Passed PenTest+ 798/900

Y3llowMustangY3llowMustang Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
edited September 2019 in PenTest+
Hello everyone, I've been lurking this site for a while now and figured I'd make an account. Today I passed PenTest+ after about a month and half of study time. I scored a 798/900, I was hoping to do better than this but the simulation questions on this exam are insane. The multiple choice questions easy as hell if you know your stuff. 

I think my next certification will be C|EH, should probably get something other than CompTIA....

Comments

• mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats this one is on my radar. I think CEH will be easy after taking  Pentest+, well that's what I've gathered.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited September 2019
    Congrats! I'm curious...what study materials did you use for PenTest+ and what sort of background did you bring to it?

Also, I notice you have CASP. How did that compare to PenTest+ as far as material or difficulty? I have a colleague who's been looking at CASP, and I don't have much context on it at the moment.

Also, if I may, I'd honestly steer you away from CEH unless you have a need to get it. Maybe it's time for something more ambitious? :)

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Y3llowMustangY3llowMustang Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LonerVamp said:
    Congrats! I'm curious...what study materials did you use for PenTest+ and what sort of background did you bring to it?

Also, I notice you have CASP. How did that compare to PenTest+ as far as material or difficulty? I have a colleague who's been looking at CASP, and I don't have much context on it at the moment.

Also, if I may, I'd honestly steer you away from CEH unless you have a need to get it. Maybe it's time for something more ambitious? :)
    I've been an Information Technology in the army for 4 years in a systems administrator role, so I would say my experience didn't help me with the exam. As for resources, I've been rooting the easy boxes on HackTheBox.eu, Ippsec's youtube walkthroughs, and a couple of books:
    CompTIA PenTest+ Certification Practice Exams (Exam PT0-001) by  Jonathan Ammerman
    CompTIA PenTest+ Practice Tests: Exam PT0-001 by Crystal Panek, Robb Tracy
    CompTIA PenTest+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide (Exam PT0-001) by Ray Nutting
    Unfortunately some of these questions in the book are word for word what's on the test. 

The CASP+ multiple choice questions were much more difficult than the PenTest+ questions. The questions in CASP+ is like a paragraph of bullshit you have to dig through to find the answer. The questions on the PenTest+ were one sentence and if you knew it you knew it and if not you try your best guess. The PenTest+ performance based questions were much harder than the CASP+ performance based, however, and I had 5 of them. 

My current cert plan is C|EH -> eJPT -> OSCP -> ??? 
    I've heard the C|EH opens a lot of doors and that it's basically a vocabulary test, so I figured I'd snag it before I jump into these lab based certifications. 
  • Y3llowMustangY3llowMustang Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mizterkewl said:
    Congrats this one is on my radar. I think CEH will be easy after taking  Pentest+, well that's what I've gathered.
    Yeah I've heard similar things about it also. I'm only planning on studying for maybe 2 weeks then taking it. 
  • mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mizterkewl said:
    Yeah I've heard similar things about it also. I'm only planning on studying for maybe 2 weeks then taking it. 
    Yeah I got to take CEH for school. So I figured use some of the PenTest material for overlap then take an extra week or so to get PenTest+ once I pass CEH...well that's how i'm thinking it will workout lol.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since you're active in the military (or recently have been), I would actually say CEH could be useful to you for further gov work. And I think you'll find it easy and a little infuriating. :)

Honestly, if you're doing easy boxes on HTB and are comfortable on Kali Linux, you could conceivably skip eJPT and jump straight to OSCP. That said, if you're in no hurry and want the continued more structured training, eJPT sounds solid. :)

Good stuff man, thanks for the details!

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited December 2019
    So I think I am going to take the Pentest+ soon, to get some CPEs and renew other certs. Is there a lot on powershell? 
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @Y3llowMustang
    What resources did you find best for this exam?
  • ejg398ejg398 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats @Y3llowMustang This one is on my list in the next few weeks.