Options

Passed CompTIA PK0-004 Project+ 807/900

sensitivestoicsensitivestoic Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited November 2019 in Project+
Overview:
Passed my CompTIA Project+ PK0-004 Exam with an 807/900 today. Thought I'd share study tips and suggestions for anyone pursuing the exam:
Overall I wasn't too worried. I've had a bit (1-2 years) of small-scale project management experience and I wanted a quick foundational exam to get my feet wet during some down time around the holiday season before I pursue PMI CAPM/PMP. From what I've seen of the exam and in the field, most HR/professionals wouldn't give much credence to Project+ on its own merits. I do believe it is a quick and easy exam to build confidence with fundamentals or for anyone whose responsibilities overlap with project management but aren't the direct manager themselves. Unless you have a work subsidy for your studies or are looking for general validation as I was, I wouldn't spend the money. Just study the foundations and spend the money on the PMI project path.

Study and Test Tips:
-Check regional and local libraries to see if you can get study materials there without spending extra money
-Spent ~3 weeks studying and practicing tests with the Sybex materials listed below
-Strong recommendation to lay out the core project phases and associate project personnel to those phases. Once you have a foundational understanding of project structure it gives you a framework to latch other key concepts and materials for better study purposes.
-When taking practice exams it is important not only to know the right answer but to be able to give a good explanation about why the other choices are wrong.
-Once you are able to accomplish the prior point and score at minimum 80% or higher (shoot for 90%) on all practice quizzes/exams you should be good to go!
-Purchased exam through Get Certified 4 Less which has a great discount on most certification exams. I thought it was a gimmick, but have used it for my last two tests and at the suggestion of others here on the forums and it's a great way to save money.
-On exam day I recommend scheduling at an academic institution (ie. college etc...) that has professional testing areas. I've heard horror stories from students who simply book at the nearest building/business and have a poor outcome.
-Before the exam, make sure you get a good night sleep and have balanced food levels so you're not distracted the day of.
-When taking the exam you have 10-15 minutes before the exam starts to read instructions. Use that time to mentally relax and breathe. If you pace yourself you're more likely to thoroughly read questions and all answers. Pay attention if you're asked to make more than one answer selection. ~90 questions/90 minutes.
-Hopefully you pass and are well on your way to your next professional goal and making the industry/world a better place :)

*4/5 Stars: Overall these source materials were good and all that I used for the exam. There's a couple typos and wrong answers and I didn't like that the author for the source book was different from the author for the practice tests. They had a subtly different language or approach to projects. But overall they should get you through the exam.

Cheers,
Certs Achieved: CompTIA A+ | Net+ | Sec+ | Project+ | MCSA Windows 10
Currently Studying:
  MCSE Server 2016
Future Goals: CAPM/PMP

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :smile:
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    imnewbieimnewbie Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations