I'm certified in the Cyber Dark Arts!

tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
Does that make me a Cyber Dark Artist? Cyber Dark Artisan?

This is a real thing courtesy of https://fedvte.usalearning.gov/

Comments

• LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That sounds...dark.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    what spells did you learn??
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    are you as bored as I am?  I should go check that out tonight...
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No. Dark Arts..... I think you can graduate at Hogwarts!! LOL
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From the course description:

Cyber Dark Arts highlights ‘dark’ or deceptive activities that are employed by malicious users via the Internet. Several legitimate purpose technologies and techniques and how they are leveraged, or manipulated for fraudulent purposes, is discussed. Threats from topics such as zero-day attacks, dark web, alternate OSs, VPN/TOR, weaponized psychology, and anonymous services will be detailed, as well as methods for concealing one’s identity. These methods are taught in order for cybersecurity experts to defend against such attacks. The course includes reinforcing video demonstrations.

Learning Objectives:

• Explain several techniques for obfuscating online activities
    • List examples of technologies leveraged for deceptive purposes
    • Detail best practices for prevention and protection from malicious cyber activities
    NICCS Specialty Areas:
    • Collect and Operate: Cyber Operations
    • Operate and Maintain: Systems Analysis
    • Protect and Defend: Cyber Defense Analysis
    Most of it was review for me, though the module on Weaponized Psychology was really interesting. Essentially, it focused on social engineering in relation to social media. The term weaponized disinformation (i.e., fake news) was used a lot. Other modules discussed anonymous web hosting, searching, and browsing and the use of TOR, TAILS, and Whonix and secure messaging services such as ProtonMail. There was a rather lengthy discussion on blockchain and cryptocurrency. They also showed demos on password cracking with Hydra, vulnerability scanning, TOR, and others. It's a good general education. They never said that any tools or techniques were bad or good; instead, they discussed how both sides use them.

This course and FedVTE are available only to people with government email addresses.

• bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like a cool certification. Congrats!!!
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am enjoying...I haven'y started the blockchain as it was 40mins (as most other sections were <10 mins), I guess sometimes my ADD makes me wonder off and have to break it into smaller chunks...I will finish it today though.  I like the newer videos they are putting out there, rather than some of the powerpoint slides in classroom setting they like showing...as those can get real boring quickly, I can see the attendees fading off to neverneverneverland.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    shochan said:
    I am enjoying...I haven'y started the blockchain as it was 40mins (as most other sections were <10 mins), I guess sometimes my ADD makes me wonder off and have to break it into smaller chunks...I will finish it today though.  I like the newer videos they are putting out there, rather than some of the powerpoint slides in classroom setting they like showing...as those can get real boring quickly, I can see the attendees fading off to neverneverneverland.

To be honest, I had trouble getting through that blockchain discussion and demo, especially since I have no interest in it.
  • jmarkg7jmarkg7 Registered Users Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @tedjames I just started this morning. I want to be a Cyber Dark Artisan.
    jmarkg7 said:
    @tedjames I just started this morning. I want to be a Cyber Dark Artisan.

Something something something Dark Side!
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I binged watched all of season 1 of the Witcher, it really helped me become a more well rounded cyber dark art practitioner.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• jmarkg7jmarkg7 Registered Users Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @tedjames Just completed the course and yes, it's going on my linkedin
    jmarkg7 said:
    @tedjames Just completed the course and yes, it's going on my linkedin

Great! Yeah, I should do that.
  • roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FedVTE you say?
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+