How does my resume look so far?

sanitybreakssanitybreaks Registered Users Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
And would you hire me for a help desk role?

Comments

• kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    edited January 2020
    Sampson College:
    First line is extremely vague. The first question that I would ask as an interviewer is: "What type of technical support was provided?" and then I would proceed to grill you on that support. Do NOT let the first line of your job duties lead to an interrogation. Provide some filler info that gives your interviewer a glimpse of your abilities.

What type of image and how. "Imaged Windows client computers via Windows deployment servers (WDS)" or "Imaged standalone computers with cloning software (name the software) or hardware.

Change "troubleshooted" to "troubleshot".

Bay Valley Foods:
    Ensured issues that did not meet (state/county/city/company) food safety and quality regulations were properly reported to management. 

Change "Setup machines" to "configured machines". The term "machines" is somewhat vague so you might want to list the type of "machine".

US Army:
    Re-word the entire statement! Remove "Was responsible" and start with something like "Supervised and coordinated the daily logistical functions of warehouses to include: blurb blurb blurb".

Try to link your technical skills to your job responsibilities/work experience.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • sanitybreakssanitybreaks Registered Users Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kaiju said:
    Sampson College:
    First line is extreme vague. The first question that I would ask as an interviewer is: "What type of technical support was provided?" and then I proceeded to grill you on that support. Do NOT let the first line of your job duties lead to an interrogation. Provide some filler info that give your interviewer a glimpse of your abilities.

What type of image and how. "Imaged Windows client computers via Windows deployment servers (WDS)" or "Imaged standalone computers with cloning software (name the software)
    Change "troubleshooted" to troubleshot.

Bay Valley Foods:
    Ensured issues that did not meet (state/county/city/company) food safety and quality regulations were properly reported to management. 
    Change "Setup machines" to "configured machines". The term "machines" is somewhat vague so you might want to list the type of "machine".

US Army:
    Re-word the entire statement! Remove "Was responsible" and start with something like "Supervised and coordinated the daily logistical functions of warehouses to include: blurb blurb blurb".

Try to link your technical skills to your job responsibilities/work experience.
    Got it, you're right. Thanks.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited January 2020
    For the skills section, I would change these for each and every job application to so that they align with several of the skills that the ad is asking for. For the saved money bullet, this feels vague, but might be okay. Approximately how much are we talking and over what time period? The how you saved them money is a natural flowing question that should pop up in an interview I'd think.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    edited January 2020
    Very good feedback up there. A few thoughts:
    - Those accomplishments do not add any value. As stated above, you need to specify. Example:"Saved company $X by implementing new process of XYX"
    - "Troubleshooted" sound weird. Not saying it's wrong, just that I would rephrase it
    - PowerShell is capitalized incorrectly, so is VMware (as a hiring manager I have zero tolerance for this)
    - In organizations, it looks like two separate things. I would do "Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP)"

• LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    - PowerShell is capitalized incorrectly, so is VMware (as a hiring manager I have zero tolerance for this)

What is your standard on E-Mail?

I'm quite familiar with these things and a pretty strict grammar...aficionado...myself, but I will get VMware wrong on occasion and usually use Powershell (posh? PoSH? PoSh?). I get that the resume should reflect professionalism and attention to detail, but...different people different lines. :)

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    to LonerVamp said:

What is your standard on E-Mail?

I'm quite familiar with these things and a pretty strict grammar...aficionado...myself, but I will get VMware wrong on occasion and usually use Powershell (posh? PoSH? PoSh?). I get that the resume should reflect professionalism and attention to detail, but...different people different lines. :)
    To be honest, I don't care about e-mail vs. email, cyber security vs. cybersecurity since there's no authoritative source. My pet peeve is proper nouns. 
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since I butted in with snark, I thought I'd add some thoughts to the OP.  :disappointed:

"Resolved support tickets via the company's ticketing system" --> Possessive company is always awkward. I'd remove "the company's." I'd even suggest naming the ticket system.
    "Imaged desktop and laptop computers" --> What OS? What did you use for imaging? I'd be specific, as it, to me shows deeper interest.
    "Troubleshooted" --> I also don't like this one. As an alternative since this is a present job, I'd try switching my verb tense to present and see how that goes. Provide, Resolve, Image, Troubleshoot/Repair. You could even go with adding "-ing" to the end instead, but I prefer the former.

Under Skills, I'd try to be more specific with vendors/versions when possible. Also, you call out Linux, but not Windows.

I personally would call out the AAS as projected. Some people get twitchy about how it looks like you have it until someone looks at the date.

It's been many years since I interviewed people for help desk or technical support positions, but I would give you a chance at an interview even with the resume as is. The fact you have A+, and few other things like Linux and PowerShell suggest you might lean on the "geek" or enthusiastic side of IT rather than just filling a job 9-5. Maintaining records tells me you probably know the benefit of keeping good inventory records (workstation assets and parts). And so on. I wish you luck in your search!

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • sanitybreakssanitybreaks Registered Users Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I have a question:

Would it be smart to get a help desk role for a few months to a year so I can get more in field experience, or try to skip the help desk all together?
  • roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you'd get more out of being a sysadmin for a bit than helpdesk (similar, but different). Helpdesk is usually procedural, following documented processes, help with password resets, etc. It's not usually terribly technical and you likely won't learn your way around the various operating systems. Depending on where you work and what OS's are used, you could gain some tech chops pretty quick as a hands-on sys admin. (deploy OS's, automation, scripting, containers, virtualization, etc)
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's needs Unicorns and Colorful flower watermarks in the background, then it's prefect.  
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.