CIPP/E Advice

Comments

• abhisheksekhri1abhisheksekhri1 Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi All - I bought CIPP official book (European Data Protection) earlier this year. Now the test syllabus has been updated from 1st sept. Do I need to buy the new book? Has anything changed in the book? I could not find any changes in the preview available on IAPP website. Can someone please suggest? Thanks.
  • PrivyProfPrivyProf Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @abhisheksekhri1
    I would rather suggest you to directly call and check with the certification team in IAPP. I guess that would be the fastest and best approach...
    Not disregarding anyone, this forum is of immense help and we have some of the most talented certified Privacy Professionals... But looking at the time and schedule best approach would be the one I suggested...

Best of Luck for your Exams !!!
  • PrivyProfPrivyProf Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @one2three
    Thanks for the valuable inputs..

I understand that these are just the certifications but as I am new to the Privacy field I am planning to add more of the badges against my name and this would also help to gain the height in my career...

Thanks Again !!
  • one2threeone2three Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi All - I bought CIPP official book (European Data Protection) earlier this year. Now the test syllabus has been updated from 1st sept. Do I need to buy the new book? Has anything changed in the book? I could not find any changes in the preview available on IAPP website. Can someone please suggest? Thanks.
    What I know is that is a small chapter update regarding the CCPA and its relations with GDPR, but for insurance feel free to contact the IAPP
  • ipiyaliipiyali Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dear Colleagues,

Happy to share that I cleared the exam yesterday at my first attempt. The score is 86/87/88 with total of 413. This thread helped me a lot to understand how to approach the exam. However I also got too much anxious with each review from the members. I postponed the exam a couple of times and finally yesterday cleared it at a go and the questions did not seem so tough as I thought it would be.

I had only studied the GDPR text and the official book. If I look back at yesterday's question pattern I think the GDPR text is good enough to handle it. But yes one needs to be through with the Articles and concepts. I did not like the scenario questions a bit and it required a quite lot of attention and concentration to understand each question. I grew tired in between the exam and started marking incorrect answers. Luckily I finished little early so could check and correct. Anyways it was a great experience all throughout.

Good luck to you all.
  • OsmanUKOsmanUK Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have the official CIPP/E book electronically that they don't need? I would like to buy it, because they charge so much for the book on their site.
  • TightTeeShirtTightTeeShirt Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited December 2019
    I know this thread is about the exam but something I want to bring to light now that I’ve passed are the CPE credits.

you need to acquire 20 over a 2 year period to keep your exam valid. I went to an knowledgenet discussion at my local chapter and it was good for 1 credit and there seem to be MAYBE 4 or 5 meetings a year.

i don’t like how I’m forced to regularly attend $1,000 conferences if I want to keep my certification. Frankly it seems like an obnoxious money grab and quite shitty. There should be other options
  • ca01eica01ei Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ipiyali said:
    Dear Colleagues,

Happy to share that I cleared the exam yesterday at my first attempt. The score is 86/87/88 with total of 413. This thread helped me a lot to understand how to approach the exam. However I also got too much anxious with each review from the members. I postponed the exam a couple of times and finally yesterday cleared it at a go and the questions did not seem so tough as I thought it would be.

I had only studied the GDPR text and the official book. If I look back at yesterday's question pattern I think the GDPR text is good enough to handle it. But yes one needs to be through with the Articles and concepts. I did not like the scenario questions a bit and it required a quite lot of attention and concentration to understand each question. I grew tired in between the exam and started marking incorrect answers. Luckily I finished little early so could check and correct. Anyways it was a great experience all throughout.

Good luck to you all.
    Hi ipiyali
    Did you use the 2nd edition of the text book? I've purchased the 1st edition, but don't know the differences between these two editions.
  • ipiyaliipiyali Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I had used both the first edition and the second edition. The language of the chapters are the same except in some cases where they have updated the current scenarios.
    Please compare the index of the old version and the new version which is available in IAPP website as sample. This should give you a fair idea.
  • cherrybhatnagarcherrybhatnagar Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    senwar said:
    riverstyx wrote: »
    Congratulations on passing, senwar, CIPP/E! Ha!

I sat the exam in French (because I speak enough to get by and it was only $100!) about 10 days ago and am awaiting my results. I wasn't aware of the three domains (I'd studied based on the 18 sub-domains), but, given that Domain #2 is "European Data Protection Law and Regulation," which is, arguably, the one that really matters, I suppose it makes sense that they'd be sticklers for that one.

Congratulations once again--with both the CIPP/E and the CIPM, you're probably in a pretty good position to take on some DPO work!

By the way, how was the CIPM? How did you prepare for it?

Hi riverstyx - apologies for the late reply and thanks for your comments.

For the CIPM I used the books from the IAPP course (privacy programme management and privacy foundation) and to be honest, have a lot of background knowledge on programme management as it is in other areas. I do feel that 90% of the theory is the same whether security, continuity or programme so this helped me (I've implemented continuity programmes before).

Looking back I think I was lucky in a way as perhaps I was a little too sure of myself for the CIPM but did get through. My CIPP/E experiences has certainly changed how I'll approach future exams.

I didn't find the CIPM one hard but strangely I found the first CIPP/E exam easier - yet I failed!

I'm on the CIPT course this week so will hopefully be registering for that exam at some point in the next few months too.
    Hi Senwar, how many hours (approx) did you put in for the exam? Thanks
  • ALFrankieALFrankie Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PrivyProf said:
    Hi All,

Before posting anything, I would like to take a moment and thank to all of you who has posted about their experiences over here. It helps a lot.

Last week I passed my CIPP/E exam with a score of 343 (Domain 1 - 63%, Domain 2 - 78% and Domain 3 - 75%).

I must say passing this exam is not at all a walk in the park; but also it's not super hard. If you prepare well GDPR Regulation Text and Book by Eduardo Ustaran, that will be sufficient. But make sure you understand each and every point within them.

I would also suggest you to go through some of the guidelines published by WP29 which would help you to under certain concepts in details and which would help you to answer the questions during exam. WP29 has explained with examples so it becomes easy to understand the concept and practical application of the Regulation.

In a nutshell, if you understand the concept you can pass the exam easily. Prepare to understand the concept and not to clear the exam. If you understand you will definitely clear your exam.

Best of Luck and Thanks once again !!
    Why do I have to cram Articles 1-50 of the GDPR?
    Why do I have to cram Articles 1-50 of the GDPR as indicated in the comment?

Can anyone sell a copy of Ustaran, Eduardo. European Data Protection: Law and Practice for a decent price?

Or the exam sample questions that was helpful for the CIPP/E exam?

• artman3211artman3211 Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone for your comments and time!  I am sitting for the CIPP /E soon and just passed the CIPP /US.  Anyone have any updated outlines or study tips to share?  It would be GREATLY appreciated!  Thank you so much.  
    I passed the CIPP/E last weekend. Waiting for the certificate and thinking of how to start gaining experience...Any thoughts?
    ipiyali said:
    Dear Colleagues,

Good luck to you all.
    How do we now gain the requisite job experiences to make the certificate useful?
  • CampbellCampbell Registered Users Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited March 2020
    Thank you everyone for your comments and time!  I am sitting for the CIPP /E soon and just passed the CIPP /US.  Anyone have any updated outlines or study tips to share?  It would be GREATLY appreciated!  Thank you so much.  
    Hi Artman,
    • Just search Google for: 'CIPP/E and CIPP/US study and exam guide' and you will be well on your way.
    • The official textbook has not yet been updated with the September 2019 changes. The IAPP has written several blog posts about the new topics. I think I have read an article with links about this. Just search for CIPP/E and CIPP/US annual update.
    Good luck!
  • snmgcmensnmgcmen Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone,

I finally passed CIPP/E exam last week and I want to thank you all for your time, comments and tips. Your comments really helped me while I was studying for the exam so I want to share my experiences with you all. As everyone said, the exam was not easy but also not as hard as I expected (I postponed the exam a couple of times). I focused on the official textbook, GDPR, sample questions and WP29 opinions endorsed by EDPB. I think these materials are enough for the exam but you have to scrutinize them really in detail. I have to say that WP29 opinions specifically helped me so much as they include many examples that clarify the issue and are helpful to see the exact point. It goes without saying that the most important part of the exam is 'European Data Protection Law and Regulation' so you have to know GDPR very well with every exception and timeline. Don't underestimate the Article 50 and the rest. You can see questions that require you to know about general conditions for imposing administrative fines. Meanwhile, I bought my official textbook-print version in November and then I figured out that there are some updates in the book. I emailed IAPP and they sent me the electronic version of the up-to-date book so I would recommend that you follow the same path if you are nervous because of your old-edition textbook. There are just a few updates such as Brexit, Convention 108+ and some EDPB opinions. 

Good luck to you all.
  • vickyqsvickyqs Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Can anyone sell IAPP official textbook - European Data Protection: Law and Practice (online version)? Thanks a lot!
  • mariaheffmariaheff Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For anyone asking about update outlines/changes from the old book. There's a good article on the cipptraining website which outlines the changes - I can't post the link but they recommend reading the following articles on the IAPP site: How to draft a gdpr compliant retention policy, the working party guidance on consent is finally here, how to comply with provisions on joint controllers under the gdpr and what's subject to a dpia under the GDPR? EDPB on draft lists of 22 supervisory authorities. That's all for CIPP/E. They have other recommendations regarding changes to CIPP/US. I can post if any one wants them
  • aranaarana Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    snmgcmen said:
    Hi everyone,

I finally passed CIPP/E exam last week and I want to thank you all for your time, comments and tips. Your comments really helped me while I was studying for the exam so I want to share my experiences with you all. As everyone said, the exam was not easy but also not as hard as I expected (I postponed the exam a couple of times). I focused on the official textbook, GDPR, sample questions and WP29 opinions endorsed by EDPB. I think these materials are enough for the exam but you have to scrutinize them really in detail. I have to say that WP29 opinions specifically helped me so much as they include many examples that clarify the issue and are helpful to see the exact point. It goes without saying that the most important part of the exam is 'European Data Protection Law and Regulation' so you have to know GDPR very well with every exception and timeline. Don't underestimate the Article 50 and the rest. You can see questions that require you to know about general conditions for imposing administrative fines. Meanwhile, I bought my official textbook-print version in November and then I figured out that there are some updates in the book. I emailed IAPP and they sent me the electronic version of the up-to-date book so I would recommend that you follow the same path if you are nervous because of your old-edition textbook. There are just a few updates such as Brexit, Convention 108+ and some EDPB opinions. 

Good luck to you all.
    Hey congratulations !! My exam is valid till July and I was planing to give it in April though not sure now when I can give it as exam centers across the world will be closed for few months. 

I also bought my book before September 2019 which is when the syllabus changed, and I believe some more changes have come in after that, I also write to IAPP for the updated book but they said no new changes have been made in the book in 2019. Which is weird. I’m wondering if you could pls forward / email me the electronic book ? That would be super helpful if an updated version indeed exists.
  • aranaarana Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can someone please guide on which WP 29 opinions should be read? There are so many! 
    arana said:
    snmgcmen said:
    Hi everyone,

Good luck to you all.
    Hey congratulations !! My exam is valid till July and I was planing to give it in April though not sure now when I can give it as exam centers across the world will be closed for few months. 

I also bought my book before September 2019 which is when the syllabus changed, and I believe some more changes have come in after that, I also write to IAPP for the updated book but they said no new changes have been made in the book in 2019. Which is weird. I’m wondering if you could pls forward / email me the electronic book ? That would be super helpful if an updated version indeed exists.
    You can do your exam online from your own home now! I can't post a link but look up "remote proctoring" on the IAPP site. You qualify if you meet these criteria:
    • Quiet, private location.
    • Reliable computer with a web camera and microphone.
    • Strong internet connection.
    Best of luck!
  • faz1987faz1987 Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi there, well what can i say. I took this CIPPe in 2019 August and I failed by a measley 19 percent :(  (78/61/58). will go at it again very soon, not giving up yet. But yeh it can be a little tricky to answer certain questions. 
  • pcee0406pcee0406 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    edited June 2020
    Hi All,

I am planning to take up CIPPE, need some guidance as i am not from law background mugging up laws is very difficult for me does anyone has a (****)sheet that i refer to or any other document/notes apart from the text book to guide me
    pcee0406 said:
    Hi All,

I am planning to take up CIPPE, need some guidance as i am not from law background mugging up laws is very difficult for me does anyone has a (****)sheet that i refer to or any other document/notes apart from the text book to guide me
    There's a group on Facebook called "CIPP/E study Group" which you should join. People who have passed the exam share resources and their exam experiences and are happy to answer questions. It's a great group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/cippestudygroup
  • TVictoTVicto Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ALFrankie said:

Hi all, new to this forum but the comments reallyyyy helped me when revising for my CIPP/E. I passed on the first attempt (100 / 85 /81) and did not use or buy the IAPP material (except the free BoK). While you don't need to "memorise" the first 50 articles, having a strong understanding of them is definitely necessary. I used the 2018 edition Handbook on Data Protection (by the CoE) as well as Jasper's e-book. I also did an ICAN Consultancy course on GDPR from Udemy. I believe these materials + reading the corresponding GDPR articles thoroughly should be more than enough to pass. Worth saying i do have some practical experience, although this definitely didn't help when learning all the European laws! If anyone can direct me in how to upload a word doc, I'd be happy to share some revision notes as well! Happy to answer any questions anyone has :):smile:
  • scassiorochascassiorocha Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TVicto said:
    ALFrankie said:

Hi all, new to this forum but the comments reallyyyy helped me when revising for my CIPP/E. I passed on the first attempt (100 / 85 /81) and did not use or buy the IAPP material (except the free BoK). While you don't need to "memorise" the first 50 articles, having a strong understanding of them is definitely necessary. I used the 2018 edition Handbook on Data Protection (by the CoE) as well as Jasper's e-book. I also did an ICAN Consultancy course on GDPR from Udemy. I believe these materials + reading the corresponding GDPR articles thoroughly should be more than enough to pass. Worth saying i do have some practical experience, although this definitely didn't help when learning all the European laws! If anyone can direct me in how to upload a word doc, I'd be happy to share some revision notes as well! Happy to answer any questions anyone has :):smile:
    Hello, please click on the paper icon in the toolbar above this text box where you write messages in order to upload the document.  I'm interested on it. :)

• TVictoTVicto Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TVicto said:
    ALFrankie said:

Hello, please click on the paper icon in the toolbar above this text box where you write messages in order to upload the document.  I'm interested on it. :)

I can't find it !!  I can only see to upload link or images... If u send me your email in a message im happy to share with you :)