Asking for a pay rise several months in to new job

Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All

Want some advice, preferably before tomorrow. 

I started a new job several months ago and have passed my probation recently (6months) 

Since i joined the job is now being advertised at a higher rate meaning newer staff (with less experience + certs) are being paid more than existing staff. 

People who have been in the same role as me for 2-6 yrs are actually on less then me and newer hires and they are also going to revolt soon.

Now in the last few months a few of our Tier have left or moved to another role within the company, meaning Tier 1 has been stretched to its limits, lots of the time working lone shifts (12 hrs) extra workload, more responsibility.

I am on the understanding that pay rise usually happen annually, and that asking before that time is not usually considered is that correct ?

I can say all my colleagues are very happy with my work ethic and people in other departments also feel the same. My manager has also openly said it to me in front of everyone how happy they are with me.

Now with all that said and the only thing i can say that has really changed in the time of me joining til now is that workload has risen due to lower numbers of human resources in our tier.

Do you think i would be Ok to ask for a rise in pay on that basis or should i wait out the 12 months, ? 

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The first thing I can imagine asking them is "what's in it for me?"  To ask for a raise outside the normal procedures, you REALLY have to sell yourself, depending on your relationship with your management.  If I were in your shoes, I would probably ask if I had something else lined up, just in case it went very south very quickly.  I have heard in extreme situations where someone asked for a raise and were shown the door (I'm looking at you Elon Musk).  I just say tread lightly, and if you're very serious about this, make a proposal that you can very intelligently (and respectfully) defend.  You don't want to end up out of a job that you just recently earned.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback (grounding)  

Yes i agree i have to go in strong , as in with strong defense to prove why i deserve a raise not just that i want one. I have read quiet a bit on here before about ways to ask for a raise etc i definitely wont go in and say i deserve a raise ...why ? ermmmm cos i do. ha 

i will spend a hour or so now and in the morning putting together some words on paper to memorize with points outlining my capabilites , expectations etc. I mean i am a very pleasant person at work i am very non confrontational and i think that will also come across when i ask for the raise. So HOPEFULLY!!! i wont get sacked ha. 

but saying all that do you think asking outside the scope of the year there is ok to do if i feel i am worth it ? i havnt looked what else is on offer as i am quiet happy where i am and getting the chance though rarely to interact/combine with highly intelligent network admins.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not very good at salary negotiation but I like to think that getting hired somewhere else first at a higher rate (but push the start date back) is wisest approach to this. I mean if your unhappy with your current salary, the job you're in is unacceptable, even if the work life may be pleasant.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @Mr.Robot255
    Asking for a raise may be the last thing on your mind. You should do this during your review.
    You may be a nice person but the reason they are keeping you is you are paid cheaper than the others.

Has management attempted to engage existing employees in vendor / non vendor certifications? 
    When did management pivot from the previous employee new hire mindset to the new requests?
    Is the new hire process from existing or new management?
    Is the request to have employees to have certification for accreditation or vendor preferential treatment?

Look at this from a management perspective. Take a step back and look at it from a 3rd party and see who in management is asking for these requirements and why. Paying more for new hires with less experience + certs could make the existing employees upset.  
    I think that you may be part of the last of the old tribe in your group. Sharpen your resume just in case.....