Options

PMI CAPM/PMP or MCSE Server 2016/2019?

sensitivestoicsensitivestoic Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited December 2019 in General Certification
Looking ahead to 2020 I am wanting to pursue PMI CAPM/PMP or Microsoft MCSE Server 2016/2019. However, after working hard the last couple of years to self study and complete a foundational series of certifications- (ie. CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, and MCSA Windows 10)- I am at the point where it is much more difficult to complete these certifications on my own. Long-term I want to pursue a role that works in Systems Administration, Project Management, or general IT Consultation. I want to complete an IT related masters degree within the next 5 years, but am not sure on which cert to pursue next- PMI or Microsoft Server.
Microsoft Server path is noted as being more challenging than what I have completed in the past and many forum members seem to suggest that it requires significant hands on or labbing. Furthermore, with Server 2019 on the horizon I am wondering if it would be better to pursue the PMI path while I get more hands on server experience.
PMI Project Management path is fresh on my mind because I just completed CompTIA Project+ and am tempted to finish the track. However, both the CAPM and PMP list educational requirements as a pre-requisite that can't be achieved through self-study. Both the server and project management path seem to require additional lab or educational requirements that I'd like to combine with my future goal of a graduate degree.
What are your thoughts and recommendations for what I should pursue and what is the best way to combine these educational requirements so I'm not needlessly spending hundreds of dollars.Thanks!
Certs Achieved: CompTIA A+ | Net+ | Sec+ | Project+ | MCSA Windows 10
Currently Studying:
  MCSE Server 2016
Future Goals: CAPM/PMP

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    MunkinMunkin Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would suggest you get the hands on experience of Server but focus your study on college. Formal education is something that does not expire.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited December 2019
    I did A+, Network+, Security+, then CAPM. I used a grad school project management class as the prereq.
    CAPM was the least useful cert I've obtained. I'm not a PM and other than landing a job interview once, it wasn't worth the cash out of pocket.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP