Journey To A CCNA Cert

Drupz21Drupz21 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I have been in IT world for just over 5 years, from a server role to now a networks engineer with just over 1.5 years experience.

I have now started studying for the CCNA.

Currently using CBT Nuggets, Todd Lamme Routing & Switching and Packet Tracer.

However as the new certs are coming out in Feb, do you recommend still using the resources above? 

What other resources do you recommend in using for the new exams?

Appreciate your feedback :)

Comments

• DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Given the experience from your server and network engineer roles, I’d say it would be easier. I agree with above, and say you need to add a testing software in your studies, Boson ExSim-Max is the only one that I’ve seen that asks realistic exam questions on the same level of difficulty of the CCNA. It’s definitely worth the money. 
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration
  • Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Boson also offer the money-back guarantee if you fail the test when using the ExSim-Max practice exam:

https://www.boson.com/guarantee

I plan on using it next month to prep as well simply for this reason.
  • itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You could try the composite exam as you are running short on time. The old material will still be worthwhile but the requirements will of course change. Everyone who uses Boson recommends them as making the difference between pass and fail.
  • Drupz21Drupz21 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the comments above, I however will be sitting exam after Feb as I currently do not have as much free time till beginning of next year.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think that you should start studying for the CCNA now. You have to work at it and possibly put in more time to get the results you want.

Resources I have used:
    - Boson questions and labs
    - Cisco books. Yes I actually read these. They do have some good information, always look at errata after purchasing any manual.

Good luck!!!

• beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Simply put, Cisco is changing the exam to be more hands on, less rote memorization because of the constant availability of brain **** and abuse surrounding people abusing those materials. Its not like Cisco is rolling out a brand new never been seen before iOS or the shell is drastically changing come February 2020. Just the format is changing to reflect more hands on skill. Expect more lab type questions and fewer feature questions.

• Subnetting will always be the same.
    • Features will always be apart of any Cisco exam
    • Fewer multiple "guess" questions.
    • Harder to brain ****.
    Sounds like you have two paths. First you can buckle down, complete the exam in the remaining month before you become too busy in January and be done with it. Or two, wait a few months to take the exam after others trailblaze through the exam, post their comments on how "difficult" the exam is or isn't, perhaps wait for the next after market new CCNA exam book to lead you through everything step by step. Its still your choice.

Personally, I don't see much of a difference unless your solidly in the brain **** category, which case you shouldn't bother with the exam in the first place. The CCNA is still the solid entry level Cisco exam and will remain so for the foreseeable future. One piece of advice I always give to people starting out with certifications is that the more certs you sit through the easier the exams, no matter the subject matter, the easier certs become. Often to the point where most exams feel almost trivial after 30 or 40 exams under your belt. I say this from rote experience.

While there is nothing wrong with waiting for the next after market book to come out I will say that if you have the knowledge and experience to pass the exam without the aid of an after market book it is that much more satisfying to pass on sheer determination and knowledge. Passed both the ISSAP and HCISPP before an after market book was published and it was exhilarating to beat them both down. Took the HCISPP the first week of release but only the second attempt and pass for the exam. Really no different from the soon to be released (new) CCNA.

Dig your heels in, study up and do your labs till they are muscle memory. Until that time and you "know what you know" your only going to torture yourself and put the exam off. Been there, done that.

Study up so you don't have to torture yourself.

Good luck with the studies!

- b/eads

• Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Boson also offer the money-back guarantee if you fail the test when using the ExSim-Max practice exam:

Good luck!
  • DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Neil86 said:

Not only that, you'll qualify for a free upgrade to the new 200-301 ExSim-Max since you purchased it after June 1, 2019, when it comes out. 
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration