Is this a good idea?

Connor2kwikConnor2kwik Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm thinking about starting a blog involving video game news, tech news as well as other topics and I was wondering is it worth even starting one at this point?

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    What do you want to get out of it?

I don't see why not, if you're passionate about those topics.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are just doing this for yourself, then yes. Your passion will help other gamers.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    YouTube has a number of good vlogs to give some comparison as to what is and is not working in the market. Find your audience and your market niche, see where it takes you.
  • Hawk321Hawk321 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited November 2019
    Counter question:
    Is it a good idea to ask such a "off-topic" question on a board which is specialized in IT Certifications...especially from a "2 posts only" person ?

Furthermore, you give zero details of your skills nor of your project...
    Degree in
    computer science, focus on IT-Security.
    CCNA R+S and CCNA CyberOPS
    LPIC-1,LPIC-2,LPIC-3: Security
    Ubiquiti: UBRSS+UBRSA
    some other certs...

• Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    I don't ever think it's too late to start a blog, YouTube channel, etc, since I consistently find new creators that make great content. Like others have said, if you like to blog, go for it! If you want to start a blog as a means to build an online audience, but you don't really like blogging, you might be setting yourself up for failure. I actually run a cybersecurity news blog over on the Infosec website, so I've get a little bit of experience with putting it together, and even for a little blog like that, it's more work than I expected it to be. I certainly don't mean to drive you away from the idea of starting one, but it's going to take a while before you start to really build a following on it, so you need to trudge through the mud for a while! 
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm thinking about starting a blog involving video game news, tech news as well as other topics and I was wondering is it worth even starting one at this point?

Worth it in what way? YouTube Monetization? If you looking to make money, off you tube, the odds are stacked against you. Anything possible, but its getting harder and harder to do so. I believe you need to have 4000 hours of people watching your videos over the last 12 months, 30,000 subscribers to start with. You also need to maintain your subscriber base. As with anything on the internet, the early adopters made the most coin. If you have drive and passion, you can still break into the youtube show business, but your up against stiff competition. Especially in the video game arena.  
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • baghdaddy19baghdaddy19 Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do it bro, if it will make you happy. There is no downside to it
    2020 Certification Goals
    CompTIA: A+, Net+, Sec+, Cloud Essentials, and Project +
    LPI: Linux Essentials
    AXELOS: ITIL v3
    SANS GAIC: GSEC, GCIH, and GCED
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree with the others. As long as you're doing it for the right reasons- aka you are passionate about the subject- then do so. If you truly love what you're talking about then who cares if there is competition or if the corner is a bit crowded. It's the people who want to do it solely for the money who find themselves running out of gas when they're not getting enough subscribers/ followers etc. 
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited November 2019
    @Hawk321: If you look at @Connor2kwik 2 posts, they are more inquisitive than spam.
    Some people approach these boards differently based on their personalities. You are right to have your own opinion as you are look out for the others that are here.

If I feel that there is someone trying to SPAM, I will report as quick as possible. :)
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This depends on why you want to do it. If this is for yourself and an outlet for you, then go ahead. If you want to make money doing this, become a journalist or something, and gain millions of page views, you need to have a real strategy and know what you're getting into with getting people to your site and to keep coming back. This isn't easy, and even requires lots of luck. Aggregators who act as a portal to many other news sources were a *lot* easier to pop up and get popular back in the late 90's.

But if you just want to start your own blog about something, you absolutely should.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • DogstailDogstail Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A good idea,if you are interested in this,stick to it and you will succeed.
  • MeggoMeggo Registered Users Posts: 197 Admin
    As a hiring manager, I'm always looking for people who can take an idea from beginning stages to execution. I say go for it! Keep it clean and you can use it as part of your portfolio moving forward. :) 
    Director of Product Marketing at Infosec
    Who we are | What we do 
  • DogstailDogstail Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Meggo said:
    As a hiring manager, I'm always looking for people who can take an idea from beginning stages to execution.
    So.....Do you found the person you were looking for ?
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why not, if you like it do it.
  • MeggoMeggo Registered Users Posts: 197 Admin
    @Dogstail heck yeah! I'm fortunate to work with a really smart and motivated team! 
    Director of Product Marketing at Infosec
    Who we are | What we do 
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it’s worth it.  I have a few websites I run on the side.  I’ve neglected them rhe past few years and never really made more than $100/month with them, but I just made a $108 commission off one a few days ago and I still get the random Amazon Associates commission odd another one.

The more articles you have out there the more traffic you’ll get.  If you focus on creating good content, then you’ll start getting traffic from the search engines.  Don’t try to game the search engines just focus on producing quality content.
  • alleyquitalleyquit Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How can I start a YouTube Chanel? What's the benefits of it?
  • DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited March 2020
    @alleyquit

there are way better resources to consult than this certification forum on exactly how to start a YouTube channel and what the benefits are. But that aside, I’ll give you my experience. I have my personal YouTube channel that I stated by making my own gmail account(google owns YouTube). I dedicated my channel to focusing on tutorials and step by steps on how to build computers, how to set up Cisco networks and such. I have a good bit of the video recorded but I still have to edit them before I can upload. Editing is probably one of the hardest parts of the whole YouTube thing. I don’t expect to ever make money on them and probably never will. The channel I made to is help others understand computers and networks and to validate my own capabilities of doing these things when I add my channel link to my resume if employers ever take the time to look at it. That’s my immediate “benefit” of YouTube. If you’re in it to make money, you’re gonna have to look elsewhere and do some serious research on how to monetize your channel, it’s not easy. 
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If it's your passion go for it. Doing for the fun and love of it is one of the best reasons to do something. You never know how it will turn out or what unexpected fruit it will yield.
  • AlisonaAlisona Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good idea, but first make sure you're interested in this field.
  • FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Zeliac said:
    I think it's a good idea. Especially if you interested in it ;)
    Either you're heavily into forum-necrophilia, raising ancient threads from the dead... Or you're starting up a spam account...