Options

Supernetting with ICND1

LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
edited January 2020 in CCNA & CCENT
I just had a Bosen test question come up that I missed. The answer was that it was a supernetting question, not a subnetting question. Is supernetting going to be a topic in ICND1? I looked in the Cisco ICND1 exam topics and in Odom's Official cert guide and didn't see anything.

Thanks!
Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
Currently Working On: Security+
2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You might get high-level questions, but in Cisco-land it's not called supernetting; it's called Route Summarization.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OK, thanks. In the Boson question explanation, they called it supernetting. In the question, the answer was to steal 3 bits away from the network, not the hosts.

Either way, I didn't think it would be on the CCENT exam.

Thanks!

Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I guess you could get a question like that. A more plausible scenario might be something like this:

You have a router that has 3 different subnets coming from different Serial interfaces.

172.16.31.0/24
    172.16.32.0/24
    172.16.33.0/24

What is the best summary route to advertise to another router?

You would then be given 4 summaries from which to choose, and you have to figure out which one wastes the fewest addresses.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College