domains. I had heard before, but there's no evidence to support this, that for the CISSP prior to the CAT version you needed to be above proficiency in 6/8 domains and score above 700.