For anyone that works as or for a Chief Privacy Officer

E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
After hearing about me from a colleague, I was contacted by someone from my employer's Compliance team about an opportunity. The talk went well and now the CPO wants to meet, but I have not seen a job description yet. I am curious to hear from someone working in compliance/privacy to see what your day-to-day is like. I have spent all of my career in technical roles (NOC, SOC, etc) so I would love to hear from someone with a similar background that made the transition. 
Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    My team consults heavily in this area.
    Those titles vary a lot. I've seen Chief privacy officer as a one-person role, and I've seen small teams too (in big banks).

Since you're in Europe, the GDPR is a big deal. Organisations need to be ready to respond in time and the fines are hefty, so I can see the demand increasing. You need to be very comfortable with everything that's GDPR (plenty of courses online)

The day to day can have things like, reviewing the privacy policy of the organisation, rewriting them, work with the data teams on their information classification, making sure due diligence is done whenever there is personal data involved. Depending on the size of the organisation, your time might be spent working with different projects teams to ensure they handle private data well, doing privacy assessments on data in applications, surveys, etc.

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks UnixGuy! I plan to meet with the CPO on Thursday next week so I will definitely be coming to you for some more feedback after that. I am not in need of another job, but open to see what can come of this. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Sounds exciting!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Keep us posted. Privacy is a growing field, I'm curious to see how it develops out, particularly if it just goes beyond the DPO role.