Options

Cybersecurity Weekly: Gas pump hidden cameras, insecure smart TVs, ransomware recovery

Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
edited December 2019 in Security News & Breaches
Hidden cameras found at gas station pumps in conjunction with card skimmers. The FBI warns consumers about security issues in smart TVs. The State of Louisiana prevents any data loss and pays no ransom in a recent ransomware attack. All this, and more, in this week’s edition of Cybersecurity Weekly.

1. Hidden camera above Bluetooth pump skimmer

Tiny hidden spy cameras are a common sight at tampered ATMs with card skimmers. Now, these hidden cameras are appearing at gas pumps along with Bluetooth-based card skimming devices. Although the PIN pads at gas pumps are encrypted, these cameras can capture video of the person entering the PIN, much like shoulder surfing.
Read more »

2. FBI warning: Your smart TV might not be secure

With the rise in TV sales around the holiday season, the FBI issued a warning about new smart TVs that include built-in webcams and microphones. Aside from purchasing a new TV, the bureau advised consumers to put tape over their TV’s webcam and to keep the device up-to-date with the latest patches.
Read more »

3. Cyberattack hit 10% of Louisiana's state government servers

One in ten of Louisiana’s 5,000 state government servers were damaged by last week’s cyberattack, according to a key technology official. Louisiana’s deputy chief information officer said the ransomware attack wasn’t catastrophic to state government. No data was lost, and no ransom was paid.
Read more »

For more stories like these, check out the blog »

Community Manager at Infosec!
Who we are | What we do

Comments

• Options
    DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I understand about smartTVs not being secure. I noticed my vizio smart TV had a major software flaw in that, whenever you have to reconnect it to the WiFi or if you have to get a new AP which was what I did when my old AP gave out.

The TV would broadcast its own SSID when connected to the WiFi and you can connect to the internet through the Vizios SSID, completely unsecured. It only broadcasts for 30 minutes and then hides its SSID. There is no way to turn this off in the TVs configuration or even apply a password to the TV’s SSID. Nor is there any patch for this as far as I know, and Vizio is aware of the problem. So My next tv purchase will not be a Vizio that’s for sure. 
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration
  • Options
    Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    I totally agree with you - some of these smart TVs are getting ridiculously sloppy when it comes to security. Call me an old geezer, but I really don't see what's so bad about just using a non-smart TV with a Roku/Apple TV/Fire Stick.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're in Texas, you can report suspected skimmers here: https://ga.tdlr.texas.gov:1443/form/motorfuel
  • Options
    jtking10jtking10 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have heard that there is an app that is effective in detecting skimmers (using Bluetooth).  Is it worth downloading another risky app to your phone or more effective (and safe) to simply use the Bluetooth on your smart phone to scan for odd labeled devices?