SEC560-Bought

GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
A payment of $5,430.00 for your SANS OnDemand order (ONDEMAND-11111111), has been received.

Your order status is now PAID.

If you have any questions about your payment please contact ...

Thank You,
SANS Institute

Payment Details:

Total Amount: $5,430.00

Just bought the 560 as promised. I think this will be the last if not one of the last certs for a while. I'll just stick to perfecting my craft, whatever that is. I need a break. I need to enjoy LIFE. Gone back into hiding now. I'll log back in one day. I applied to 4 WorkStudies in 4 different countries and have yet to be accepted to either. All of them start in the near future or have started. So I think one of you work for SANS!!! I will have to switch up my tactics. I have to be more like the Kryptos....

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck, did you purchase the live course or OnDemand?
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought the price was $5,910, how did you get a $480 discount?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I thought the price was $5,910, how did you get a $480 discount?

Mr. Gadget,

Inspector Gadget please, no you tell me how my total came to that amount . Why don't you buy one like I just did and tell me what your total is.icon_rolleyes.gif. When you screenshot your total I will screenshot my total. Until then I am going to read the bible and take a nap.

Have a great day GoGo Gadget Inspector

Cheers,

Girlygirl
    Good luck, did you purchase the live course or OnDemand?

OnDemand Sir. It's the more convenient with my schedule. I prefer OnDemand, unless I am really trying to get out of work or get another WorkStudy.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't work for SANS, BUT...you DO need to get in on the Work Study stuff early, and have some certs to put you ahead on that list. Not sure what your resume entailed, but I'm sure you probably have a lot. Yes, the SANS courses are a bit addictive. Here in the US, you can use some of the courses and get a tax-deduction if it's relates to your job. Good Luck!
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There's plenty in SEC560 to keep you busy for awhile. Take each tool Ed mentions and learn how to use it and you're good for a year's worth of work.
    There's plenty in SEC560 to keep you busy for awhile. Take each tool Ed mentions and learn how to use it and you're good for a year's worth of work.

I like the new layout of the OnDemand series for this course. It has the introduction, a brief about Mr. Skoudis, and a lot of helpful FYI type of information. I don't remember ever seeing this in previous courses. What I like most about it is the time the course takes to complete. Truth be told I don't remember "everything" from two SANS courses ago. Like I wrote, I am going to stop getting certifications this year. I am done. I am just going to recertify. Like you said work that'll last me a year. For people who do multiple SANS trainings that means they are set for a while. I think I am getting over my head. I am over my head.
    kiki162 wrote: »
    I don't work for SANS, BUT...you DO need to get in on the Work Study stuff early, and have some certs to put you ahead on that list. Not sure what your resume entailed, but I'm sure you probably have a lot icon_rolleyes.gif. Yes, the SANS courses are a bit addictive. Here in the US, you can use some of the courses and get a tax-deduction if it's relates to your job. Good Luck!
    Negative ghost rider. I am not sure where you got that theory from. I facilitated a few months ago and we were short. I applied and was accepted like 4 days later, several weeks out. A month max. The last few days people from techexams have really been doubting my accomplishments and tactics. If the wager was worth it I would post emails. I am more of a strategic player with SANS. Like I mentioned one place before I don't need another SANS training. Not including what I am already studying for, another GIAC certifications is not going to make that big of a difference if any to my resume. If you have a GIAC Malware certification and a GIAC Penetration Testing certification what does that mean if you are a Vulnerability Analyst. Whatever cert you have is only applicable to the job you have, or maybe even your future job. Having GPEN and all your doing is clicking start scan from ACAS is not benefiting you.

I think certs need to be relative to the job or the next job. It's people on this forum that didn't have any GIAC certifications and were selected for Work Study. One that I know of, so I exaggerated a bit. I think it was NetworkNewb. I don't know he changes his pic and name every 30 days Lol I am not sure if you've ever facilitated or even applied. But I will tell you that the selection for Work Study isn't solely based on a GIAC certification. A prior GIAC certification is like 3 or 4 on the list. Yes, it puts you ahead on the list if the other 3-4 qualifications aren't met prior, yes. We have to state facts. If we aren't talking what's in black and white we aren't talking. I pick different countries for a reason dear lad. You said here in the U.S. Now I have to do a SANS California just to throw you off a bit. Trust me dear lad, none of the countries I've applied to or facilitated at I live in. Trust me. Just because I make the financial obligations that most aren't willing to make doesn't mean I live in this place or that one. I might live in the same city as you. icon_twisted.gif
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Good luck, this course is definitely on my to-do list
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• c5rookiec5rookie Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Enjoy the 560 content! I took the Community version with Jeff McJunkin and had a great time last year. I stare at an ArcSight feed most of the day and was glad to do something different. It's the only SANS course that I revisit the books and stand alone labs so that I can stay semi-fresh on certain topics. If only I could convince my company to pay for NetWars Continuous... icon_cool.gif
    c5rookie wrote: »
    Enjoy the 560 content! I took the Community version with Jeff McJunkin and had a great time last year. I stare at an ArcSight feed most of the day and was glad to do something different. It's the only SANS course that I revisit the books and stand alone labs so that I can stay semi-fresh on certain topics. If only I could convince my company to pay for NetWars Continuous... icon_cool.gif

I worked for HP for a period of time. I am all to familiar with ArcSight. You can make over 100K in Northern Virginia/DC any day of the week, including Sundays. I was an ArcSight Engineer without ArcSight experience. It was one of those we have a big project coming up and need people..we will train you types of deals.The name looks good on the resume and experience but it wasn't exactly where I wanted to go in my career. I would work for them again though. Till the day, it's the only place I have ever worked that had a full cafeteria down stairs, atm machine, bank, gym, and FedEx all in one building. Don't quote me on the FedEx but it was one of them. And the gym wasn't impressive but it was a gym.

The course definitely has a lot of material. A lot. It's impossible to remember every tool and every command. I like the course though. Whenever I create my index I see that the list of commands is going to be huge! I have been using Mac for years. I've had HP and Dell laptops and was utterly disappointed. The reason is being I wasn't paying MacBook prices for a HP/Dell computer nobody does that. Now with this course I am looking at bitting the bullet and buying a nice HP/Dell computer. The HP Spectrex360 is what I am looking at. I could settle for the 13 inch, since the 15 inch isn't out yet. With the enormous amount of Windows commands I need a good Windows machine. This Windows VM I have on my MAC is good but it's not great. I need greatness! Next month I think I'll make that investment. I need to actually use the machine, see how fast "lightning fast" it is.

I plan on taking the exam next month. I have a lot of free time on my shift and a vacation coming up. Which equals more free time. I know people who take the course in one week and take the exam the next week. So people taking 2-4 months to take an exam is something I don't understand when it's 24hrs in a day. My attention span decreases after a few months. I don't even remember what I ate for breakfast 5 weeks ago.

I was on twitter on an instructors page looking at peoples NetWars scores yesterday coincidently enough. Before I made that financial investment I would have to work on bettering myself first. Some of these people in the tournaments aren't exactly newbies at this. Someone launched a zero-day exploit at the SANS Holiday Challenge. An instructor said they could have gotten paid for that zero-day lol. SO I know what I am up against. icon_redface.gif. I am not paying $1,520 for "fun". Fun is going somewhere sitting on a beach or something. Going to a foreign country is fun. I would only pay $1,520 if I thought in my head for a second I could win.

I do hope that 2017 is promising and you get in.
    kiki162 wrote: »
    Here in the US, you can use some of the courses and get a tax-deduction if it's relates to your job. Good Luck!

The limit of what you can write off for educations expenses is $4,000 a year, and you need to earn less than 80k single or 160k married. Being married with our combined income, we easily will make more than 160k this year. I think most single professionals in the Cyber Security field that can afford to pay for a SAN course will also have income ranges exceeding 80k.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I think most single professionals in the Cyber Security field that can afford to pay for a SAN course will also have income ranges exceeding 80k.
    Yes, but what will the resulting ROI be for having spent that money? If it guarantees a job, position, promotion, or notoriety that you need then it is well worth it. Otherwise, it's hard to justify that kind of money for a SANS course/GIAC cert regardless if you can afford it or not.

But who am I to talk? Where is docrice on this subject? :D
    I could say the same for vehicles and homes. Does someone need a 40K car? Does someone need a 3000 sq ft house? Or is it just because they can "afford it". Does someone need 3-5 bedrooms. Does someone need an acre of land or more. Does someone need to eat lobster. Does someone need the Apple iPhone 7 when the iPhone 4 works just fine.

I digress... I think you get the point. Humans buy things just because they can afford them. Right or wrong. Floyd Mayweather could drive around in a 1994 Honda Accord. But, he can afford not to. Am I mad at him for that? No. I could care less. Do I care what someone spends money on that's not mine? No not at all.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    A house and land (and some cars) are investments. They can appreciate in value and be sold for a profit. To do this, you need to be smart about when and what to buy and when to sell.

A training class and certification can also be an investment in yourself. It can result in increased income or some intangible benefit (e.g., fame, self-promotion). To do this, you need to be smart about why you are spending the money and the likelihood that you will profit from doing so.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Yes, but what will the resulting ROI be for having spent that money? If it guarantees a job, position, promotion, or notoriety that you need then it is well worth it.

I never suggested paying for a SANS course was a bad investment, just that trying to use it as a tax write-off is of no benefit when your already working in Cyber Security earning good wages already. It might be worth the investment if your not in cyber security, but 6 grand is a considerable investment for most people with no guarantee of a pay-off. I guess the same could be said about college.
  • LWB250LWB250 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can confirm that having certs (GIAC, at least) isn't a requirement for a SANS Work Study assignment. I got my first one last year before I had any GIAC certs. I was told by other WS participants with far more experience that once you're a legacy you have a much better chance of being selected again. I hope!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I've been told the order is:
    - instructor requests for a specific person
    - STI students
    - work study alumni
    - work study newcomers
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks cyberguypr !!!

It was odd. I was picked to facilitate because I was a SANS newb. I was told by the person who picked me.
    There was great teamwork when facilitating and setting up the classes. It was nice to have some of the SANS guys test the cables after we ran them to maker sure there were no issues for the students. I can now say that I have mastered Gaff(ers) tape at a SANS conference as others before me.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    STI students no longer applies and hadn't in about a year. I was going to sign up for the Masters but was told they don't allow students to work study the courses anymore due to the requirements of regional accreditation. I don't know if that's BS or they want to pull full price for the courses. But that's what I was told.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    STI students no longer applies and hadn't in about a year. I was going to sign up for the Masters but was told they don't allow students to work study the courses anymore due to the requirements of regional accreditation. I don't know if that's BS or they want to pull full price for the courses. But that's what I was told.

+1

I've been in the STI program for over a year now, and I've been told that STI students are not permitted to do work study.
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    c5rookie said:
    @c5rookie Did you enjoy Jeff McJunkin ? Is he really good?