Updating Resume: Add Studying Cert(s)?

PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm applying for an internal IT support role. My long term goal is cloud, which the company is moving towards. So, that's what I'm currently studying and have an exam scheduled for.

Should I put that on my resume? I want to show that I'm being proactive about my future, though the cert is not directly related for the role.

Comments

• bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can mention it to an employer or recruiter but do not add it on your resume.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Unless you are real close to your exam, and you are almost ready, I wont write it on your resume. However, it is a good point to tell while in an interview. 
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How comfortable are you discussing any of the exam objectives if the interviewer asked you about it during the interview?
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is kind of a grey area if you actually have it scheduled, I think if you're confident and have the exam scheduled you can list a future date for that. I've just seen so many resumes that want to list buzzwords for what they are studying for hoping to pass HR filters but really haven't even picked up a book, that I'm a little jaded. 
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If you put something on your resume, I will ask you about it. If you put "CCSP" or other cloud cert, I ask about a CASB, and you can't tell what that is, you see how this goes downhill quick. If you just started reading through the material you may not know what that is. So long story short, I agree to only include if your studies are VERY advanced. 
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I only list the certifications that I have actually obtained. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't list it unless you have actually passed it and are comfortable answering questions about it. As a manager at my first pentester job interview once said "Well I know a lot of people that have signed up for the OSCP or are in the process but none of them have actually passed it. Call me back when you pass." This is exactly would could happen to you listing cert that you are studying for on your resume.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
    McxRisley said:
    Don't list it unless you have actually passed it and are comfortable answering questions about it. As a manager at my first pentester job interview once said "Well I know a lot of people that have signed up for the OSCP or are in the process but none of them have actually passed it. Call me back when you pass." This is exactly would could happen to you listing cert that you are studying for on your resume.
    I interviewed a guy who said he was scheduled for the Sec+, and was studying for the CISSP and OSCP. I asked a few questions, His face when I mentioned something about the CIA triad... total confusion. I was like, so wait, you're planning on taking the Sec+ in a few weeks and never heard of any of this? Didn't go well. 
    Danielm7 said:
    McxRisley said:
    I interviewed a guy who said he was scheduled for the Sec+, and was studying for the CISSP and OSCP. I asked a few questions, His face when I mentioned something about the CIA triad... total confusion. I was like, so wait, you're planning on taking the Sec+ in a few weeks and never heard of any of this? Didn't go well. 
    Maybe he just didn't get to that section yet. That table of contents is a lot to wrap one's head around :-)
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited February 2020
    E Double U said:
     AZ-900
    I just put on a bunch of certifications on my resume and cross them out, this way it looks like I had them at one point. 

CISSP, CCNP, GEC
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Never. I will put it in my cover letter if it's relevant. Resume is for things I've already done. Cover letter is where I get their attention. Interview is where I sell myself. 

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    No.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I suppose you can put it on if you want, but just make it excrutiatingly clear you do not possess the cert yet, and are studying for it with a completion date.

If I interview you, I will likely ask questions towards it if it's a cert I am familiar with, and especially if your target date is approaching. I mean, maybe I can give some tips, ya know?

On the downside, if you're getting a blue team role and you have 3 in process certs for pentesting stuff, I'm going to sort of wonder if you're going to jump elsewhere once you get them...

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    A resume (and CV) is a history of your accomplishments and work-in-progress is rarely appropriate to mention in those places. Therefore, best to save that info for the interviews. If you want to get hiring-candidate-credit for certification then hurry up and pass that cert exam! :)
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I've seen so many CVs with "CISSP" on them and when I ask about it, they say they're studying for it.  I familiar the content of the CISSP so I'll ask deeper questions, but I can't say the same about all hiring managers.

I personally don't put anything on CV that I haven't mastered already. I also removed a lot of my old irrelevant certificates.

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks all for your responses! I didn't realize I might be quized on the cert. The role and cert weren't related, and I just wanted to look beneficial. I'm leaving it off, as I wouldn't be ready to answer any questions.

... which me reminded me, don't put anything on the resume, I can't answer to.
    UnixGuy said:
    I've seen so many CVs with "CISSP" on them and when I ask about it, they say they're studying for it.  I familiar the content of the CISSP so I'll ask deeper questions, but I can't say the same about all hiring managers.

I personally don't put anything on CV that I haven't mastered already. I also removed a lot of my old irrelevant certificates.

This is the huge one as it's like the HR gatekeeper cert for a lot of higher security roles. I've seen so many variants of "I don't really have it but I want the letters on my resume" it's not even funny. CISSP capable, CISSP qualified, CISSP reviewing, etc. 
  • DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It would reflect so much better on you if you are straightforward and put down what you actually know and have. Meanwhile working as hard as you can to get the certs that you need to add them to your resume as quickly as possible. Use your cover letter or the interview to talk about your long term goals and what you’re currently doing with certs. 
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UnixGuy said:

I agree, I hate seeing something like "cryptography" and really they've only renewed certs on a few websites. The best people will at least admit that; the worst will not understand what they don't know or try to actively front about it.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I'm a little bit pessimistic, so I'll just re-iterate that not all hiring managers are aware of the contents of CISSP. I had a hiring manager (client of mine) telling me that they were impressed because a candidate was a "director of ISACA" (meaningless made up title)... Sometimes hiring managers are government employees or CFOs or business people or IT managers who are not experts in this area.

I agree with everyone's sentiment, remove the fluff and put things you actually achieved.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I always include my certification organization membership numbers (for ISC2, CompTIA, etc.) on my resume just in case anyone wants to check the validity of my certs. I've yet to be asked why I've let all my certs (except CISSP) expire, so maybe no one ever checks.
    JDMurray said:
    I always include my certification organization membership numbers (for ISC2, CompTIA, etc.) on my resume just in case anyone wants to check the validity of my certs. I've yet to be asked why I've let all my certs (except CISSP) expire, so maybe no one ever checks.
    Interesting. I only put the membership numbers on my LinkedIn profile or in a profile within the company's Taleo system. 

Funny thing is no interviewer ever asks me about certs. They only ask me to elaborate on my job experience and then drill me with questions relevant to the role.