Options

Seasoned IT Pros Getting A+ Late in Career?

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am hoping to get some feedback on how much time folks have spent studying for the A+ exams if they have significant experience in IT and have dealt with hardware (10+ years).  I find myself in a position of needing to get the certification as I am going to start mentoring folks that will be working towards it.

I have never attempted to even go through the materials in the past, but have built plenty of PCs and worked in enterprise environments installing servers/workstations and doing hardware maintenance.  It has all been fairly intuitive for me and I research for compatibility requirements.

My first IT exam was Network+ so I am vaguely familiar with them, but that was 17 years ago.
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I got mine in 1999, after 5 years working in the field. At that time, it was extremely easy. Read the Exam Cram book to fill in the gaps (laser printers, etc.). I'd just grab a book like that (I hear Mike Meyers has a good one) and just read through it for a refresher and to fill in any gaps. But it's designed for people with ~6 months experience. If you've got more than that and know what you're doing, it shouldn't be too difficult. If you're mentoring others, you should go through some of the materials to know what to recommend, what not to recommend, etc.. 

I don't think you'll have any problems whatsoever with the exam. It's the reasoning for taking it that I'd put a little more time and effort into it. See how your study efforts relate to the actual exam. You're not just going to pass it, you're going in to learn how to help others pass it. I think that brings a different approach. 

Good luck! 
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @powerfool
    You are dusting off some cobwebs....
    https://www.comptia.org/landing/aplus-1/index.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgaHi68WX5gIVDtvACh1jpwprEAAYBCAAEgKDV_D_BwE
    Both exams are 90 minutes with a maximum of 90 questions... 1 minute per question. 
    Multiple guess, drag and drop, performance based.

I would think that you know your stuff but you have to know the CompTia way to answer the questions. Bone up on the OS's:
    Windows, iOS, Android, Apple OS X and Linux. It may be hard if you don't use them every day.
    I would guess: Mike Meyers All In One, Boson questions, and the Professor Messer videos would help you fill any gaps. You could probably do it in a month.

Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    powerfool said:

My first IT exam was Network+ so I am vaguely familiar with them, but that was 17 years ago.
    When I took my A+ & Network+ exams in 2003, I had a good Ten years experience under my belt by than, I found i knew about half of the material before any studying. I've seen some of the practice questions on the new exams, they go into things like Customer service questions, something in my opinion should not be on a technical exam.  
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it may be a part to develop soft skills that some people just do not possess. This is why I type things out instead of talking to people... LOL :)
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @PC509 I think you're spot on about the intent.  It isn't for me to pass the exam, that is just an incidental aspect of this, it is for me to help others.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're just doing it to mentor you should be able to whip through the material rather quickly.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP