Options

Cyber Security

ENormanENorman Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
I would like to get more into Cyber Security & work myself out of the call center environment of (IT HelpDesk)  Because grown people with these high paying jobs ask some crazy question. How do you turn on a telephone, Or how do you copy & paste, etc Really. What are certification can I get working myself toward Cyber Security. Any suggestion are welcome to get me start looking at some. 

Comments

• Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+ is a great start
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No certification will get you away from ignorance so if that is your only motivation then don't bother.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited January 2020
    You'd need to learn a skill and/or have experience that is demand and is worth the high paying jobs.  Like those people you are making fun of have done already...
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited January 2020
    You will always get asked dumb questions, no matter what side of "IT" you work on. To be successful in cyber, you largely need to be a self-starter. While on the help desk, learn everything you can about the security side of the OS' you support (Windows, Linux, etc). Learn how to harden the OS, troubleshoot logs, perform audits, and understand vulnerabilities. If you have some of the foundational stuff down, you can probably get someone to take a chance on you within their cyber team.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ENorman said:
    I would like to get more into Cyber Security & work myself out of the call center environment of (IT HelpDesk)  Because grown people with these high paying jobs ask some crazy question. How do you turn on a telephone, Or how do you copy & paste, etc Really. What are certification can I get working myself toward Cyber Security. Any suggestion are welcome to get me start looking at some. 

Ah, yes, my IT supervisor has to deal with the endless hand holding of people who don't know which side of a laptop to type on.
    Security+ is a good start. Read job descriptions of entry level Security Operations Center (SOC) jobs and start working towards getting some experience or at least learning as much as you can. If you are in help desk, learn how to harden Windows OS's and Servers. And be persistent. Once you break into it, then you can decide your direction in cybersecurity.
  • Options
    DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I’ve already made my peace with the fact that there will always be those who can’t get their word document to open up or such and such doesn’t work for them. The idea of certification and career progression for me aside from personal growth is, I’d much rather be paid as much money as possible to do this. 
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration
  • Options
    ENormanENorman Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for your input,  I already have security + certification