Finally hit the six figure mark! Still in disbelief!

ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Been almost 18 months since my last post as I have been super busy with school and work.
But I wanted to make another post regarding a tremendous opportunity that I received, that I couldn't pass up.
I am about 6 months away from finishing my BA in Cybersecurity at SNHU, and I have to say, I have loved this degree. The professors, the work, all have been great.
With that, I was able to land a position at a local refinery at $105K a year! A huge boost from the $71K I was making.
I will be helping them out with some automation processing, server management, and helping them strengthen their security focus.
I still can't believe I was able to get this job, but I constantly stated over and over the past 6 months, day in day out, "I want that six figure job". I never strayed and persisted, and it finally happened.

If any are you guys are striving for that goal of the six figure mark, NEVER stop! Master each day and soon you will have mastered the year.

Good luck to all!

ThePrimetimer
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Love hearing those stories!

Well done mate, you worked hard for it and you earned!

Keep winning
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Great work man!
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    71 to 105, that's insane! Enjoy the bump, and be sure to treat yo'self! 
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    now you'll want to get to 200k :)

Congrats
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MitM said:
    now you'll want to get to 200k :)

Congrats
    No truer words have ever been spoken.. so so true.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    congrats!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @ThePrimetimer
    Congratulations! Just remember that you want to get paid for a job you like to do. It makes it easier.
  • baghdaddy19baghdaddy19 Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow that is amazing man! Congrats!
    2020 Certification Goals
    CompTIA: A+, Net+, Sec+, Cloud Essentials, and Project +
    LPI: Linux Essentials
    AXELOS: ITIL v3
    SANS GAIC: GSEC, GCIH, and GCED
  • ChevelChevel Member Posts: 211 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was excited when I hit 75k lol I can't even imagine 6 figures.  Congrats
  • ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the kind words guys. I really appreciate it.
    Tomorrow is my first day after getting a 9 day vacation from my last job.
    Excited to start and can't wait to see what I learn.

Took a lot of work for 100k. I can't imagine what it's gonna take for 200.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What is your IT working background? Do you have any certs? Well done on the pay "bump"
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited December 2019
    While earning a 100k+ is an accomplishment, Without a location, the hitting the six figure mark may be more easily obtainable in some areas than others. For example The average salary in San Jose Ca is 77k, but in Brownsville, Texas, it's only 35k.  If the area your living in has a high cost of living, it may actually be more beneficial to be earning less in an area with a lower cost of living area. In short making the BIG BUCKS only provides a partial picture. Where I live, the COL index is 85.2, so if someday earn 100k a year, it will go a lot further than New York City which has a COL index of 238.4.  
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    I make 55k its ok in this area (Southeastern VA).  80k I'd be ecstatic.  6 figures I'd be on cloud 9. 
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited December 2019
    Chevel said:
    I make 55k its ok in this area (Southeastern VA).  80k I'd be ecstatic.  6 figures I'd be on cloud 9. 
    The selecting a random city in South East Virginia, Cost Of Living for Richmond, VA is 95.1. You also have to remember that higher salary doesn't always translate into a luxurious lifestyle, when I hit a base salary in the 90's, from the mid 70's, I thought I have plenty of disposable income, but I've found that's just not the case. The only time I seem to have a lot of extra disposable income is when my 15% yearly bonus is deposited in my account.    
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Chevel said:
    The selecting a random city in South East Virginia, Cost Of Living for Richmond, VA is 95.1. You also have to remember that higher salary doesn't always translate into a luxurious lifestyle, went I hit the 90's, from the mid 70's, I thought I have plenty of disposable income, but I've found that's just not the case. 

It's not luxurious lifestyle its the peace of mind of being able to pay for things when needed.  Instead I have to wait 2 or 3 paychecks to fix something just so I can be sure I have money left over to cover my expenses.  When I made 75K I felt like I had some breathing room to invest and save. 
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I remember getting more money and being more comfortable but I still progressed in IT / InfoSec and I still do. I keep learning and adding new skill sets are part of the key to keeping sharp.
    This is six figures in Montana. From what I have researched, it's on the upper side of doing alright.
    I guess that is why I made the post, as six figures here is a pretty good indicator of doing really  good income wise.

One a side note, I was given the blessing to get my 65 inch OLED once I graduate! I can't wait!
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No matter where you are.. 100k is an accomplishment. It's one that very few ever actually meet alone. Congrats again and have a good holiday.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulation on the pay bumps!  However, use this pay bumps to get solid saving habits.. If your lifestyle really follow your income, no matter how much you earn,you will live paycheck to paycheck.
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Nice work! @SteveLavoie speaks the truth on developing the savings habit. I've met too many people who always seem to live paycheck to paycheck regardless of their income. But aside from that, Congrats!
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited December 2019
    Congrats!

Also... what everyone else said above me. I recently got a new job with close to a 20K increase (look for my posts if you want details) and I am still living like I was 20K ago. Sure, there are times when I need something urgently to do something around the house but that is the exception, not the rule.

@ThePrimetimer Go get that! The first "me" thing I bought was an acoustic and electric guitar so I could start playing again after taking an 18 year layoff. You should treat yourself to something nice!
    This is definitely my plan. However, with this increase, there is a bit of debt hanging over our heads, that I would like to just git rid of! So gonna do what we can for a bit to get rid of that and be in a much better spot.

Congrats on the bump AvgITGeek! Only way to go is up!

Thanks for all the kind words gusy.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is definitely my plan. However, with this increase, there is a bit of debt hanging over our heads, that I would like to just git rid of! So gonna do what we can for a bit to get rid of that and be in a much better spot.

Congrats on the bump AvgITGeek! Only way to go is up!

Thanks for all the kind words gusy.
    Being debt free, is like being rich and free :) at least it is a good start