Current SANS Work Study Selection Notification Lead Times...

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
For anyone that has done a work study this year, what was the amount of time before the training that you were notified you were selected to facilitate? I haven't done one since 2016 but I'm itching to do another. Back around the beginning of 2017 I had to decline one I was selected for as I was notified with like two weeks notice.  I know they were really bad about it for a while. Wondering if they've improved in that department. I need ideally a 4 week heads up but the more the better. They have an event coming to my city for the first time next year so I plan on applying.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    About one month for mine.  
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've heard others say about a month at my last one, I did one around 6 months ago and my notification was maybe 2 weeks or so out. It was a small class so maybe they were just waiting to see if there were enough students to fill the class to need their own facilitator. 

I applied for a few more and I'm hoping they give me more notice this time if I get picked. 
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm doing work study next week. They let me know I was accepted 7/29.
  • CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got about 6 weeks notice for a course that was in Berlin (I live in the UK). I had to turn it down unfortunately.  It was annoying though as they only give me about 4 days in which to answer   

I had a slightly negative experience with Sans after they offered the work study placement.  I was incredibly grateful and desperate to attend. 

I asked them 2-3 questions about possible flight timings I was looking at, hotel issues, etc...

They didn't reply for 4 days and when they did they copied someone in saying they could answer the questions as they were organising the event. This person didn't respond though. 

In the end I just couldn't afford it or get the arrangements sorted quick enough. 

Course: £1500
    Flights: £400
    Accommodation: £2000

As I was paying for myself (not work) I struggled.

I will try again but will stick only to UK ones 
    My Aims
    2017: OSCP -
    COMPLETED
    2018: CISSP -
    COMPLETED
    2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
    COMPLETED
               GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
    COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
    2022: OSWE (hopefully)
  • tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Received notice that I was placed on a waiting list 1 month after applying. Keeping hope alive that I am selected.
    Curious as to how many work study assignments people have done in a year? 1 to 2? 
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    edited January 2020
    I've done 1 per year, 7 years in a row. I met a facilitator once who did 3 in one year. He got a severance due to layoffs and somehow convinced SANS to let him do those 3 in the space of a few months.
    ^^lol, Istarted to pm you, but figured this info would be good for everybody. Was just selected for work study after applying intermittently over the last 5 years. Was thinking of applying again later in the year as I will be facilitating next month, but once per year would also be awesome. Super excited and looking forward to it.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I just got waitlisted for one and asked if I can be on-call. Unfortunately with the nature of my job (pre-sales) that's not possible so unfortunately I'm going to have to decline. Double unfortunate because it's one right where I live too....
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework