Options

Splunk Power User Certification Exam - Passed

KiyoriKiyori Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□

Hi everyone,

Today I followed up on the Splunk Core User certification with the Power User certification, and passed.  I haven’t seen a lot of recent reviews on this exam, but honestly, there’s not really much to say about it – you need to have completed the Core User certification and the Fundamentals 2 course.  Fundamentals 2 is free for veterans through their WorkPlus program:  https://workplus.splunk.com/veterans.

If you have the Fundamentals 2 course, then you have all the materials you need – nothing external required.  All of the questions came from the downloadable student guide, labs, and videos.  I would say that the student guide is way more valuable than the videos.  I studied for about 10 days (give or take a couple for New Year’s and Christmas).  The exam is 1 hour long, is not terribly difficult.

It was exactly like the Core User exam, just with material out of the Fundamentals 2 course.  The questions were very straightforward, but the answers were very tricky – paying attention to small details in syntax, case, constraints for things like calculated fields, etc. pays off.

If you don’t have access to Fundamentals 2, then I would recommend some of the cheaper courses on Udemy and by building in your homelab following Youtube tutorials.  Great supplemental materials there, and definitely a fun time building at home 😊

-kiyori
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thanks!
    I think I will start hitting the Splunk certifications.
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd like to go thru Splunk certifications, but lost access to their free courses. They are so damn expensive otherwise. I've met some Splunk employees though at a company training, and they said that to teach/present, each employee was required to obtain all certifications (on their dime), through Splunk Architect. That looks pretty good on a resume.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • Options
    riccardoslriccardosl Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bigdogz said:
    thanks!

Hello thank you for your useful advice! In order to prepare for the Power user exam, would be the data set from fundamentals 1 still enough?
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bigdogz said:
    thanks!

Hello thank you for your useful advice! In order to prepare for the Power user exam, would be the data set from fundamentals 1 still enough?

I am sorry that I did not respond in time.

I think that you should lab up as much as you can to learn the application.