Would you work at Facebook?

CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've been approached by them in relation to an IR role. Salary is substantially more than my current. Benefits are incredibly good, free food all day with 3x meals, paid commute, medical dental etc...

My one issue is I've always been quite negative about Mark Zuckerberg... Well mainly in the last two years. 

Their Glassdoor reviews are excellent. Most employees very very happy. 

I don't use Facebook.com but I do use their other products like whatsapp, insta. 

Would you have any reservations?  
My Aims
2017: OSCP -
COMPLETED
2018: CISSP -
COMPLETED
2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
COMPLETED
           GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
2022: OSWE (hopefully)

Comments

• bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @CyberCop123

At the end of the day, you have to like what you do and your job. If you don't like Mark Zukerberg this could be the nail in the coffin.
    If you work at Facebook and do't use it, you are not drinking the kool-aid. The company may look down on you for not using it often.

Good Luck!
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've been approached by them in relation to an IR role. Salary is substantially more than my current. Benefits are incredibly good, free food all day with 3x meals, paid commute, medical dental etc...

My one issue is I've always been quite negative about Mark Zuckerberg... Well mainly in the last two years. 

I don't use Facebook.com but I do use their other products like whatsapp, insta. 

Sounds like a great job. Looks like you have developed a strong opinion about Mark Zuckerberg based on what the media is showing you. Unless I am mistaken and you personally know him :) 

Good luck on your decision. Seems like an amazing opportunity, sucks you hold certain beliefs about Mark. 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nope, zero reservations here.   Would just depend if I like the job duties and team I work with.  

I got a feeling you're not going to be dealing with Mark directly too often. 
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited November 2019
    Nope, zero reservations here.   Would just depend if I like the job duties and team I work with.  

Mark would know if @C@CyberCop123 liked him or not! :)
  • CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bigdogz said:
    @CyberCop123

At the end of the day, you have to like what you do and your job. If you don't like Mark Zukerberg this could be the nail in the coffin.
    If you work at Facebook and do't use it, you are not drinking the kool-aid. The company may look down on you for not using it often.

Good Luck!

I do use Facebook but never post other than in a private group which I formed due to an issue in the local area.  I don't post pictures or even have any on there.  

chrisone said:
    Sounds like a great job. Looks like you have developed a strong opinion about Mark Zuckerberg based on what the media is showing you. Unless I am mistaken and you personally know him :) 

Good luck on your decision. Seems like an amazing opportunity, sucks you hold certain beliefs about Mark. 

bigdogz said:

Mark would know if @C@CyberCop123 liked him or not! :)

You guys are right, I don't know Mark personally haha

I should be more clear, it's not like I don't like him but I just question what Facebook are trying to do, such as with the whole Cambridge Analytica thing, and some of his responses in the hearings I have seen on TV.  It just didn't fill me with confidence and made me question their ethics.

I have always been attracted to companies like Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc.. as they seem so ambitious.  

Not ruling anything out at the moment 
    My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It's really from a personal standpoint, a job is a job. Whether you agree what the vision of the company and how they get there is a different story. It's a massive data mining company. Every company has their kool-aid but whether like it is up to you. You might be able to browse websites like Blind to get a feel for the company but I'd recommend to take it with a grain of salt. The interesting part about the role is that you're going to be interacting with a large tech enterprise which is a big plus. From what I've heard through a tech group that I am in,  every tech company is team dependent. Some teams are great, others are down right terrible. 
  • scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Go for it, sounds like an excellent opportunity where you can further develop your skill set and career. Benefits look good, money and career prospects look good and if this is the role you crave I say take it. You may even be presenting something important to Mark and find he’s a great guy, you never know :).
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
    scasc said:
    Go for it, sounds like an excellent opportunity where you can further develop your skill set and career. Benefits look good, money and career prospects look good and if this is the role you crave I say take it. You may even be presenting something important to Mark and find he’s a great guy, you never know :).
    Thanks!

P.S. I have never seen so many certifications ... it's like you've just listed the alphabet in a random order  :D
    My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Haha. Yeh I think I need to retire from certs, wife thinks so anyway. 
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
  • MrsWilliamsMrsWilliams Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2019

I think you are thinking too much about it.

If we knew the political and religious beliefs are C Level employees in our companies we MIGHT not want to work for them.

Facebook has way too many employees. If you walked passed Mark Zuckerberg in Walmart he wouldn't know you from a grain of sand on the beach. I don't think how someone runs a business and mistakes they've made can prevent me from accepting a job. Most companies have been compromised. Are you going to say NO I am not giving out my SSN and DOB to HR or your supervisors at work because they had a breach 24 months ago?

1. Nobody is perfect.
    2. You haven't had 1 of the 1,000 interviews. 

Not using the Facebook App but using other apps they own..is like saying I won't eat a cheeseburger from McDonalds because they had an outbreak of Salmonella poisoning, but I'll eat a hamburger LOL  :D  :D:D

To answer your question, I wouldn't have any reservations.

In addition, I've been contacted by recruiters and did interviews for a whole lot of positions that I never got. . . 

I think you are thinking too much about it.

If we knew the political and religious beliefs are C Level employees in our companies we MIGHT not want to work for them.

Facebook has way too many employees. If you walked passed Mark Zuckerberg in Walmart he wouldn't know you from a grain of sand on the beach. I don't think how someone runs a business and mistakes they've made can prevent me from accepting a job. Most companies have been compromised. Are you going to say NO I am not giving out my SSN and DOB to HR or your supervisors at work because they had a breach 24 months ago?

1. Nobody is perfect.
    2. You haven't had 1 of the 1,000 interviews. 

Not using the Facebook App but using other apps they own..is like saying I won't eat a cheeseburger from McDonalds because they had an outbreak of Salmonella poisoning, but I'll eat a hamburger LOL  :D  :D:D

To answer your question, I wouldn't have any reservations.

In addition, I've been contacted by recruiters and did interviews for a whole lot of positions that I never got. . . 

Haha excellent post!  I particularly like the analogy involving the McDonald's cheeseburger.

BTW my reason for not using FB app isn't about privacy. I just think it's terrible. I have an account that I use occasionally for professional reasons and all I see is adverts and memes from 15 years ago. It's outdated now and past its best. Instagram is excellent though and so is WhatsApp. 

You're right about the interview. I may not get it or even do well. Its just me thinking ahead of the "what if".. Particularly as I've been offered two jobs from other companies after interviewing and I turned them down so was reluctant to do that again.

My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The best opportunities are almost always found outside your comfort zone.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Take the job. I can guarantee your day to day job will have nothing to do with Mark Zuckerberg ;)

It can be the opportunity of a life time, think where this job can take you in 2~3 years
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□

So you would turn down a good job because you think the CEO is a Ahole? Would you turn down a federal government job because Trump is president? Would you quit your job because the new CEO or president is an Ahole? Unless your interviewing for a VP position, where you would be in close contact with the CEO on a daily bases, what does it matter? I could see a very small employer where there are so few employers the Big Boss works in same building as you, and he's a real Ahole you can't stand to be around, but in a large organization, chances are you will never see the CEO ever. I never saw my companies CEO, I've never interacted with anyone higher than a VP.    
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2019
    @CyberCop123 -

Another view (for any occupation) is whether you support the mission/vision/values of the company. If you're the praying type, ask yourself if you could you pray for the company's success. By those criteria, you might not want to work at a Big Tobacco company. Or you might. There could be ethical considerations - positive or negative - in working for one of the Big Five (Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft). 

This line of reasoning is a luxury some people won't have, and it may not be valid by some standards. It definitely requires additional investigation and reflection on your part, but has helped me as I've considered jobs over the years.

Best wishes as you sort it all out!
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One word - Never
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Probably consulting or contract job, but not in-house. 
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration

So you would turn down a good job because you think the CEO is a Ahole? Would you turn down a federal government job because Trump is president? Would you quit your job because the new CEO or president is an Ahole? Unless your interviewing for a VP position, where you would be in close contact with the CEO on a daily bases, what does it matter? I could see a very small employer where there are so few employers the Big Boss works in same building as you, and he's a real Ahole you can't stand to be around, but in a large organization, chances are you will never see the CEO ever. I never saw my companies CEO, I've never interacted with anyone higher than a VP.    

I didn't describe Zuckerberg as an **** or anything derogatory like that.  What I said was that some of the recent publicity with Facebook (as a company) and Zuckerberg had left quite a negative impression on me.  It's important to me that I am passionate and aligned with the ethics and motivation of the company.  

I do understand your point though - and it's a good point you make.

xagreus said:
    @CyberCop123 -

Another view (for any occupation) is whether you support the mission/vision/values of the company. If you're the praying type, ask yourself if you could you pray for the company's success. By those criteria, you might not want to work at a Big Tobacco company. Or you might. There could be ethical considerations - positive or negative - in working for one of the Big Five (Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft). 

This line of reasoning is a luxury some people won't have, and it may not be valid by some standards. It definitely requires additional investigation and reflection on your part, but has helped me as I've considered jobs over the years.

Best wishes as you sort it all out!

Thanks for your views - very interesting!  

shochan said:
    One word - Never

Why is that out of interest?

DFTK13 said:
    Probably consulting or contract job, but not in-house. 

Same as above, why?

My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

Btw, just to re-iterate, I have only been approached and asked to interview.  As I said before I think, I may be completely wrong for the job, I may screw the interview up, I may hate it or love it.... I am just thinking out loud at this stage.

I have also been approached for a Senior Manager position with KPMG 
    My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

@CyberCop123

Office rules/politics, location, expectations of employees. I’d rather do consulting or contract work for anyone, I’ve seen and experienced working in house and I’d rather not. 
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

• Hawk321Hawk321 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited November 2019
    Work at facebook ?

Only to do sudo rm -rdf / on each server !!!

Don't get fooled by glassdoor ratings...my experience is, most of them are fake or dishonest. My last employer has 9 of 9 positive ratings ... I would rate him absolutely negative (cuz he is a lying ****), anyway, in my contract stand it is forbidden to write such reviews...any questions now about the seriousness ???

Beside that, facebook is and was used by terrorists, they collect a huge amount of data more than the STASI in Eastern Germany ... SCREW FACEBOOK

Degree in
    computer science, focus on IT-Security.
    CCNA R+S and CCNA CyberOPS
    LPIC-1,LPIC-2,LPIC-3: Security
    Ubiquiti: UBRSS+UBRSA
    some other certs...

Yeah, it’s just, it’s not great both ways...on one hand large companies have no time to get to know the employees so they’re just a number...a worker drone, unless you’re in the inner circle or close to it, you are expendable. Small businesses, especially family owned ones are Not much better but in my experience they tend to be limited in how far you can move up, have no benefits, the only upside is you can talk to the boss personally. So I’d rather just have a short term contract, but I would be open to working in house if coworkers and boss were professional and cordial and had decent pay and benefits. 

• baghdaddy19baghdaddy19 Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Seems like a good opportunity honestly, as long as you don't have any moral objections. Think of it as a stepping stone. Work their for a few years and you'll be able to work anywhere.
    2020 Certification Goals
    CompTIA: A+, Net+, Sec+, Cloud Essentials, and Project +
    LPI: Linux Essentials
    AXELOS: ITIL v3
    SANS GAIC: GSEC, GCIH, and GCED
    Thanks everyone. Some really interesting views. 

I have a few opportunities 

1) Microsoft incident response. I'm most interested in this one

2) KPMG Senior Manager of Incident Response

3) Accenture - Manager of Incident Response

Will see how things develop over the next few weeks 
    My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• Pmorgan2Pmorgan2 Member Posts: 116 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In a perfect world I would not work for Facebook because I don't care about the "mission". I don't care to aide in the monetization of people's privacy.
    However, if I were desperate or they'd offer me 300% of my current pay, I may consider it. Facebook does provide some services that people seem to enjoy. I could convince myself that its fulfilling enough to know I'm making people's use of Facebook more secure.
    2021 Goals: WGU BSCSIA, CEH, CHFI | 2022 Goals: WGU MSCSIA, AWS SAA, AWS Security Specialist
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @ cybercop ~ shady business practices, lack thereof security and privacy...they obviously never took it seriously...I see you took them off your list :)
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    @CyberCop123 you've got solid jobs lined up, and you got awesome certs too.

Great things coming your way!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• redfoot12redfoot12 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I currently work as a contractor for a Big Tobacco firm and I understand where the OP is coming from. I try to envision myself as a full-time employee there and just can't see it realistically. My contract just got extended another three months through March but it's highly likely I start looking for something else once I get to January.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's cool though. Considering the big tech companies have a low average worker age, that's even more impressive. The average age of a worker at Facebook is 28 so if you are older than that, even more kudos. And as others point out, perks at these big SV tech companies can be sensational. Good luck if you decide to go forward with it.
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy said:
    Take the job. I can guarantee your day to day job will have nothing to do with Mark Zuckerberg ;)

It can be the opportunity of a life time, think where this job can take you in 2~3 years

exactly! its and ends to to a means in the longterm and helps you standout from the crowd