Dress code

SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
Sorry if it is a bit off-topic.. what is the dress code for a SANS course ? Will I look like out of place wearing jeans and tshirt, or I have to plan for more business clothe.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    edited January 2020
    In my 7 courses I've seen everything from shorts and polo shirt to suits. If you are doing Work Study then there are guidelines.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah as a paid regular student, wear whatever is comfortable. As cyberguypr mentioned, I've done work study a few times and jeans were allowed but clean/no holes and a polo shirt typically. It's interesting to see the different types of dress for the different types of courses. My last SANS event they had a legal focused class, they were far more well dressed than the more technical ones. 
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice, I was planning my luggage, and I realized I wont have enough dress shirt and dress pants for the week (without doing laundry). So I will pack a few jeans, tshirt and a hoodie, it is SEC 560, so I am practicing to be a hacker lol. 
    SEC 560? then completely overdressed  :D
    In that kind of event, I dont want to be the loosy looking guy. 
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SANS = nerd central

Dress accordingly :-)
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    Nice.. my Star Wars Tshirt won't look out of place. 
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just make sure it's not ironed, but clean. No ConFunk.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally, my two SANS courses have been pretty casual, but I will first say that I dress how I want to dress, especially when it's for my comfort in learning and I'm spending $$$$ to be there. That has meant t-shirt and shorts.
    Part of this is also me wanting to pack lighter and not bring multiple jeans/pants. I find packing for 7 days to be an awkward level.
    That said, you could wear a suit and not necessarily stand out all that much. You'd definitely not stand out either way in between.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
    Thank you! for all your answer!
    Some conference rooms may be colder than others. You may want to dress in layers. YMMV.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bigdogz said:
    Some conference rooms may be colder than others. You may want to dress in layers. YMMV.
    Very true! They've always told me they'd rather keep it colder and keep people awake, they tend to space out if it's too warm. 
    Good.. time to get my hackerzz hoodie lol
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited January 2020
    bigdogz said:
    I don't, I'm paying $6,000+ for the course (or my company is), I'm getting everything I can out of it. I dress so I AM uncomfortable,(temperature wise, I leave my wool underwear at home) bring 5 hours energy drinks, I avoid sweets and carbs during the breaks to prevent the sugar crash, I may even stand on occasion in the back of or on the side of the room if I feel my attention is slipping.  I'm getting my moneys worth out of the course. 

Also don't be afraid to ask questions. I gotten snickers for other students when they thought I asked a stupid question, I don't care, I NEED to understand. 

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Nice,  I am getting really excited.. I am leaving on Sundays, and here it is only place where I can really chat with some people who have shared that experience.
    bigdogz said:
    I don't, I'm paying $6,000+ for the course (or my company is), I'm getting everything I can out of it. I dress so I AM uncomfortable,(temperature wise, I leave my wool underwear at home) bring 5 hours energy drinks, I avoid sweets and carbs during the breaks to prevent the sugar crash, I may even stand on occasion in the back of or on the side of the room if I feel my attention is slipping.  I'm getting my moneys worth out of the course. 

Also don't be afraid to ask questions. I gotten snickers for other students when they thought I asked a stupid question, I don't care, I NEED to understand. 

I think it may be ironic that those students laugh. I have not seen it. Everyone has different experiences and may know some of the material and clueless on the other portions. That is how you understand the topic. I can google topics forever but it is nice to ask how the concepts are applied or where that knowledge is gained.

bigdogz said:
    I gotten snickers for other students when they thought I asked a stupid question, I don't care, I NEED to understand. 

I think it may be ironic that those students laugh. I have not seen it. Everyone has different experiences and may know some of the material and clueless on the other portions. That is how you understand the topic. I can google topics forever but it is nice to ask how the concepts are applied or where that knowledge is gained.

This was during my SANS 610 course, some of the students were already preforming malware analyses as part of there jobs and were far more advanced than I was. I struggled during the course and on the exam.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The snickers would certainly tell me which professionals to avoid in the future. There should be no stupid questions. There can be some judgement, but keep it to yourself.

For me, I don't always get a chance for SANS courses, so I try to aim to get full value out of them learning-wise, and as such, I try to go above where I am currently with my knowledge. I'm 1 for 2 so far there, and I'm planning on missing again. :)

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • mjs1104mjs1104 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One year at SANS in Las Vegas I saw a guy in my 508 class that was wearing his pants rolled up to just below his knees and wasn't wearing and shoes or socks. He looked like a Hobbit in the Lord of the Rings. I didn't see him wear any shoes or socks the entire week, and all I could think of was how disgusting the floors at Caesar's Palace were and all of the pure savagery that has been spilled all over the carpet.
    GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GCCC, GCPM, GMON, GCTI, GCFA, GREM, GPEN, A+, Net+, Security+, Server+, C|EH, EnCE, ACE, CFCE, etc.
    Well, my training went well.. and the dress code was quite relaxed .. but not at the point of mjs1104.. I didnt saw anybody bare foot lol.  I had a great week and I will surely repeat the experience with another class (which one.. is still a big question for me..)
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There are dress codes for exams? Well, I was thinking about wearing a tux to my next exam...
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod

Can’t go wrong with this  
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    oh jeez those "boots" are atrocious
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are dress codes for exams? Well, I was thinking about wearing a tux to my next exam...
    Just make sure it's a speedo tux.  You wouldn't want them to think you're hiding answers in your pockets.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    thomas_ said:
    Just make sure it's a speedo tux.  You wouldn't want them to think you're hiding answers in your pockets.

LMAO! I googled that and it was exactly what I was expecting. I've been taking my exams in Dubai at the Society of Engineers building, trying to show up there in a speedo tux would no doubt get me arrested for indecent exposure 😂
    On the other hand, the SoE building is opulent, wearing a tux there would almost not be out of place.
    I'm at a SANS event this week. Here's the tally:
    - 1 guy in suit
    - 3 guys polo and jeans
    - 2 guys long sleeve and jeans
    - 2 guys cargo shorts, sandals, t-shirt
    - 2 ladies business-like attire
    - Facilitator t-shirt and jeans
    edited February 2020
    I'm at a SANS event this week. Here's the tally:

That's it? Small class, even smaller conference. All the classes I attended at SANS had at least 20 students, but I did see smaller class rooms.  To be fair, I was back in my class before the session started, so I don't know how many students where in the smaller classes.